IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

^ Untilted has kinda mild compression - had some fun recently playing it through the Analog Rytm compressor in extreme settings, this changed the sound of it pretty radically. Not necessarily better, it lost some transparency, but certainly a lot fuller/more badass... try this at home imo,

yeah i can see that working but it's not just a loudness thing... e.g. the soundbards from that era (art school, pontins) sound alot fuller and warmer to me ironically (down to individual drum sounds, some being the exact same as on the album) and they're probably the best aspect about untilted to me in hindsight, listened the shit out of those. i thought maybe the vinyls would get things fixed but they're maybe even worse... dunno :I

oh yeah, iera = bestest. followed by ipacial and augmatic. judged only by formal criteria those are some of the best shit they've ever done fo sho. as well the sparky d remix part of sublimit (which tbqh goes a bit too much down the standard "idm" path after that...)

still my fav album too

regearding the sound...the art school s.board was mixed for that room and to be played very loud; totally different approach, the eq curve is more 'smiley'

I think the dryness on Untilted definetely works in its favor, that intense pristine feel it gives, makes the squelchier sounds just sound even more awesome in contrast when they do appear. 

its honestly p depressing that they didn't just make another "beat" album. but oversteps is cool so n worries

It's honestly pretty depressing they stopped having Alex Rutterford do their album art

seriously! i still think the art for elseq is especially terrible. their music deserves better.

It's one of my least favorite Autechre albums but it's still good. I just don't get a lot of much emotional complexity from this one, although the "driving off a cliff and still floating" part of LCC did bring tears of joy to my eyes the first few times I heard it.  

its honestly p depressing that they didn't just make another "beat" album. but oversteps is cool so n worries

I agree with this tho... every time I listen to Cichlisuite or this I'm like where the fuck are the beatbox workouts? Come on guys you have homemade morphing mutant drum machines now, just blast us with a barrage of beats. Hopefully they'll want to do more of that after doing this more ambient tour.

I remember when Untitled leaked it was one of the few times I actually thought it was a fake and it turned out to be real. (not to be confused by the real actually fake orchestrated by awepittance & gl0tch)

.. I couldn;t believe they would use such dry sounds, and the album was much faster, and much more minimal than I was expecting. Prob about halfway through Ipacial Section I started to think it might be the real deal. As usual the details reveal themselves over successive listens

Still think it trails off slightly by the last few tracks, but that run of Ipacial-Iera is golden.

Well i likee the trail off of the last 3 tracks, that sudden turn towards something that reveals completely at the end of sublimit and suddenly it all makes sense, the complete album, ae, music in general...even more. The aftertaste of untilted is unmaetched in modern music history imo

The days when Confield and Untilted randomly clicked with me were some of the greatest days of my young adult life. Untilted was the GOAT car album, like a rollercoaster you strap into and then hurtle along INSIDE the music. It was as architecturally dynamic and orgasmic as ae ever really got, but in that sense it was also relatively direct, cold and dry if not in the mood, a very beats-led experience.

I wore it out pretty heavily in the Oversteps-Exai interlude, and have barely touched it since. Might be ripe to go again now.

but that run of Ipacial-Iera is golden.

For me its all about the first 4 tracks in their album order, LCC-Augmatic Disport.  If that were an ep it would be the best autechre ep.  I still dig the tracks that come after (and this album as a whole) but those first 4 uncover all of the 'ground' that the rest of the album inhabits, if that makes sense.

Edited by Marked x 0ne

This still sounds even fresher than their recent releases, back when they didn't feel the need to deep fry everything in reverb n stuff

I agree with this, mostly. Some of their new stuff is still 'fresher' though (Spl9 comes to mind immediately). But good observation

To me this is always my go to record when I am looking for an AE album I want to listen to start to finish. I didn't give this album due credit when it first came out. Around two years ago I was stuck in typical LA traffic, trying to move 5 miles to get a hot shot delivery and Pro Radii came through on the shuffle. I thought I was listening to something I had completely missed and I started visiting the tracks over and over.... Sounds as fresh and new today and I felt bad for not giving it the detailed listening it deserved when it first came out. Now my number one. In fact, I would venture to say Latentcall calls back to the sound and programming of this master work.

Edited by Lexicon

Finally bit the bullet and bought a bit of elektron gear recently (a rytm). Been slowly getting to grips with it but it blows my mind that autechre could get this sort of complexity out of a similar interface. They must know their kit absolutely inside out.

Still sounds immense this album, but no idea why fermium is on it - got to be one of their weakest tracks. If they had swapped that for a studio version of one of the bangers they were doing live at the same time, this would be the ae album to rule them all.