IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

I sincerely hope he releases something of this standard again.

Oh, please not! Extreme ornamentation on tracks that really doesn't hold up on it's own serves no use. Make good tracks instead. (I mean "180db_" works because there's a cheesy hook and some stompy drums, not any detailed programming without a track behind it!) I would much more prefer something like The Tuss tracks or Polygon Window stuff... OR will there ever be a solid 4 track EP like AB4 again?

(then again... considering his fantastic output already... how many great tracks can ONE person write?)

(the formatting on this board is weird)

In that case, you may be interested in the Orphaned Deejay Selek EP which drops on Friday. The tracks are about as basic as it gets. 4-to-the-floor drum beats looped over and over, with detuned pads and modular synth noises layered on top to create the illusion of interestingness. You'd love it.

Between listening to the SC tracks, older stuff and Syro over the last few months, it's starting to sink in how *different* Syro is. Maybe it's just me, I don't actually trust my own ears or brain, but it stands far apart from all of his other stuff in terms of style/atmosphere to me. And the more I listen, the more apparent it becomes, rather than sinking in and becoming "another regular Aphex release", it's actually going the other way and sounding more and more unique. (Not that most of his releases don't have their own uniqueness, but you know what I mean).

Makes the thought of *new* new stuff even more ball tickling.

I could see individual parts being tracked live in chunks with a bunch of gear, cirklon and mixer (+all the other shiz)

But fuck, if entire tracks off syro are in one take, sequenced live I'm convinced he's actually an alien, like Vangelis and his creepy big alien hands.

In general, how he manages to do this without massive aid from a DAW to lay it all out in is well beyond my pay grade. As is pretty much everything to do with his tunes. The album gets better and better and I notice more little things every time. It's weird, in most artist's albums everything is very cut and dry, no background noise, no hiss from gear. I think that throughout his music making that he's released in a commercial format, he has managed to put out very high quality work with easter eggs hidden about and things like the percussive effect of the noise-gating going on in XMAS. It gives it character that I don't think many musicians or producers are capable of achieving.

I'm rambling. My bad.

on Nightmail 1

@indulin: yeah syro is all live apart from marchromt which has got some edits, live or not live dont matter, i just prefer to do it like that most of the time, for a few diff reasons.

xmas evet10 or minipops as a 'live' track doesn't seem believable to me, but all the others do.

xmas evet10 or minipops as a 'live' track doesn't seem believable to me, but all the others do.

I know what you mean. just hearing him say that everything is recorded live blew my mind and everything about the way I imagined he works. but he did say that he uses a lot of program changes, so each new sound doesn't necessarily mean a new synth. also, in the Syrobonkus interview he talks about sequencing/programming an EQ matrix, saying it's tedious as fuck. as I gather more and more info, it seems like it's possible, but an insane proposition for someone that's not a genius/autistic.

I have since changed the way I produce my own music, basically doing live takes as well. it is more satisfying than piecing everything together in a DAW.

Edited by aDiscoBall

on Nightmail 1

@indulin: yeah syro is all live apart from marchromt which has got some edits, live or not live dont matter, i just prefer to do it like that most of the time, for a few diff reasons.

I heard that Orbital used to work this way too.

So are we all in agreement that XMAS_EVET10 is the best piece of music ever created by anyone ever? Goosebumps every time.

absolutely, mon frere. i don't know of another piece of music im constantly swooning over to the extent this song has done me. youtube vid of live show to syro, it's an achievement in music.

Edited by Kingdom of Heaven

So are we all in agreement that XMAS_EVET10 is the best piece of music ever created by anyone ever? Goosebumps every time.

absolutely, mon frere. i don't know of another piece of music im constantly swooning over to the extent this song has done me. youtube vid of live show to syro, it's an achievement in music.

absolutely

Guest cult fiction

not even the best track on Seero

ya know it's weird, xmas is not my fave track on syro either but i still think it's probably one of if not the best & most important pieces of electronic music ever recorded... i like other tracks better but they don't have the same holy aura of a master 20+ years deep into his craft combining huge beautiful analog synths with a fucking drum playing robot and zithers and gongs in a 10 minute acid masterpiece

ya know it's weird, xmas is not my fave track on syro either but i still think it's probably one of if not the best & most important pieces of electronic music ever recorded... i like other tracks better but they don't have the same holy aura of a master 20+ years deep into his craft combining huge beautiful analog synths with a fucking drum playing robot and zithers and gongs in a 10 minute acid masterpiece

what makes it so important?

It's long and has a lot of sounds fading in and out? I don't know, that one's never been a stand out to me, but it has some nice moments. It sounds to me like a jam piece he kept adding bits to over the years. Definitely a cool track, has a very "personal" vibe. I'd be curious to hear some alternate versions (that are more fleshed out than the one on the marchro single). There are so many ways he could have gone with the arrangement, and I suspect he tried a few different ones out before settling on the one he released.