IGNORED

New countdown, new release? [Aphex Twin Warp Store]

Time Tourist

I reckon Richies working on stuff and will release in some form or another

I reckon BoC will release something in time

My lack-of-any-insight hunches based-on-fuck-all

However i think the monetization of music production is in flux and perhaps the touted open-source Web. 3.0 near-future will support their endeavours more than the current stream-ageddon no-money-for-artists model

1 hour ago, beerwolf said:

Whenever Joyrex writes something about Richard retiring. Usually the opposite is about to happen. 

Let's hope I am wrong (again) - would certainly love to be in this instance!

However, another factor some of you may or may not appreciate - Richard, BOC, AE, Squarepusher are all of an age (as am I) where entering or getting close to being 50 years aged, and entering new phases of life - I don't think any of them will ever stop making music, but the desire to release it, tour, etc. may be waning and now that children are in the picture and growing, the life they previously have led may not be fully compatible with their current life, or in a more positive view the current life has taken on a greater importance.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Let's hope I am wrong (again) - would certainly love to be in this instance!

However, another factor some of you may or may not appreciate - Richard, BOC, AE, Squarepusher are all of an age (as am I) where entering or getting close to being 50 years aged, and entering new phases of life - I don't think any of them will ever stop making music, but the desire to release it, tour, etc. may be waning and now that children are in the picture and growing, the life they previously have led may not be fully compatible with their current life, or in a more positive view the current life has taken on a greater importance.

yeah, you did keep doubling down on that retirement rumor, lol

8 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

By living off the grid

out there in the country....

running an entire vegetable farm fertilized with their own shite, they filter their own urine. filthy savages.

• Like 1

He seemed genuinely thrilled about releasing/sharing some HQ versions of those archive tape tracks, some were included in the SC dump but also previously unheard stuff. Had his decks repaired and all. Big painful slap to warp's ass cheeks if they were the reason for not anymore SC goodness no matter how legendary label they are....or were. While I'm here, here's obligatory repost:

Touring is probably over. For lots of reasons. But a online live event maybe not. In fact I would of thought this will be the only way some of us will see BOC live now. I’m just saying this because I know retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You know just climbing the walls. There’s a lot of people I know who continue to work into their 70’s because movement is medicine. Anyway if they want to just give up and disappear there isn’t much I can do about it is there?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

yeah, you did keep doubling down on that retirement rumor, lol

Well, as it turned out there were other reasons for the long silence...

39 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Touring is probably over. For lots of reasons. But a online live event maybe not. In fact I would of thought this will be the only way some of us will see BOC live now. I’m just saying this because I know retirement isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. You know just climbing the walls. There’s a lot of people I know who continue to work into their 70’s because movement is medicine. Anyway if they want to just give up and disappear there isn’t much I can do about it is there?

You'd think BOC would fully embrace doing a livestream or something along those lines as it is highly controllable and they can 'curate' the experience to their liking... but really nothing they do/have done (on the surface) makes any sense to us... then again, it doesn't have to!

And for self-employed folks like Richard and BOC, I don't think there really is a dividing line between their 'work' and 'retirement' in the traditional sense - as I said, they will absolutely keep making music until the day they leave this mortal coil, but whether they release it for commercial consumption or not is another matter.

29 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Hopefully the Son Of Aphex is up to speed and he will be our saviour ?

It will be interesting if his kids follow in his footsteps - although they might already have and we know nothing about who they are...

6 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

You'd think BOC would fully embrace doing a livestream or something along those lines as it is highly controllable and they can 'curate' the experience to their liking... but really nothing they do/have done (on the surface) makes any sense to us... then again, it doesn't have to!

I have hope 

I member the old boc site and the animations...

I have high trust they could create a supa nuts audiovisual experience if they wanted to.. someday!

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Well, as it turned out there were other reasons for the long silence...

And for self-employed folks like Richard and BOC, I don't think there really is a dividing line between their 'work' and 'retirement' in the traditional sense - as I said, they will absolutely keep making music until the day they leave this mortal coil, but whether they release it for commercial consumption or not is another matter.

