IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

14 hours ago, lyst said:

Just binged all three seasons of "The Leftovers".

Holy fugg that show was depressing.  Of course i watched it during a low point in my own personal life so it made me feel even shittier lolol.  Not a bad show i'd recommend it to any fans of sci-fi or Lost - just get ready to feel overcome with sadness and emptiness for a while.

It became to depressing for me to watch. I quite liked it tho 

12 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Finished Ozark. Brilliant. And they didn’t fluff the ending! Probably a 9/10 for the whole thing. Maybe even a 10. 

Agreed but I could have used one more season. That last episode was a bit of a cliffhanger. 

Spoiler

It would have been good to see Wendy really collect some karma or to see the kids completely jump ship on their parents. Also, that final shot-in-the-dark moment definitely begged for some resolution for me. Still, quality tv ?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Agreed but I could have used one more season. That last episode was a bit of a cliffhanger. 

Reveal hidden contents

It would have been good to see Wendy really collect some karma or to see the kids completely jump ship on their parents. Also, that final shot-in-the-dark moment definitely begged for some resolution for me. Still, quality tv ?

Spoiler

Agree it would of been best if Wendy had some Karma dealt to her. I really liked the Private Investigator, he played his character really well. And when he turned up with the ceramic goat at the end I thought maybe this was the time. But I presume Jonah sent him to the Crematorium. I guess maybe there’s a lesson there, that we can all be corrupted and evil does win a lot of the time. And she was evil. Even her children under her influence were turning into her. That’s why I liked Marty, he was mostly a beacon of good. I can’t remember when it was but there’s a time in the second season (I think) when he starts playing second fiddle to her. If it was Lord of the Rings she would definitely be Shelob.

• Burger 1

recently finished Ozark too. Great stuff. Wendy was so ... arghh! a Karen stretched to nightmarish extremes. As the series moved on I found myself warming much more to Marty than at first I found him annoying, like Jefferoo said along the lines of "a smug well to do upper middle class ex jock type" he really does becomes the calm center of the rising storm of "fuckin insane shit" (in Ruthie's accent) that starts goin down around them. The build up (down?) towards the end was nicely paced, if a tad boring (my interest sagged a little there in season 4 due to over binging i think)

Spoiler

the last scene though, made me think of back when they joked about the kid being the quiet type who'd end up a school shooter or something along those lines.

I know everything ‘Narco’ has been done to death but Navarro was a legend. Could quite happily see him carry a spin off mini series about his life as a drug Lord and and growing up into that life. His sister was also really good for the limited time she was on screen. Omar was definitely one of the best characters of a mountain of great characters.

yeh done to death, but very watchable still. I thought the Langmores were great, especially Ruth and Wyatt. The kid who played Wyatt needs to play Steve Zahn's kid in something. There's some familiarity there. 

• Like 1

On 7/12/2022 at 1:57 AM, lyst said:

Just binged all three seasons of "The Leftovers".

Holy fugg that show was depressing.  Of course i watched it during a low point in my own personal life so it made me feel even shittier lolol.  Not a bad show i'd recommend it to any fans of sci-fi or Lost - just get ready to feel overcome with sadness and emptiness for a while.

It can be brutal at times (especially the first season, from memory) but it's a fav of mine. Still, I don't know when I'll watch it again (it's been years).

Just watched the first 5 episodes of The Old Man. Glad to see Jeff Bridges back in good health! First 2 eps were excellent, then it kind of goes downhill. The dialogue is very pretentious, mamma mia. It probably works on the page but definitely not when spoken.

Enjoying Irma Vep, as a big fan of the 1996 movie. Not sure where its going, but it's entertaining. Not a huge fan of meta cleverness but it's tolerable here. 

The Boys season 3 - Never have I fast forwarded through more of a show to get to the crazy bits. Any cultural depiction is painfully surface level and bordering on caricature. Any scene with the french guy is an instant fast forward. Huey is one of those useless quippy Joss Whedon-style main characters that has no actual grasp of humour. Butcher has like one mode of delivery and makes me curious how painful his accent is to people in the UK?

4 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

does this look like it has too much digital smear in it?

Is there a word for "feels like it's trying to mimic something rather than being authentic"?

Maybe in German?

• Like 1

Obviously I’m not getting my expectations up (so I can’t be disappointed) but I do hope I get to see lots of a middle aged Sauron (and his top henchmen) being total badass and attempting to lay waste to everything?

I’m extremely curious how they will create him, the same level as The Space Jockey (and look how that turned out…)

80A6DBB0-D9BD-49F5-9B96-27F6148E72CC.thumb.jpeg.ed6721c0314202e829f397061d036f5e.jpeg

(J.R.R. Tolkiens sketch of Sauron)

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

I don't give a shit about Tolkien and his books, only read lotr and hated the dry writing. To me that looks pretty fun.

5 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

did anyone end up watching this? scrolled trough some eps and it looks pretty neat...

Going to watch this for sure.

I love the imagination, art styles, and stories in animation anthology movies.
They often feel very pure and genuine.
It's almost like you're inside an artist's mind, like you're witnessing their pen strokes.

Some others absolutely worth checking out: 
Memories (1995)
Neo Tokyo (1987)
Robot Carnival (1987)
Genius Party (2007)
Genius Party Beyond (2008)
Short Peace (2013)
The Cockpit (1993)
The Animatrix (2003)
Heavy Metal (1981)

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 3

This could be good if they get some writing talent, like a Rod Serling type approach, where the zombies are sometimes incidental to the story. I'd love to see an episode set on the space station.

11 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

did anyone end up watching this? scrolled trough some eps and it looks pretty neat...

Yeah, unfortunately it's a bit naff.

• Sad 1

the new nathan fielder show was excellent as expected. so fucking funny. seems like the show is gonna be 8 episodes of finding frances. perfect

Edited by dr lopez
  • Like 2

Stranger Things. Fun. I get it we have to include everybody in this woke age, but in the 80's the only gay people were fit grown men with mustaches in San Fransisco and Female Gym teachers.

They just turned up. No one talked about it. At all. 

The Kids in the Hall (2022)
The iconic Canadian sketch comedy troupe The Kids in the Hall return from the dead with a reboot of their ground-breaking sketch series.
Haven't seen the old series (yet), but I really liked the reboot.
There are some very good bits in there. Recommended.

kids-in-the-hall-pie-sketch-Cropped.jpg

MV5BMDAwZDExNTAtYjE5ZS00YTczLTg5YmEtNGMz

MV5BNWIyMDQxNzctMjc1Yy00MzU1LTk5Y2YtZDdm

Melanie - Brand New Key - Motormouth Mike in the Morning

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 2
  • Burger 1

3 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

The Kids in the Hall (2022)

Haven't seen the old series (yet), 

:wtf:
The OG stuff is sooooo good. All of it. 
Good on you for jumping in and digging it tho! I was curious how someone who wasn’t familiar with the OG show would like the new stuff  

FYI, The main difference b/w the old and new shows (besides their drastic age difference) is that the majority of the sketches in the old one are filmed in front of a live studio audience with occasional cinematic sketches (similar to the new show). It’s legendary stuff. Can’t wait for you to check it out. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2