IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

So I guess most of us can agree that it's a great album but it's no new drukqs?

Not that my opinion matters, but I actually feel that this is one album of his where every track was a great choice. I think that it flows incredibly well. I love this album, definitely think it's a contender with drukqs, maybe even better than drukqs. I get lost in these tracks. Perhaps because I've overlistened drukqs...

However, I noticed that if you listen hard in Syro, there is a lot more intricacy than is readily apparent. Every bar seems to be unique and lifelike. Although tracks like 180db are slightly repetitive and minimalistic, I get such great vibes from them that I feel that they are extremely appropriate additions to the mix. They break up the intensity, reprepping your mind for the mental beats, in a way. Don't get me wrong, I believe strongly that: complexity and intricacy =/= good music, but I still stand by my statement of this being one of his most solid releases in a long, long time.

i still can't download my .WAVs? fuck that

why was exai different? why are americans getting fucked up the ass? i'm going to go try to stick my p in some v. this is dumb.

edit: and fuck you for charging me twice for 24-bit WAVs when i pre-ordered the cd & lp of tomorrow's harvest and syro. fuckin cunts

me and you both (uh, the lack of downloads, not the whole "p in some v" bit, I might go suck some dicks though)

Guest bitroast

So I guess most of us can agree that it's a great album but it's no new drukqs?

Album easily satisfies expectations as being 'aphex twin' followup to drukqs.

Similar attention to detail but less manic/bleak, syro is more playful with sad/reflective emotions. Album aalmost sounds like a 'collection' of tracks but either by genius planning or sheer luck the album maintains an incredible flow from track to track. Having something as outright beautiful as xmaseve at start of album gives later tracks some emotional context. Tracks have incredible progression, etc

In short. Absolutely loving the album. Finding some of the kneejerk reactions in thread pretty harsh and tad more insulting than mere 'quite good'. When drukqs came out there were lots of opinions that electronic tracks were no more developed than what he was doing on come to daddy/windowlicker(people complaining and comparing). Now syro comes out and its the same thing; "album is quite good but its no drukqs".

Like, really?? Theyre different things! Syro is amazing guys .. just give it time maybe if you're not feeling it :)

Edited by bitroast

Guest bitroast

no wait, maybe my point is = to compare syro to earlier albums is one thing. to say syro is disappointing compared to previous albums says less about the new album and more about the expectations you had set up !!

Whilst i agree with many points skibby made regarding a photo posted, there seemed to be a consensus that the posted material was offensive or insensitive. I'll plug the issue into the moderator hive mind and see what happens, either way until something is decided i've made it so that you can't quote the post anymore ;-p And i'd ask that it not be reposted until we've had a little think about it (ala joyrex has chimed in).

chizamaniz. [-;

Guest LoveRhino

I have to say this weekend has passed in a lovely sonic haze of Apheex Twin thanks to the early release of the download by Bleep. It has been so damned good to have new Aphex Twin to unravel over the last few days. After around twnety or so listens (and, I must say, still nowhere near enough yet) I am just so damned happy to be listening to and finding my feet with some new Aphex Twin. It has been so nice to live through the hype and build up on this board with you all. I do not know anyone else in New Zealand who could care less about this album. That said, It was lovely to hear it blaring out of (and see it in the window of and for sale a a day early in) a record store in town today. This has been a cracking weekend for many reasons, not least of which has been its soundtrack. Also, in case I never said it, the whole Caustic Window kickstarter was very nice foreplay for this weekend. Thanks to those who made it happen. Right, back to Syro.

Edit: it's also been nice to have my eighteen month old saying "Song! Song!" every time he hears Minipops or Xmas Eve, followed by an "Aphex! Aphex!"

Edited by LoveRhino

Dads a huge Tangerine Dream fan since they first debuted. Played some syro for him, first thing he tells me is its heavy, next thing he tells me is I can make that on my computer.

aphex-cool.gif

yes, you read the guardian, i do as well.

Yep. I assume 90% of us read the article. I simply changed the color/contrast and put a logo.. then made it my avatar. I get that your avatar looks like RDJ. stop trying to be clever and just put a pic of yourself.

I personally think Syro is head and shoulders above Drukqs. Partly because of the composition, but also the fact that he's about 50 times better(exaggerated) at mixing stuff now. I mean The whole album plays with the stereo field wonderfully and lets him fit even more into a track without any elements taking over. And the bass is amazing and poppy in all the right ways, even if there is a weird distortion in tracks 1 and 2 when played at the same high volume as 3-12. If Drukqs was reworked for whatever reason with these new mixing skills of his then that would be great! I should also mention that Drukqs doesn't take the bass frequencies anywhere like Syro does.

Aphex has only gotten better is what I'm trying to say. There's a very clear trajectory from SAW to Syro where he just gets better. This is very probably my favorite album of his so far.

Edited by Brisbot

Loving this album!!! From beginning to end, it's such a joy to listen to. I seem to be favouring the second half at the moment and s950tx16wasr10 (earth portal mix) is my favourite. Right from the first play I thought this is going to be one of my favs.

I can see me playing Syro to death!

Nice one Richard. Looking forward to more.....

Edited by Aural Unrest

each day an new song reveals itself !

i was really into the CORCLONTs yesterday but today it seems it's gonna be the Earth Portal mix, it's such more complex then the rest of the album