IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, if it's time for reminiscenses, I remember my first immersive, focused listening of Syro --- it gave me jolts ... like something is off, not like expected ... in terms of pitches ... so I wonder if there is any analysis by someone with good ears on scales and tunings ...

The musicians (especially the drummer) in that minipops cover are drifting too much. More rehearsal needed. Compositionally it was handled well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is some silly stuff on this album. Some of it is even borderline embarrassing.

Do tell?

Philistine though I doubtless be, I would point to the ~4m breakdown bit of Piezoluminescence and honestly all but the last 30 seconds of Circlont6a. Still crisp and lush in terms of production, but disappointing and, as I say, silly insofar as tone and melody.

¢2.

• 3 weeks later...

Relistening to Syro and I heard something interesting... In 180db you can hear the synth melody saying "ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY DB" if you listen close enough

EDIT: Spelling and grammar

Edited by clarktrent

There is some silly stuff on this album. Some of it is even borderline embarrassing.

Do tell?

Philistine though I doubtless be, I would point to the ~4m breakdown bit of Piezoluminescence and honestly all but the last 30 seconds of Circlont6a. Still crisp and lush in terms of production, but disappointing and, as I say, silly insofar as tone and melody.

¢2.

Yeah but hasn't there been silly stuff the whole way through his discography? I mean, he's always had a sense of humour; a light touch here and there. A glint in the eye, a wink and a nudge, arched eyebrow and an eye on the mainstream.

And an extra set of eyes to do all that ;)

Fair enough. I love Windowlicker, despite the iffy second half—but that's partly because I understand it to be thoroughly tongue-in-cheek (especially given the MTV satire of the video & the similar vibe of Come to Daddy). But I don't actually get the sense that Syro is meant to be taken that way; it feels more like a serious comment on, or refinement of, a lot of trends in the bland, mainstream edm & dubstep that Marco Rubio listens to.

Which is fine, but a big aspect of Richard's appeal for me is his ear for melody. Some of his most minimal, uncomplicated tracks are also the most melodically hard-hitting, & he's always been great at inserting micro-bends & tweaks that can totally change what would otherwise become monotonous. I find Syro underwhelming in that respect.

This album seems closest in many ways to RDJ Album, which I've always had a love-hate relationship with because it's so melodically saccharine. But RDJ Album makes up for it with psychedelic weirdness like Logan Rock Witch & digital children singing about feet, arms, & ears. Syro lacks that druggy vibe, & often ends up just being sickly sweet & overly invested in the sonic-palette-du-jour (viz. the Piezoluminescence breakdown).

It's not smooth or inoffensive enough to be a genuine classic like the SAWs/Analord/ICBYD, not mental enough to rise to the level of Drukqs/HAB/Classics, & not weird enough to be fun as are Windowlicker/CTD/RDJ Album. It's got bits & pieces of each aesthetic, but it falls short of any of them.