IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

3 minutes ago, chim said:

Why are you even bothering with linear timecode stuff outside of a DAW? The classic way to do it was ride a bunch of mixer faders. You're not going to get much more precision than that outside of a programmable DAW. 

I mean for example syncing the internal arpeggiator of the AKAI MPK Mini to the DAW. I don't know if timecode is the best term for this but it has to do with realtime MIDI data and the sync with the MPK was really unstable for some reason.

• Like 1

Linear timecode is potentially a lot tighter than MIDI clock, so there are still some uses for it.  I used to use SMPTE to sync my MPC to the DAW and then use it as the master clock for everything else, and when I was running Windows 7 the difference was HUGE (MIDI clock was essentially useless for me under Windows 7).  Since the new audio interface finally forced me to update to Windows 10, though, I haven't had trouble.  Same MIDI interface, same drivers, same computer, but the clock jitter has gone from being as high as +/- 8ms under Windows 7 to small enough that the clock analysis firmware in the MIDIpal I wasn't using can't even detect it. So I guess for me at least, the whole "MIDI over USB has horrible timing" thing is solved for now.  I'm back to using clock straight from the MIDI interface if (first time I've been able to do that since Windows XP) I need to keep stuff that isn't the Octatrack running in sync with the DAW (I've never gotten the Octatrack to work reliably with ANY external clock source no matter how stable, so I don't even try anymore - if I'm using it I just send it transport messages and let it run on its own clock, which is rock solid).

Edited by TubularCorporation

Yeah there is a point with gear where it just seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to integrate all of it unless it's your job. I love gear but I'm also a bit sloppy with it (and only use 1 or 2 things at a time), so that it remains fun. YMMV I guess.

37 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

Yeah there is a point with gear where it just seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to integrate all of it unless it's your job. I love gear but I'm also a bit sloppy with it (and only use 1 or 2 things at a time), so that it remains fun. YMMV I guess.

That's the issue, cause we only have two arms. Trying to produce your own shit live with gear is tricky, besides the mixer, 1 synth, 1 drum machine and a sampler could do the job, maybe enhaced with some daw.

Imagine being dr. octopus full surrounded by machines..

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hard time getting rid of old gear , eg. Old mixer with spring reverb. It's got such a sweet sound, but it's huge, clunky dusty and broke af. And its mono

Don't get rid of it, you'll regret it later.  I learned that lesson hard.

Right now the only thing I want is a cabinet for the tube amp I finished building last weekend.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 9:38 PM, TubularCorporation said:

Don't get rid of it, you'll regret it later.  I learned that lesson hard.

Right now the only thing I want is a cabinet for the tube amp I finished building last weekend.

Some stuff will do you good to get rid of though, workflow-wise... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chim said:

Some stuff will do you good to get rid of though, workflow-wise... 

Look, just because I don't make music with my grand piano it does not mean it is cramping my workflow. For example, yes I don't have space for a bed but have you considered that you can stick a mattress under the piano and sleep like a baby? And it's a perfectly good table too.

• Big Brain 1

4 hours ago, thawkins said:

Look, just because I don't make music with my grand piano it does not mean it is cramping my workflow. For example, yes I don't have space for a bed but have you considered that you can stick a mattress under the piano and sleep like a baby? And it's a perfectly good table too.

I used to play inn a band with a guy who shared a warehouse space with a couple friends (back in the 2000s when that was actually a cheap way to live instead of an overpriced condo).  The walls of his room were made out of big, old PA speakers, and his bed was a sheet of plywood laid on top of the first tier of speakers, with another sheet across the next tier (about 4 feet above the bed) for instrument storage.  So he was basically sleeping in a small hole. But three people were splitting about 2500 square feet for $700 a month total so there was plenty of space for everyone, he just liked sleeping that way.

That spot in that neighborhood would be at least $3k a month now, but I doubt you could rent anything there anymore at all.

• Like 2

Making my Analog Rytm, Analog Four, Digitone and Tracker work together in sweet harmony is enough to keep my GAS levels very low... at least for the time being lol. That said, from time to time I lust after the Nord Modular G1, anyone has some thoughts to share about it? 

Got this today to join the Liven 8bit warps I got last year.  Now to have the time & motivation to use them

IMG_9059.JPG

• Like 3

How is it?  I've been really enjoying the 8bit Warps (even though I've mostly used it for the surprisingly lifelike tanpura sounds that I wasn't trying expecting to get out of it).