It will be interesting if his kids follow in his footsteps - although they might already have and we know nothing about who they are...

Aphex Twin created modern (electronic) music, what could The Children of the Aphex could achieve today other than great music?

On 12/7/2021 at 8:48 PM, Joyrex said:

Kinda odd he hasn't released anything lately, eh?

Collapse was the last official release (not including the live performance whitelabels and the Peel Session) and that was 2018, and it was 2014 for Syro.

Granted, he's nowhere near BOC's record for lack of output*, but I wonder why such a long gap? We know he's making music (or working on his back catalogue)... why not release any of it?

* As far as I am concerned, I fully suspect BOC have retired, and are not going to release anything and simply live off the royalties their existing catalogue produces. If it works for them, then great - not so much for fans wanting more output from them. Who knows - this could apply to Richard as well - I am sure he's financially comfortable to the point he doesn't have to release anything new and instead on making music for himself...

All releases where tied to some show or performance one crosspromoting the other. As soon as the live gigs stopped due to the pandemic so did the releases 

Edited by o00o

I guess it’s also not easy selling music during a major crisis even more so when you can’t do gigs and all DJ are on hiatus cutting into your vinyl sales

Edited by o00o
  • Like 2

some guys just randomly speculating about what some other guy is doing or is gonna do..

richard is gonna go for a walk along a stream and will eventually find a little secret door underneath some big leaves. he'll go through the door and there will be cool sounds like bugs buzzing through filters and phasers. he'll be like ? and keep on walking down a hall. at the end of the hall there will be a phone and he'll pick it up and call me. i'll let it go to vm bc i do not recognize the number. he'll be annoyed that i didn't pick up but eventually he'll realize his expectations were irrational bc he'll think i probably didn't recognize the number. he'll call again and leave a vm. it'll be him doing one of his signature weirdo things where he's like "sitting by the pond fucking a russian milkman on a park bench while madonna squeeks like a pig" or whatever and when i hear it i'll be like "lmao." my response will stream into the secret corridors as he walks back out into day light and he'll chuckle to himself and be like "nice, that was cool alcofribas is a solid mensch." then he'll be so inspired to connect with people again that he'll release a new album and like 50 eps of just random shit like 4 hour modular jams and the internet will be calm and at peace just unpacking it all/not even listening to like 10% of it bc it's like 200 hours of stuff but they'll soon complain he hasn't released anything in ages and wonder if he's just hanging out with his wives checking his bank accounts and transferring or "wiring" money to his children or something.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

I miss new tunes too, but the way I see it, it's like a natural correction period from a major AFX bull run that was Syro / SC Dump / Collapse / Live Releases / Cheetah / Orphaned / Acoustic etc.

If you're spending like 10 straight years every day in the studio and releasing like a machine, a good 3-5 year break is probably necessary for regaining inspiration, ideas, purpose etc. Otherwise, you may just shit out recycled iterations of past works over and over.

Richard seems the kind that would keep making music into his later years like others here have said. Bowie, Sakamoto and other prolific songwriters / composers / artists have kept creating and releasing into their late age. Of course everyone's different but no reason to think Richard won't be doing the same given his obsession with the machines (you've got so many machines richaaaaaard!) ? That kind of passion doesn't usually just fade.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

I have hope 

I member the old boc site and the animations...

I have high trust they could create a supa nuts audiovisual experience if they wanted to.. someday!

You are indeed the most optimistic BOC on planet Earth MIXL2 ?  I hope one day your optimism is rewarded ?

• Like 1

Big 30 for SAW 85-92 next year. Would be sweet if that saw 1.5/saw with bonus tracks was finally to be released in some deluxe anniversary version or something.

iirc R&S was very willing to put something like that out and Rich said there had been some chat about the possible release. But again, that was ages ago. :shrug:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

yeah it's a damn shame. judging by the new shit he was dropping throughout his last tours, it seemed like he was gearing up to release his best material in years.

thats really interesting. most of them I did not know yet. really cool stuff in there 

• Like 1