IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

2 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

So they're using brushless DC motors as encoders like this? And simultaneously using them for mechaical feedback (i.e. turning knobs to match preset values)?  That's a good (expesive) idea, and I'd expect the lifespan of any half-decent brushless motor would be WAY beyond even a high quality pot or encoder.

EDIT: wrong link

edit again: 

From here

"The brushless drone motors use contactless optical sensors and are built to be extremely durable, with a lifetime rating in excess of 50 million cycles—500 times more than conventional potentiometers. "

yeah, if they have a good long lifespan, lot of potential there. Also curious about how much more involved/difficult repairs would be.

Edited by Taupe Beats

Interesting, I only knew about the hall effect kind.  Either way that sees like a much better option than conventional pots but I wonder how much different it is than optical or hall-effect encoders that are also contactless.

EDIT: those obviously don't have the advantage of also being motors, though.

I bet you could use drone motors as the basis for a nice DIY DJ controller.

Edited by TubularCorporation

One of my Torso T-1's plastic knobs broke (just the cap, not the pot); contacted Torso customer service, and they delivered a set of 8 spare knobs, free, DHL'd here in two days. I even said I had a second-hand unit, but they handled it regardless with 7/5 quality. Joy.

• Farnsworth 1

I was thinking about trying to buy something that could be a nice sound-module type of companion to my sequencer, so I can really dig in and learn it while I'm on vacation and make self-contained tracks. I have thought about getting a Jupiter Xm or an MC-707 as a multi-timbral/ self contained box that I can control externally, and that has drum tracks. A lot of their demos sound bad though (might just be the demos being demos). I don't really want to carry a mixer around either, so I'm avoiding setups with mixers.

I think what I might end up doing is use my analog four (that I'm trying, but failing, to sell) and hook my TR-6S into the audio inputs, and sequence it externally, but it would be nice to have a bit more polyphony. Last option would be to just sequence my daw externally, sounds stupid but I might do it.

EDIT: oh yeah, or the SH-4D, that is cheaper and more compact than the other roland stuff. Still, haven't loved how it sounds.

Edited by Bubba69

2 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

a multi-timbral/ self contained box that I can control externally, and that has drum tracks

the SH-4D, that is cheaper and more compact than the other roland stuff. Still, haven't loved how it sounds.

yeah the SH-4d looks pretty good for something like that....but honestly there's so many things out rn that fall into that category of groovebox-style that it's just up to budget and taste. it sounds pretty interesting to my ears but not enough for me to have bought one....lol

2 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I think what I might end up doing is use my analog four (that I'm trying, but failing, to sell) and hook my TR-6S into the audio inputs

plugging gear into gear for weird pairing/mixing is always a +1 from me. i've been doing shit like that for years, always end up somewhere unexpected (and often enough, pretty cool).

On 8/26/2023 at 11:09 AM, auxien said:

time for my yearly lusting for a Moog semi-modular/other semi-modular

i actually bit on a mostly/semi-modular piece of kit. haven't bought anything in a while, and for the price i got it for i can flip it at zero loss if i don't love it (or find myself down some stupid modular rabbithole. someone put me down if i do that, please)

9 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

I might actually just pick up a jv-880, they are incredibly cheap and seem kind of awesome

Price went up, they're like $200-$300 now.  Still not bad but way more than last time I looked.  

3 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Price went up, they're like $200-$300 now.  Still not bad but way more than last time I looked.  

Yeah, and honestly at that price area there are a million other rompler rack unit options to consider, esoniq, yamaha, korg. I dunno what I actually want. Maybe none of the above. Easy to get software plugins for most of that stuff.

8 hours ago, Bubba69 said:

Yeah, and honestly at that price area there are a million other rompler rack unit options to consider, esoniq, yamaha, korg. I dunno what I actually want. Maybe none of the above. Easy to get software plugins for most of that stuff.

yd8ym1bbmlfqbvjdky4r.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, Bubba69 said:

looking these up and the modules are more expensive than the keyboard version. I guess that kind of makes sense.

Yeah it sucks what's happened to the prices.  I got one for around $30 shipped a few years ago, and that wasn't even through any effort - I jsut sorted lowest-first on eBay and bouth the cheapest one.  I think $125-$150 is about the highest price that seems reasonable unless you want to really make it the center of oyour sound (it's pretty distinctive but not super flexible or anything).

12 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Yeah it sucks what's happened to the prices.  I got one for around $30 shipped a few years ago, and that wasn't even through any effort - I jsut sorted lowest-first on eBay and bouth the cheapest one.  I think $125-$150 is about the highest price that seems reasonable unless you want to really make it the center of oyour sound (it's pretty distinctive but not super flexible or anything).

I mostly just want to make music that sounds like the intro to forensic files.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, Bubba69 said:

looking these up and the modules are more expensive than the keyboard version. I guess that kind of makes sense.

This is an exact copy. 

Ive had both. The plug in sounds nicer, less grittier, I guess. But it's very very close. He sampled the entire library. 

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/nils-k1v/

Edited by marf
  • Thanks 2

On 9/11/2023 at 11:33 AM, marf said:

This is an exact copy. 

Ive had both. The plug in sounds nicer, less grittier, I guess. But it's very very close. He sampled the entire library. 

https://www.nilsschneider.de/wp/nils-k1v/

Yeah, I've played with this, it's pretty good.  Definitely a good way to see if it's worth spending money on hardware now that the prices are inflating, if nothing else, and if you DO buy hardware then it's still a good patch editor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 12:13 PM, xox said:

Will clavia release a nord lead 5 or nord lead a2 already?! Im waiting for so long!!! …almost a decade now!

Okokok… half a decade actually 🙂

NMG3 plz. (i know it will never happen)

• Like 1