IGNORED

Untilted

Redruth

15 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

From the age of them do you think it was just a university project that somehow made it to the internetwork ?

I realize now that one of the girls is also the author ... well, the result is what it is, but fine that she has gone to mix two worlds so distant. Staying on pindaric combinations, I found this, which is quite suggestive:

• 3 months later...

Some of this album coheres rather well but not every song with every adjacent song imo. I think that Fermium should have been removed from the album and released a single, leaving Untitled to have a run time of 1:04:12. Here's an alternate track order for all y'all:

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

(Although the lads are of course a legendary class act in their live performances, the snippet of the Zurich set from 2001 is really out of place and so very very not soundboard quality. To my mind this is at least one instance of a Japanese bonus track detracting from the album.)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, splesh said:

Some of this album coheres rather well but not every song with every adjacent song imo. I think that Fermium should have been removed from the album and released a single, leaving Untitled to have a run time of 1:04:12. Here's an alternate track order for all y'all:

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

hm, not sure about Fermium on its own, feels naked like that. but it is a little bit of an odd one out on the album perhaps, so i see the case there. 

random thoughts listening to this tracklisting:

• LCC as opener and Sublimit as closer is necessary, good work on not trying to fuck with that
  • not sure about The Trees as track 2, feels a little too close in shape to LCC
  • Ipacial into Iera is fucking great
  • Iera into Pro Radii works pretty well
  • Pro Radii into Sublimit works pretty well too

overall not as offensive as i'd expected trying to tweak what's pretty close to a perfect album. may see about doing an alternate tracklist of my own

• Thanks 1

Not saying I have the perfect alternate order or one better than the lads' own sequencing, just trying to find another order that works decently. And yeah, Fermium does feel like the odd one out in some impossibly hard (for me) to pinpoint way. I think the main trick for fitting together some of it together better might be editing the endings just right. I'm kinda curious about coming up with alternate tracklistings for all their albums now, actually.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, splesh said:

Not saying I have the perfect alternate order or one better than the lads' own sequencing, just trying to find another order that works decently. And yeah, Fermium does feel like the odd one out in some impossibly hard (for me) to pinpoint way. I think the main trick for fitting together some of it together better might be editing the endings just right. I'm kinda curious about coming up with alternate tracklistings for all their albums now, actually.

can't you hear the essence of Fermium in the second half of Sublimit? how to go beyond visible, beyond the machine, how to push the limits, to transcend? that's how untilted's narrative smells to me and without Fermium the album would lost its narrative imo. yes, it's odd bc it proposes a healthier approach after the ill sounding first part of iera, and continues the bright feelings of the second part of Iera. Iera was a bridge to the new world and Fermium is the entrance to the world but that new world comes at the very end of the album. imo

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

i played this last (wild) weekend after years of listening to other othercre and it's my favorite right now, it's also the first one that introduced me to em. perfect album

also redruth come back, we're sorry :cattears:

• 3 months later...

Blasting this album very loud today and o wow!

Can this be Autechre happiest album!? It is pure joyful bouncy rhythm focused with catchy melodies all over the place!
The Trees has the perfect ending and that track is so good but Sublimit takes the cake! 

• 4 months later...

So, this one has really grown on my over the years. First, fairly quickly (I was really disappointed when it first leaked and suspected it wasn't genuine because it was so much, to my ears, less organic – the buildup in LCC was especially challenging). I picked up the CD the day it was released and found it worked a lot better in my car. The Second half of LCC won me over. But then, the sort of jack-in-the-box / xylophone bits that come in halfway through Ipacial threw me again (and remain my least favorite elements on the whole record). I also continue to have difficulty with the manic, almost accordion-like stabs that come in around 3 minutes and 40 seconds into Sublimit. Apart from those bits, I've been fond of the record for its almost two decades now (gosh, that's a bit nuts – two decades...).

But! I have found a newfound appreciation recently for how crisp and physical (and hard) the whole thing sounds. And I'm not using "physical" to reference the use of hardware, although there is that too, but to describe the sound(s) as feeling very solid. Like everything is gunmetal and neon. Almost nothing is cushioned (Pro Radii is maybe the main exception, sounds a bit more rubbery and less metallic). I think the Elektrons definitely have something to do with this (going back and sampling bits of sequences from my Machinedrum has reminded me of those specificities), but it's also got something that is practically unique to it. Quaristice comes closest, but it still doesn't leave me with the same impression of physicality.

Edited by mTesc
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

that last minute of iera tho  :psyduck:

Yeah, that track might be my favorite. The tonal / melodic elements throw a very similar mood to SURRIPERE and THEME OF SUDDEN ROUNDABOUT – like something mysterious but decisive is happening (or maybe it strikes me as more first person, that the author is doing something decisive yet mysterious). The swagger of the opening rhythm is also completely badass.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Been revisiting this album this week. Still holds up quite well I think, considering it's been nearly two decades already.

I mean, this is still from a time before smartphones and social media began to dominate our lives. Pretty nuts if you listen to it and think about that.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah it's real good, especially how it matches the 3 distinct sections into the three different size scales and the colour match with the album art !

Reminds me of this guy's animation for Giant Steps:

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Idk how people find this a 'hard' album to get into. In my opinion this is one of the best structured ae albums to date and thats what made it an easy listen i think. the song structures are pretty conventional since almost every track is in 4/4 and has clear sections. The damn progression that all of these tracks go through is unmatched. I cherish Untilted for being one of the first ae albums i listened to. The LCC - Augmatic Disport run is just too good, it never gets old. Something about the crispness of the album just feels satisfying. I have seen a lot of people calling this album dry but i don't think thats the right way to frame what it sounds like. I would say Draft sounds way drier, something about the noises on that album make me think of scraping shit up or having a dry mouth, love it anyway though but i would choose this album over draft any day of the week.

the way this album sounds so chaotic yet so insanely well paced and built just makes me have a soft spot for it.

• Like 11