IGNORED

Steinvord - Steinvord

Redruth

i can't remember if i said this before, but this ep is really boring and masturbatory, and really far too derivative of aphex twin and old squarepusher. why is there such a circlejerk around this? it sounds like flashbulb to me, but without the emotional pretense.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't remember if i said this before, but this ep is really boring and masturbatory, and really far too derivative of aphex twin and old squarepusher. why is there such a circlejerk around this? it sounds like flashbulb to me, but without the emotional pretense.

Could not agree more, don't understand the hype. It was cool the first time around 15 years ago.

Could not agree more, don't understand the hype. It was cool the first time around 15 years ago.

If its good its good, no matter the year.

I dont think it can be derivative if its old squarepusher?

I dont think it can be derivative if its old squarepusher?

I'm pretty sure it IS old squarepusher. Incidentally not long after it came out, Squarepusher went on tour. I bet it only made it to vinyl so he could sell it to help pay for all those bloody LEDS in the ufabulum tour LOL.

Or does warp pay for all that? =/

If its good its good, no matter the year.

Squarepusher from that era has not stood the test of time for me, so a lackluster derivative of it does not impress me. 15 years is that awkward period where something sounds really dated, but it not yet retro.

Granted, a lot of my favorite albums are from around this time and I still love them. But even if someone made a clone of my favorite album, Chiastic Slide, it would sound weird and out of place coming out in 2012.

even the first time, i heard it and thought that it sounds dated in a bad way.

if it was an interesting reappropriation/recontextualization of an established sound or aesthetic, that might be one thing. but this is just a blandly derivative ep.

i should have initially noted that i haven't listened to any of the WATMM subforum (aphex/autechre/squarepusher/boc) guys' music for three or four years at this point :sad:

Steinvord isn't something I see myself listening to a whole lot, but so far when I am in the mood I have found it to be enjoyable and atmospheric. I haven't heard a whole lot of flashbulb, but considering how big of a joke character/musician he is treated as around these parts, I imagine that’s a sensationalist and bs equivocation. I am open to hear some examples though.

Steinvord isn't something I see myself listening to a whole lot, but so far when I am in the mood I have found it to be enjoyable and atmospheric. I haven't heard a whole lot of flashbulb, but considering how big of a joke character/musician he is treated as around these parts, I imagine that’s a sensationalist and bs equivocation. I am open to hear some examples though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlvzaaCogIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZisk255vxA

Yuck.

Six Acid Strings is sick, What?

Yuck might actually be a bit harsh in regards to the music. It was more a response for the idea that Flashbulb is behind Steinvord. I can appreciate the technical skill and ideas going on in those two tracks, but aesthetically and emotionally it is not for me/nor is it anything like Steinvord.

it sounds like an attempt to do drukqs without understanding at all the randomness and unpredictable nature of that style. Its like easy listening drukqs. When i think druqks i think a lot of borderline very harsh and buzz saw melodies constantly between switched between comb filtered delay melodies and great sharp acidic synths (rarely if ever just a generic 303 sound like in this)

what i always fail to understand is how someone with as much technical skill as flashbulb could put so little of himself into music that's clearly very technically proficient. Why work so hard to clone this style but not risk doing something original along the way? It reminds me of extremely skilled virtuoso musicians who can play classical instruments when you try and get them to let loose and improvise it sometimes is like hitting a brick wall, nearly impossible.

Guest CraniumXII

The Flashbulb is just very cookie cutter, IMO. He has moments of greatness, but I think he generally over produces, to the point where there is barely any soul left in his music. Definitely has the chops, but his music (especially now a days) seems quite sterile. The last album was really bad, IMO.

I do like some of his acid sounds... Welcome to Chicago had some great moments. Shame I went to Chicago a week after him and Ceephax were playing together.

My favorite track off the album:

it sounds like an attempt to do drukqs without understanding at all the randomness and unpredictable nature of that style.

Yeah, he nails the aesthetic and the techniques but doesn't possess an ounce of the artistry. It's all so square, so on the grid, so clean cut.

The Flashbulb is just very cookie cutter, IMO. He has moments of greatness, but I think he generally over produces, to the point where there is barely any soul left in his music. Definitely has the chops, but his music (especially now a days) seems quite sterile. The last album was really bad, IMO.

I do like some of his acid sounds... Welcome to Chicago had some great moments. Shame I went to Chicago a week after him and Ceephax were playing together.

My favorite track off the album:

http://youtu.be/xhn0rIRIsnk

He definitely processes the amen to shit, even Squarepushers let's it breath and doesn't DSP everything.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish this was out in digital format, it would get a lot more plays than it does in physical format.

Anyway, the more i've listened to this the better it got. People who think this could have been made Flashbulb or Venetian Snares should listen to it again. It's a pretty ridiculous claim. No offense to Flashbulb or Venetian Snares but those guys sound like they just discovered dblue's Glitch compared to Steinvord. Steinvord got a bit of that quality Tom and RDJ touch, he knows were to fuck up a break and a bassline, as vasio and others said knows were to let breath a break, and the edits just sound so much more manual and crafted, those guys sound way too dblue-glitch driven and over the top if that makes sense. Im not critisizing them in a negative way, I just don't like that kind of music.

And lol about complaining about sterile sound on Flashbulb. I would believe "Ufabulum" was a Flashbulb record if it came with no name. If it came as a "Steinvord" or something alias, it would probably get much more hate around here than it gets already. Gotta love SP fanboys.

lol doom 1 demon sound @ 1:22 in that track with "the worm" sample loop (cyg x-1?)

You are talking about "Backyard" and not "cyg x-1", and damn, you just gave me a serious mind-fuck. I KNEW i've heard a sound on there that i've heard somewhere else. That was kinda scary. I used to play that game when it came out, im now 30 something.. that has been a long time and sure played with my mind for a while until i've seen your comment.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived