IGNORED

Autechre. NTS Residency. (_O_)

Stock

so, this happens in Athens tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/events/247297682508257/

imagine mixing violvoic with japanese 80s...

pretty cool mashup.

9 chr0 isn't too bad

It's growing on me. Not a favorite but I like it more now than I did the first couple times.

that one's hard to pin down for me, emotionally. it's like listening to something trying to get into gear unavailingly for 15 minutes, the struggle is quite something to behold, tho. certainly feels like one of the jammier ones on 2 but there are shitloads of singular events and details in the there to dissect. grower fo sho.

much like elseq roughly half of this material is the coolest shit I've ever heard and the other half is stuff I don't really care to hear ever again. also like elseq I'm going to make a favorites playlist and just listen to that

much like elseq roughly half of this material is the coolest shit I've ever heard and the other half is stuff I don't really care to hear ever again. also like elseq I'm going to make a favorites playlist and just listen to that

“Half” is overstating it for me, but I understand the sentiment. There’s maybe 10% or 15% I don’t care for...

9 chr0 isn't too bad

It's growing on me. Not a favorite but I like it more now than I did the first couple times.

that one's hard to pin down for me, emotionally. it's like listening to something trying to get into gear unavailingly for 15 minutes, the struggle is quite something to behold, tho. certainly feels like one of the jammier ones on 2 but there are shitloads of singular events and details in the there to dissect. grower fo sho.

There's a lot in there for sure, I'm trying not to overanalyze the NTS stuff too much yet and just trying to enjoy it and live in it for a bit I guess? Can't help it occasionally because it's some pretty engaging music for the most part. Like the third or fourth time I heard this track it started to click in as a special little piece hiding lots behind it.

“Half” is overstating it for me, but I understand the sentiment. There’s maybe 10% or 15% I don’t care for...

Yeah about the same for me. There's a few tracks that I'm not too keen on but in general this is far better than I found elseq to be. Still so early though...8 hours of fucking music...  :w00t: 

Honestly, having a couple AE tracks I don’t like allows me to keep a bit of self-respect lol I like knowing Im not too far gone that I can’t discern a shit AE track. (Chimer 1-5-w/e, I’m looking at you...oops).

Chimer 1-5-1 owns

see this for me is a perfect example of a track that has bit of a goofy vibe goin while still totally slaying and those synths turn it to something breathtakingly beautiful midway, striking contrast.

splesh and fLh fall in a similar category but still have to earn my full respect, dunno... especially the latter sounds like aural slapstick to me without much on top of it, also overstaying its welcome. splesh at least has some interesting sound design and yeah the bassline roughly 3/4 in is pretty awesome but it somewhat fails to capitalize on it for the rest of its duration.

will keep trying.

It’s boring, structurally (like splesh). To me, it’s a palette cleanser only.

Splesh is structurally great. It's a bicinium with an ostinato melody and the other voice play around it, sometimes bellow like a bass or above like melody or keeps the harmonic bass-structure but plays above and vice-versa. Even alters the rhythmic feel a lot of times and so on. There is a lot of contrapunctic play going on. For the finale a third voice is joining in for great effect.

It’s boring, structurally (like splesh). To me, it’s a palette cleanser only.

Splesh is structurally great. It's a bicinium with an ostinato melody and the other voice play around it, sometimes bellow like a bass or above like melody or keeps the harmonic bass-structure but plays above and vice-versa. Even alters the rhythmic feel a lot of times and so on. There is a lot of contrapunctic play going on. For the finale a third voice is joining in for great effect.

yeah structure isn't the problem, it's actually quite dynamic on the x axis, too. ninefly for example has alot less developement yet i still prefer it by quite a margin... dunno. it just has this weird chirpy mood i don't find myself in often (in terms of music)... < grumpy cat, i guess.

can't overemphasize how i pretty much love every other second of the sessions tho (the only other outlier being the one whose name shall not be spoken...*cough*). it's so fucking great it's nuts really. i think overall elseq felt a bit more cerebral and introspective, most of this stuff feels more in yo face and sprawling.

the track order has a good flow. better than elseq. i never played elseq in order much. I'd usually shuffle or choose certain songs. pretty much all their other albums have really good flow. NTS is a return to that, and maybe even better because they are performed live. how crazy that i can put on an 8 hour album that is such an unrivaled beast.

Really? 

oh yeah, this hasn't been established, has it

i kind of assumed they were performed like AE_LIVE because it's called "sessions" which basically always means performance in this context

i feel like s&b would want to do it that way

the track order has a good flow. better than elseq. i never played elseq in order much. I'd usually shuffle or choose certain songs. pretty much all their other albums have really good flow. NTS is a return to that, and maybe even better because they are performed live. how crazy that i can put on an 8 hour album that is such an unrivaled beast.

Really? 

oh yeah, this hasn't been established, has it

i kind of assumed they were performed like AE_LIVE because it's called "sessions" which basically always means performance in this context

i feel like s&b would want to do it that way

i think it's pretty safe to say it wasn't. consider how quickly all of it went online after transmissions with tracklists n all, also how obviously planned, conceived and edited as fuk lots of it is. i'd buy that quite some tracks were jammed at their studio (casuals) tho. according to aaa peel sessions were done in their studio, too, so yeah... who really cares tho.

Not to be that guy, but how was this not super obvious like partway through the first listen?

The synths and ambience was so mind-blowingly astounding that it made it hard to count?

=P

I think it’s the syncopated start-stop aspect of each “statement”. i actually still hear it that way even though i can hear the meter underneath it. cool track

Really? 

7e3.jpg