IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

totally forgot 2 download the rhubarb track on the aphex twin soundcloud, i wonder why he didn't put that one on the user48736353001 page?

haaaargh so much music 2 listen 2

Maybe because it's got an obvious filiation with SAWII, which I suppose Warp / Chrysalis owns and is branded Aphex Twin, thus aphextwin soundcloud account.

Unless there was some deal between Richard and Warp, my guess is that the rights of all the new old tracks belong to Richard and he is free to do what he pleases with them, as long as he doesn't associate them with the Aphex Twin moniker without Warp's approval.

I wonder though if Chrysalis is involved in managing the rights of these compositions.

What was that databse website with all the Richard David James publishing rights information? Wonder if there's been a batch of new compositions added recently.

Edited by jchgf

So is it me or do some of these sound like "missing links" between styles of his? For example, the Donkey Rhubarb remix sounds like a cross between the Donkey Rhubarb EP and Melodies From Mars, especially Fingerbib given that "aphex worm" patch (the one with all the portamento). Even 70s Tune is pretty close to Fingerbib's melody. I'd love to know just how many of these happy, catchy tunes he's made and why he didn't release them back in the day. It's not like they're outtakes, they seem like parts of a pretty cohesive album in its own right that could have been released just before the Richard D. James album.

Then there's the early versions of released tracks. Isn't Metal Beat an early version of Come to Daddy (Mummy Mix)? Similarly, it sounds like Girl/Boy Dark Version got tuned and merged with bits of Cutting to form the final album version of Girl/Boy Song. (Which makes sense, didn't he mention in an interview how he'd work out the rhythm of a track, drawing in where the notes went horizontally and only roughly getting the pitch right, before he'd work out what the pitches were supposed to be?)

Should be an interesting lot to explore quite aside from how lovely some of these tracks are, especially the likely SAW 85-92 (Sam's Car) and Polygon Window (No Cares, With My Family) outtakes. Those are really a lot better than some of the tracks that made it to the albums. And I've only listened to a fraction of these so far...

What was that databse website with all the Richard David James publishing rights information? Wonder if there's been a batch of new compositions added recently.

It looks like Syro's tracks have been added and maybe a few others? Certainly not a hundred.

Sams Car is such a tease with the chord progression going on. I keep waiting for that "finished" chord progression bit

love that though

Edited by Berk

Cannot stop playing ACH. Absolutely relentless.

Just came here to post that. Realized playing it in my car late last night during a rainy night drive. Fucking Lovely - sounds like a Polygon Window (SOSW) outtake.

And many thanks to whoever made the torrent of the 320 version of the files - grabbing it now, will seed for a long ass time :)

Cannot stop playing ACH. Absolutely relentless.

Just came here to post that. Realized playing it in my car late last night during a rainy night drive. Fucking Lovely - sounds like a Polygon Window (SOSW) outtake.

And many thanks to whoever made the torrent of the 320 version of the files - grabbing it now, will seed for a long ass time :)

I got round to playing it on my amp/speakers on Friday night instead of on headphones or in the car, such a banger! By the 5 min mark it is truly hypnotic.Good start to the weekend/end to the working week.

During the weeks running up to Syro I pretty much played nothing but my rdj collection non-stop. Replaying old tracks was long overdue and felt great. I was abroad when Syro arrived at my house so was a week behind hearing that one but have more than made up for lost time. I've had all my afx stuff on shuffle throughout December and then CCAI came out and now this. I really don't think I'll want to be playing any other tunes for months.

Sams Car is such a tease with the chord progression going on. I keep waiting for that "finished" chord progression bit

love that though

Yeah, it's the third iteration of every four that has the last two chords in it, which is pretty unexpected. It takes a while to wrap your head around, but sort of makes sense once you get used to it. I think it's one of those exercises in lateral (or naïve) thinking that makes the music a bit harder to get into at first, for the first few listens, but keeps it interesting afterwards, once it's familiar, once you're at the point where most music gets too predictable.

But I'm probably reading way too much into it. :)

During the weeks running up to Syro I pretty much played nothing but my rdj collection non-stop. Replaying old tracks was long overdue and felt great. I was abroad when Syro arrived at my house so was a week behind hearing that one but have more than made up for lost time. I've had all my afx stuff on shuffle throughout December and then CCAI came out and now this. I really don't think I'll want to be playing any other tunes for months.

ditto. Been a total RDJ renaissance, One of the most fun parts to the whole CW/Syro hoopla has been revisiting all his old tunes. So much fun.

I really wish they'd release a better quality version of this track

http://youtu.be/3u5OBt46I-k

Paradinas seems to be pretty keen on the idea of getting back and making music with Richard again seeing as he retweeted this comment on 14 07 b:

This one sounds proper good.. almost sounds like a collab with @MikeParadinas.. Expert Knob Twiddlers 2 soon? ;) https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001/14-07-b

Really it would be cool to hear him collab with anyone at this point. I think an album with Vibert would be great though he was also talking about potentially working with Derrick May too. While I certainly favor his solo releases I do think that Mike & Rich is probably his most distinct sounding release to date.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

It looks like Syro's tracks have been added and maybe a few others? Certainly not a hundred.

Looking through the list. If I'm reading it correctly, there are some extremely interesting recent additions.

Hoping that a Vibert / Aphex collab will materialize someday, my #1 dream collab basically. Hearing Aphex talking about wanting a collab with Mueller makes me moist too.

I really wish they'd release a better quality version of this track

http://youtu.be/3u5OBt46I-k

where is this from? 0_0

track is dope

From Planet Mu's website back in the mid-90's I think. Therefore the 64kpbs quality, would love to hear this in better quality too! A shame they never included this one :)

Someone may have already said this, but what is the possibility that this SC bounty is all leadup and promo for a forthcoming "Unreleased Aphex Backcatalog" compilation, coming from Warp in the not too distant future?

Is there any chance that these are tracks that "just didn't make the cut?"

maybe a reissue of his backcatalog ? (on, donkey rhubarb, ventolin, girl/boy, drukqs)

Looking through the list. If I'm reading it correctly, there are some extremely interesting recent additions.

Selected Ambient Works Vol. 'Tree'

Hangable Autobulb 2&3 (Although two was already released originally)

Credit for a bunch of covers.

it's allways like that. You think you've heard all aphex and then boom! new track. thank you very much, Icct.

Richard said he hated Mike&Rich album, he was pissed while doing it, and he was pissed by releasing it

But i think thats a really good album, considering it was made in a week

i did nothing in this week, thanks James!

Edited by Mag

Richard said he hated Mike&Rich album, he was pissed while doing it, and he was pissed by releasing it

For real? That kinda sucks to hear but I believe it. I recently read an interview with Mike and he said when he first submitted his work to Richard he said something along the lines of "Yeah, it sounds ok. But it's all b-sides. You have to make some a-sides, ok?"

Brutal.

it's allways like that. You think you've heard all aphex and then boom! new track. thank you very much, Icct.

But i think thats a really good album, considering it was made in a week

i did nothing in this week, thanks James!

Even my parents didn't hate EKT, and they normally run screaming into the night from from electronic music of any kind.

LOL, except Dad also said EKT sounded like a Frank Zappa rip-off, just like Milk Man. :facepalm:

Edited by jsmcpn

For real? That kinda sucks to hear but I believe it. I recently read an interview with Mike and he said when he first submitted his work to Richard he said something along the lines of "Yeah, it sounds ok. But it's all b-sides. You have to make some a-sides, ok?"

Brutal.

Definitely brutal, but with all due respect to Mike (someone who's music I like but never loved), it's a pretty good way to summarise AFX vs Mu-Ziq