IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

Richard said he hated Mike&Rich album, he was pissed while doing it, and he was pissed by releasing it

For real? That kinda sucks to hear but I believe it. I recently read an interview with Mike and he said when he first submitted his work to Richard he said something along the lines of "Yeah, it sounds ok. But it's all b-sides. You have to make some a-sides, ok?"

Brutal.

Just to clarify - when Mag says Richard was pissed, he means drunk/high (or both) - Mike also has recounted that they were both "under the influence' when making Mike and Rich. I think it was done for a laugh more than anything.

Richard said he hated Mike&Rich album, he was pissed while doing it, and he was pissed by releasing it

For real? That kinda sucks to hear but I believe it. I recently read an interview with Mike and he said when he first submitted his work to Richard he said something along the lines of "Yeah, it sounds ok. But it's all b-sides. You have to make some a-sides, ok?"

Brutal.

Definitely brutal, but with all due respect to Mike (someone who's music I like but never loved), it's a pretty good way to summarise AFX vs Mu-Ziq

Yeah, I mostly agree with that sentiment though I do believe that he has improved and more than earned his acclaim. I guess the reverse is true for Mike with regards to building a label and promoting artists, however.

Brutal.

Definitely brutal, but with all due respect to Mike (someone who's music I like but never loved), it's a pretty good way to summarise AFX vs Mu-Ziq

Yeah, I mostly agree with that sentiment though I do believe that he has improved and more than earned his acclaim. I guess the reverse is true for Mike with regards to building a label and promoting artists, however.

Hey, at least you can say Mike's label ended up being a success in the end!

I think it was done for a laugh more than anything.

Kinda the vibe I got from it as well which is why it surprised me to hear that. Maybe not an outright joke, but it didn't seem like they were going for anything serious. It's got a goofy saturday morning cartoons on LSD thing going for it but overall I still think it's a fun listen.

I love expert knob twiddlers. I got it on vinyl not too long ago for £15 iirc. There's something so happy and playful about it, the front cover always makes me smile too. I'd kill for another made-in-a-week-while-pissed collab album from them.

Joyrex, I mean literally, in one of the interviews (i dont remember which exactly, one of the last, I'll try to find it now) Rich said that "i dont like making music while I'm angry, it doesn't come out really good, like at the times me & Mike did that album, we were drunk and on acid all the time and i was pissed off/angry while doing it so i dont like it really"

something like that. and i heard similar thigs from Mike, so i supposed it was true

also the release of the album was delayed by 1-2 years, if i remember correctly?

I thought it was because aphex didnt really wanted to release it and Mike wanted

i can be mistaken ofc

Brutal.

Yeah definitely. What Mike has done with Planet Mu is fantastic and he's really unique when it comes to running a successful electronic music label.

"...like at the times me & Mike did that album, we were drunk and on acid all the time and i was pissed off/angry while doing it..."

Man, I never would have thought the end product of being constantly angry, drunk and on acid could sound like that. That adds a whole new level of humor to future listens. Getting "Angry, Drunk and on Acid Vol. 2" doesn't seem very likely anymore. That's unfortunate (for us anyways).

Brutal.

Hey, at least you can say Mike's label ended up being a success in the end!

?

The whole Mike & Rich album is amazing in my books, wouldn't have been nearly as good without Mike, and I have no idea wtf you guys are talking about.

I'm floored at the sentiment in those last few posts (not yours joyrex).

"...like at the times me & Mike did that album, we were drunk and on acid all the time and i was pissed off/angry while doing it..."

Man, I never would have thought the end product of being constantly angry, drunk and on acid could sound like that. That adds a whole new level of humor to future listens. Getting "Angry, Drunk and on Acid Vol. 2" doesn't seem very likely anymore. That's unfortunate (for us anyways).

exactly! :biggrin:

i knew before, that the whole album was done on acid in a couple of days

but not so long ago i also discovered they also were drunk all the time (Vodka name/interviews suggests)

but just listen to beady eyes, bububa, mr frosty, kangaroo... there all so warm and cozy and funny

you can never tell rich "totally fucked up on drugs out of his mind and pissed off" did it :biggrin:

maybe he's trolling

What was that databse website with all the Richard David James publishing rights information? Wonder if there's been a batch of new compositions added recently.

It looks like Syro's tracks have been added and maybe a few others? Certainly not a hundred.

Looking through the list. If I'm reading it correctly, there are some extremely interesting recent additions.

Selected Ambient Works Vol. 'Tree'

Hangable Autobulb 2&3 (Although two was already released originally)

Credit for a bunch of covers.

Don't know where do you see saw3...but HAB3!!!! :emotawesomepm9:

ok i found that interview, it was long time ago, and and i guess i got the idea slighly different as it was. BUT there was also Mike Pandas interview for the whole picture, whicn i can't find right now, but he said similar things abour richard wasnt so happy about an album or releasing it.

http://www.space-age-bachelor.com/archives/aphex-twin-interview-transcript

Aphex – Oh yeah, don’t do anything creative with drugs. It’s just a bit of escape, like a laugh. I like to be totally straight, when I do my music, so I can think about what I’m doing. I don’t like being stoned. And I could never do stuff pissed. Well, I’ve done some stuff pissed. I did some stuff with Mike Paradinas — the Mike and Rich album — most of that was done drunk and on acid, as well.

SAB – I never heard of that album.

Aphex – Yeah, it was a bit messy. One of those albums that people ever love or hate.

SAB – When did it come out?

Aphex – A few years ago. Two years ago. But we made it a long time ago. It was sitting around for like a year and a half.

Edited by Mag

ok i found that interview, it was long time ago, and and i guess i got the idea slighly different as it was. BUT there was also Mike Pandas interview for the whole picture, whicn i can't find right now, but he said similar things abour richard wasnt so happy about an album or releasing it.

Aphex – Oh yeah, don’t do anything creative with drugs. It’s just a bit of escape, like a laugh. I like to be totally straight, when I do my music, so I can think about what I’m doing. I don’t like being stoned. And I could never do stuff pissed. Well, I’ve done some stuff pissed. I did some stuff with Mike Paradinas — the Mike and Rich album — most of that was done drunk and on acid, as well.

Aphex – Yeah, it was a bit messy. One of those albums that people ever love or hate.

Aphex – A few years ago. Two years ago. But we made it a long time ago. It was sitting around for like a year and a half.

lol at hate being stoned

So in other words, not angry at all...