IGNORED

New Autechre EP - L Event

kiya

I find I have to be prepared and in a certain mood for the last two tracks. They're too abstract and not immediate tracks for me to head to straight away and enjoy. Very different for the first two though - I find they work for me every time I play them.

Anyone feeling the first two tracks, then pretty meh about the last two? Only had one listen so far mind...

I listened thru the EP five or six times now. The fourth track is OK but the third is meh for me. My impression hasn't really changed from the initial listen, though it's only been Friday since the Warp stream.

I don't get the love for newbound. To me it's the least interesting track on the EP by far. I love the other 3 but newbound just doesn't gel with me yet. I find it unbelievable that there are Ae fans that prefer newbound over tac lacora. The latter being easily one of the best Ae tracks I've heard since Draft 7.30

Only listened through PC and car speakers so far...but in M39 Diffain, I can definitely hear

a mario shell noise at 4:44 and 5:25

edit: I haven't been able to un-hear it yet, so proceed at your own risk

maybe they're using yamaha ry30? (samples or pulled it out of closet?) you can't fuck with making your own sounds on that and not end up on a mario tip. If other people are saying wood blocks and stuff too...

Listening to the bleep preview now...Liking it. I can hear the distinctive pitch bend envelope on a couple other sounds...And I know the RY uses an 808 sample, but this has the same "body" and warmth/fullness...it's nice... I use samples of the ry more than the real 808...

The way bleep chunks stuff into 25 seconds bites is a head fuck, but it gives an interesting perspective. Sounds like a remix album of the last 15-20ish years. Exai sounded like that conceptually, but this sounds more obvious sonically, to me, like they're clearly digging in the vaults. Autechre seems quite good at self-reflection and analysis of their own work, in order to build upon it, which is pretty impressive. Gaze into the abyss*, blah, blah.

My theory: L-event = L = Ableton Live. Fucking Yellow yo. Putting old stuff into clips, max4live, etc. That's my projecting mumbo jumbo wank, at least. Live has always seemed kinda BS for composing, but since version 1 it's always rocked out for remixing/working with audio and effects and actually playing live. The L-Event cover is 16x16? 16 clips? 16 years of tunes?

Obviously, multiple layers of possible meaning make it fun and I think that's the whole point of the names. If you could pin it down to any one thing, it gets boring.

It's always hard to tell with Ae, in how much are they chomskyite grammar/ linguistic freaks making puns and jokes and how much is severe dyslexia. My friend that's super dyslexic and only makes tracks super stoned comes up with track names that are very autechrey, completely unintentionally. The titles used to look like gibberish, or random, to me, but they were just using a different thought process about language and once he told me what they said, I could see how he came up with it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=krL3Jtfgfg8C&pg=PA200&lpg=PA200&dq=%22l+event%22+sequence&source=bl&ots=EvP9CzwqIW&sig=Rw2EOyYBHzPGg70Qf0_wH54tKIU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KKY3UvToD7Le4AOP5IDwDA&ved=0CEIQ6AEwBjgK#v=onepage&q=%22l%20event%22%20sequence&f=false

*or Gaze+into+the+fist+of+dredd0.jpg

Anyway.... digging Osla for n a lot, dark and funky. newbond's melody "glitches" are rad, interesting "new" take on it, like going back to nine. I'll have to buy this when I'm not using my phone's data plan.

I don't get the love for newbound. To me it's the least interesting track on the EP by far. I love the other 3 but newbound just doesn't gel with me yet. I find it unbelievable that there are Ae fans that prefer newbound over tac lacora. The latter being easily one of the best Ae tracks I've heard since Draft 7.30

weird i think it's an awesome track

aedance.gif

Well tac lacora is definitely better than newbound, I must agree there. But newbound is still good IMO. Not as good as tracks 1&2, and not as good as many songs on Exai, but it's still good.

It just has lots of true-feels to it

Edited by fizzkinz

All of the tracks are awesome except for osla for N.

That damn repetitive percussion throughout sounds like when I scrape the frost off my fucking windows. It's by far the least interesting song I've ever heard from Autechre and I can't believe it's on this EP next to some of their best work. Almost seems like they were trolling or something.

M39 Diffain is one of Autechre's defining tracks for me. It's absolutely brilliant.

Edit: Did mushrooms for this EP of course. I'm sure it's great sober, but it was truly a mindfuck with the zooms. I found it very spatial (Exai was like this too), and strangely "wet" sounding. I don't know how to describe it other than wet.. lol. It was great.

Edited by StephenG

Hats in olsa sound just like ones in V take fastroll off gescom skull snap

I noticed this too, not the same, but very close. Fastroll was extra funky piece though, Osla's more like exercise in odd rhythm

Osla for n's rhythm is mostly a shuffle tweak set to randomize or heavily shuffle the beat...2-3 minutes in they twist the shuffle slowly to 'off' or nearly off, and the regular (regular for AE at least...) beat appears. or some similar process. I noticed this on the first play through and was already bored with the track, so kind of realizing there's not even some cool reason for it, i just don't understand the need for this track. does nothing at all for me, even the one or two moments towards the end where the groove is bearable.

I noticed this too, not the same, but very close. Fastroll was extra funky piece though, Osla's more like exercise in odd rhythm

Osla for n's rhythm is mostly a shuffle tweak set to randomize or heavily shuffle the beat...2-3 minutes in they twist the shuffle slowly to 'off' or nearly off, and the regular (regular for AE at least...) beat appears. or some similar process. I noticed this on the first play through and was already bored with the track, so kind of realizing there's not even some cool reason for it, i just don't understand the need for this track. does nothing at all for me, even the one or two moments towards the end where the groove is bearable.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was boring!

it's just been out for maybe 4-5 days , give it some friggin time will ya

also i'm glad i don't know anything about music production cause it seems to kill the true vibe and feel in music

also i'm glad i don't know anything about music production cause it seems to kill the true vibe and feel in music

Only that track mr ooze. The other 3 tracks were absolutely top notch.

Well I like osla the best so pffffffffffffff.

It's like being in a drifting space station with malfunctioning computers, very eerie.

Anyone else think the sounds in these tracks are the best they've ever done?

All the ambience and noises in these tracks are even better than the Exai ones, these pair are getting better with age.

Yeah, certainly the best sound design since Draft, imo. I was a bit disappointed with the use of super dry percussion, but then again, where is there to go after the mindfuck of Confield/Draft?

Also, I quite like Osla for n; the syncopation is really fucked up. And the 'chords' are super lush.. well, at least as super lush as discordant chords can be.

I didn't enjoy it on the first, second, third, fourth or fifth listen. If eventually I end up enjoying the track, so be it. But at this point I've no desire to listen to it, and will likely be skipping it for the near future. The EP is otherwise good, and I'm looking forward to getting the CD in so I can hear it in all its beautiful full quality.

Personally, knowing some aspects of music creation is interesting and gives a different perspective on the music. Not better or worse necessarily though. Keep in mind, anything me or anyone else speculates about their techniques is very possibly incorrect. They have the reputation they do for a reason; they are masters of manipulating electronic sounds and gear.

weird i think it's an awesome track

aedance.gif

Definitely my favorite on the EP.

guys the best way to listen to the chre is while youre jacked into cyberspace, melting ice with a 10yr old deck

you guys just dont even know that do you

also you should try listening to it sideways

think about a math equation, then dont think about it

the track titles only reveal themselves if you make autism beats yourself or if you load the titles into an octatrack and unremix them to see what they mean

sean and rob have mindmelded so that if one of them dies the other can ressurect or find his naked body on genesis