IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

all of that live stuff could easily have been sampled and triggered from a hardware sequencer.

some of them, yes, especially the vocals. but the drums, piano, and some other bits are too long. also he listed multichannel audio recording interfaces on the gear list for those tracks, and no hardware sequencer.

all of that live stuff could easily have been sampled and triggered from a hardware sequencer.

some of them, yes, especially the vocals. but the drums, piano, and some other bits are too long. also he listed multichannel audio recording interfaces on the gear list for those tracks, and no hardware sequencer.

too long? what's the sample length of a hardware sampler these days, I can't imagine that would be problem. also, it's not possible to tell just from listening what length the samples are. He never denied using multi-channel recording, just computer edits.

Fuck how good is Syro u473...some serious luminescence going on in that track. That mini jazz fusion breakdown at 3:30 or so...then it just turns into this mind-meltingly fucking jam of jams.

Guest cult fiction

too long? what's the sample length of a hardware sampler these days, I can't imagine that would be problem. also, it's not possible to tell just from listening what length the samples are. He never denied using multi-channel recording, just computer edits.

right as ingwe noted, there's no hardware sequencer listed on some of those tracks. w/o hard sequencer, we're down to computers i'd say? the tracks on syro that sound one take(i.e. the ones made after 2010) totally sound like they're one take mixed through live, and the earlier ones like 1-5 & papat do not. i'd say he's goofing lying misremembering or most likely simplifying. maybe they're "one take" in that the DAW played out all the samples in one take as it was being bounced ::troll::

it's funny that macromat is the one he says he edited because that track is the one that most barely sounds like it's holding itself together through ahuge pile of live sysex patch switches, midi gates and eq switches... love it - the bedroom cirklony tracks are a lot more tame

Fuck how good is Syro u473...some serious luminescence going on in that track. That mini jazz fusion breakdown at 3:30 or so...then it just turns into this mind-meltingly fucking jam of jams.

I think that one's my fave.

Yeah that one's been my favorite since early on too. I may have commented before on how apt it is that it's the title track, to me it has a bit of everything that makes the album so great. Playfulness, melancholy, strange danceability, feels a bit like it comes from a different planet...

Hard to believe it's been a year give or take since Syro was released. Still feels remarkably fresh considering the amount of times I must've heard it by now.

old time aphex listener here. after much ear pounding of tis album ive distilled my favorite moment on Syro. Its pure aphex.

Circlonta6a. A track that spends it's first 2:40 minutes in tension then gives that classic aphex release. it's bliss.

yeah i suppose he might have 15 mins of sampling time in a maxed out asr10, but would be hard to keep a several-minute piano or robot drum track in perfect time. anyway, for the live performances (vocals and zither) he would have had to record them into the computer to keep them in sync with the music. i suppose he could have sampled these bits out of the computer into a sampler but seems a bit pointless if it's already in sync and ready to go.

i imagine face culler is right that he was referring to the most recent tracks with the "all live" comment, these first couple tunes are older and not fresh in memory.

I hope contemporary hip hop producers are listening to Syro, having their faces melted, etc. They would be big fans I think.

I get a hip hop vibe from 4bit. Sleazy miami year 5000 hip hop.

old time aphex listener here. after much ear pounding of tis album ive distilled my favorite moment on Syro. Its pure aphex.

Circlonta6a. A track that spends it's first 2:40 minutes in tension then gives that classic aphex release. it's bliss.

Totally agree on that. When I first heard it I melted like Amelie

Had this muthafucka cranked on the speakers tonight with the windows open. No momma is safe :dry::music: :cat summoning the user to bed.emoticon.gif:

How good is the flow of the first 3 tracks? Then I get jarred a bit when track 4 comes on...I skip it, right up until the final third which is sensational drum programming.

Also, Clissold would be a good outro for MfM.

the vocal effects at 1:38, the fluttering synth at 1:42/1:45, the breakdown at 1:54 and the female voice that appears at 2:02 in 4 bit make it one of the most unique and beautiful songs i've ever heard. 1:38-2:08 is perfect. 2:02-2:08 sounds like saying goodbye to someone. i like the rest of the song fine, but that section is just perfect.

4 bit was the sleeping giant for me. Once it woke up, it was immense! Killer tune.

Have to say just lately I'm diving back into Syro and enjoying it immensely. I pace my listening to a degree so that I never tire of tracks, and make sure I swerve tunes I have gotten slightly familiar with. So all the prime ingredients for this particular Aphex recipe are kept as fresh and as vital as possible.

That's right mofo. Pure Buddah style!

I apologise in advance, but 4bit reminds me of 2000-era Daft Punk, got that K-pop disco in space feel, ya know? Do like it mind, though I agree the placement within the album doesn't sit 100% well.

The Circlons + "earth portal" are still the standouts for me.