200 members have voted

1. 1. What was your score?

• 0 - 10
    • 11 - 22
    • 23 - 31
    • 32 - 50

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I know I'm not autistic because I'm actually pretty socially aware, I just don't give a fuck most of the time.

Now Sensory Processing Sensitivity tests I'm off the charts on, but that's too common to even be considered a disorder. That's just 20%-ish of the population who are congenitally weird and probably more like 80% of musicians.

Seriously, when a friend finally convinced me to ake one of those SPS tests (I'm not a fan of self-diagnosis at all - except for the memes - but I caved after I found out there's actually a decent body of legitimate, REPLICATED, research and it has even been linked to some genetic markers) the only reason I didn't get a full 100% is the stuff about being uncomfortable around violent movies and loud noises.  Violent movies and loud noises are awesome, so I had to give a hard "no" to three questions.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1

i only scored a 26 but the entire time i was thinking about how you could get much more telling scores by only adding a bit better answer options and a few better questions so i think that’s worth like 5 extra points at least

• Like 1

15 out of 50.

I'm actually glad this topic got bumped, because I have this friend...

Long story short... a former colleague and good friend of mine called me a couple of years ago and said he wanted to apologise if he had ever acted strangely, because he had just been diagnosed with ADHD. I told him, "no man, you've never seemed off to me in any way". To add some context, his parents have never really been there for him. It's not that they treated him badly, but their focus was on his sister. But he's an intelligent guy and very easy-going. But getting this diagnosis seemed to help him understand himself somehow.

6 months later I spoke to him again and in the meantime he had been reading up on autism and had diagnosed himself with autism. That in itself sounds absolutely insane - at least to me. But I would love to hear people's thoughts/experience with this?

But wait, there's more... he then diagnosed his daughter with autism as well. Then a little later his son and then finally his wife. Both kids are now home schooled because it's "best for them" and every time I hang out with him now he likes to get deep and talk about my familly for some fucking reason and every time he'll go, "Sorry, if I'm being too direct, but that's just the way my brain is wired".

And every time I think to myself, "No, man... I don't think that's the case. I think that you think that you're autistic and now you think these little quirks are due to you being "neurodivergent"."

Earlier this year he got fired from his job because he was "being too direct, but that's just because of how my brain is wired" and he's now a self-proclaimed expert and a therapist on the subject of neurodivergence and offers consultations.

Ok, timeout. Thoughts?

Great, now check this out...

Spoiler

He's currently being professionally diagnosed and it turns out he might be autistic after all.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Squee said:

15 out of 50.

I'm actually glad this topic got bumped. Long story short... a former colleague and good friend of mine called me a couple of years ago and said he wanted to apologise if he had ever acted strangely, but he had just been diagnosed with ADHD. I told him, "no man, you've never seem off to me in any way". To add some context, his parents have never really been there for him. It's not that they treated him badly in any way, but their focus was on his sister. But he's an intelligent guy and very easy-going. But getting this diagnosis seemed to help him understand himself somehow.

6 months later I spoke to him again and in the meantime he had been reading up on autism and had diagnosed himself with autism. That in itself sounds absolutely insane - at least to me. But I would love to hear people's thoughts/experience with this?

But wait, there's more... he then diagnosed his daughter with autism as well. Then a little later his son and then finally his wife. Both kids are now home schooled because it's "best for them" and every time I hang out with him now he likes to get deep and talk about my familly for some fucking reason and every time he'll go, "Sorry, if I'm being too direct, but that's just the way my brain is wired".

And every time I think to myself, "No, man... I don't think that's the case. I think that you think that you're autistic and now you think these little quirks are due to you being "neurodivergent"."

Earlier this year he got fired from his job because he was "being too direct, but that's just because of how my brain is wired" and he's now a self-proclaimed expert and a therapist on the subject of neurodivergence and offers consultations.

Ok, timeout. Thoughts?

Great, now check this out...

Reveal hidden contents

He's currently being professionally diagnosed and it turns out he might be autistic after all.

Thoughts?

Autism aside it sounds like he's projecting it on his children which is a big no-no. You absolutely can home school a child but you need it to have a "normal" social life to learn how to get to terms with living and behaving in modern society.. Unless it's heavily on the autism spectrum, yeah, but then it needs some sort of assistance/special schooling to integrate into society. Sounds like a long time spent with him doesn't exactly result in that, I'd be worried about them copying his behavior instead of growing up in a broader spectrum of people to be inspired by (like teachers).

Diagnosing the whole family with autism and taking them out of school sounds more like a case of neo-hippie bullshit.. Making this decision in Switzerland by yourself to take a child out of an existing structure of learning, with the reason being diagnosed autism, but by yourself and not a professional - would get KESP involved, basically the police for children and adult security. Here you can only homeschool as a teacher IIRC, and you have to teach the child the obligatory swiss-approved yearly school material.

2 minutes ago, chronical said:

Autism aside it sounds like he's projecting it on his children which is a big no-no. You absolutely can home school a child but you need it to have a "normal" social life to learn how to get to terms with living and behaving in modern society.. Unless it's heavily on the autism spectrum, yeah, but then it needs some sort of assistance/special schooling to integrate into society. Sounds like a long time spent with him doesn't exactly result in that, I'd be worried about them copying his behavior instead of growing up in a broader spectrum of people to be inspired by (like teachers).

Diagnosing the whole family with autism and taking them out of school sounds more like a case of neo-hippie bullshit.. Making this decision in Switzerland by yourself to take a child out of an existing structure of learning, with the reason being diagnosed autism, but by yourself and not a professional - would get KESP involved, basically the police for children and adult security. Here you can only homeschool as a teacher IIRC, and you have to teach the child the obligatory swiss-approved yearly school material.

I'm glad this is the first reaction I get because I sometimes can't tell if I'm just overly unsympathetic about this situation - but when his kids are brought into this I'm seeing red flags all over the place - or all over the spectrum.

It has been some time since I've seen his kids, but as far as I remember they were both very outgoing and nothing about them made me think they were "special" in any kind of way. I can only compare them to another child I know who has been diagnosed with infantile autism and boy howdy that's a whole different league of special.

I've been thinking... imagine his daughter is at a get-together when she's in her mid-20s. She's talking to some person who turns out to be an expert in the field of autism and she tells him, "Oh I was diagnosed when I was 6 years old" and the person she is talking to goes, "Haha, what? No." That would be something.