IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

13 minutes ago, milkface said:

Did Kosovo forget what Nato did in 1999?

Bombed Serbia securing Kosovo's independence after which NATO KFOR forces were cheered when they rolled into Kosovo?

• Like 1

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_of_Kiev

This chick is wild. If tldr, just skip to the Drevlian uprising bit. Eh... This is probably the wrong thread for this, my bad.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, drillkicker said:

Im worried about how many americans are currently asking for nuclear war.

This is the scariest thing I have read in a long time.

I know an English family who are stuck in Moscow.  All flights have been cancelled and they are running out of money.  They have 2 kids with them! Nightmare.  Hope they find somewhere to hide this out. 

• Sad 1

If Belarus does join these fucked up shenanigans, they should also sanction the fuck out of them. Really sucks civilian populations have to suffer for their governments’ actions.

also, wtf was the point of this?

Putin giving orders to put his nuclear arsenal on high alert. Belarus changing their constitution to allow Russia to place nuclear arms on their soil. Putin threatening interfering nations with consequences that have never been seen before in history.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, zkom said:

Bombed Serbia securing Kosovo's independence after which NATO KFOR forces were cheered when they rolled into Kosovo?

When you dumb it down that much then sure.

32 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

If Belarus does join these fucked up shenanigans, they should also sanction the fuck out of them. Really sucks civilian populations have to suffer for their governments’ actions.

"they should also sanction the fuck out of them. Really sucks civilian populations have to suffer for their governments’ actions." is contradictory - why sanction when you acknowledge that it only harms the population?

Edited by milkface

So, I guess Russia will become another North Korea. Even though the economy is still very large atm, it might shrink like a ? in freezing water. I hope it does. (not fun for the russians, but they need to kick that idiot out of his autocratic chair)

And, of course, as Kim Jong Un, Putin can threaten using nuclear missiles until he is finally ousted.

“The situation is dire for the Russian economy,” said Christopher Vecchio, senior strategist with IG Group’s DailyFX.com in New York. “Now unable to import or export goods and services thanks to the Swift sanctions, unable to sell foreign currency reserves thanks to the [central bank] asset freeze, and a Russian economy ringfenced from the global financial system, a currency crisis has emerged for Russia. High inflation is coming, as is an immediate lurch into recession.”

“It will be something we have not seen before,” said Sergei Guriev, economics professor at France’s Sciences Po and former European Bank for Reconstruction and Development chief economist.

“Sanctioning the central bank is unprecedented,” said Maria Shagina of the Finnish Institute of International Affairs and the Geneva International Sanctions Network. “I think for one of the largest economies in the world – the size matters here. Previously it was only Iran, Venezuela, Syria that were under a maximum-pressure campaign.”

On Sunday evening, Russian state TV hosts were exhorting their listeners to hold the line despite the tough economic times ahead, describing a period of economic isolation and autarky that recalls some of the world’s most troubled pariah states.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/28/ukraine-war-sanctions-hit-russian-rouble-crashes-as-zelenskiy-speaks-of-crucial-24-hours

I dont think anyone is close to using nukes. Both sides have to tread carefully because of nukes and they've got experience of having to do that since 1958. These announcements from Putin are just little moves in a long complicated nuclear dance. Nato has to respond in the appropriate way by condemning them and so on but there is a very long way to go before anyone is even thinking about using them.

Like how would it make any sense? In the cold war you had two vast empires with completely opposite ideologies facing off against each other in an atmosphere of complete musual distrust and incomprehension. For decades. What we have now is just a gangster throwing a strop. Its not the same. And I don't buy that Putin is crazy or whatever. He's out of touch but the russians have plenty of ways of getting rid of him if he's actually crazy.

TLDR: The fact that nukes exist is scary and has been for almost 70 years now but I'm not taking any of this nuclear talk seriously. Proliferation and terrorism are bigger nuclear problems than Putin.

1 hour ago, milkface said:

When you dumb it down that much then sure.

"they should also sanction the fuck out of them. Really sucks civilian populations have to suffer for their governments’ actions." is contradictory - why sanction when you acknowledge that it only harms the population?

I understood the contradiction when I wrote that, there is no good answer, but civilian unrest is one of the most powerful tools a population has. It hurts everyone, but it is effective, as history has shown.

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

This plane is (was) often contracted out around the globe to deliver unusual large / heavy cargo.

I have seen it a few times in the UK at RAF Brize Norton.

So, its kinda symbolic to blow this up. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

This plane is (was) often contracted out around the globe to deliver unusual large / heavy cargo.

I have seen it a few times in the UK at RAF Brize Norton.

So, its kinda symbolic to blow this up. 

Not only are Russian jets being denied airspace to flyover, some leasing companies want to recall their aircraft, around half of Russia's commercial air fleet is leased

https://www.businessinsider.com/aircraft-leasing-companies-recall-planes-from-russian-airlines-eu-sanctions-2022-2

• Like 2