IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

Persona 4 on the PS2.

So, so good.

And yes Wind Waker HD is excellent. I like the additions : the fast sail in particular is downright vital ; and the ability to have the map on the gamepad while being able to navigate at the same time allows to better give the feeling of navigating alongside Link, and you can just drift toward a direction from point A to point B while doing something else on the gamepad, checking info on the maps etc, it's really good. I also really like the added possibility of being able to almost completely elimitate the UI, especially having played the game before I think it gives more immersion.

The only thing I'm kind of iffy about is the fact that over half the chests containing maps to the Triforce shards were replaced by actual Triforce shards, I'd have preffered for that to be like it is in the original game, but I'm the only person I know who obsessively cuts down every bush and goes hunting for the giant coin purse at the first chance I get, so I usually have a lot of extra cash on hand (case in point the counter's been capped to 5000 rupees for quite a while now).

Game Cube memories.. The Wind Waker.. My favorite.

Guest Zwei Kreise

It's one of my favorites, just slightly behind Majora's Mask.

It's such an expansive and epic game. Excellent music too (especially in the dungeons, the forest and wind temples have such wonderful atmospheres)...

Guest Zwei Kreise

Speaking of scary games, I'm still very much looking forward to Routine...

[youtubehd]iAcAd1fUiy8[/youtubehd]

It's been a while since the game was announced but kind of like Outlast the available videos bring to mind some chilly Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness memories and I very much like that.

replaying Fallout 3 for probably the 5th time, still finding new things. I'm deliberately ignoring the main quest to just explore far-flung corners of the map. cleared the Dunwich building yesterday, creepay as hell. nice Lovecraft references.

mirror's edge ... brilliant art direction...

it's pretty lush.

Speaking of scary games, I'm still very much looking forward to Routine...

[youtubehd]iAcAd1fUiy8[/youtubehd]

It's been a while since the game was announced but kind of like Outlast the available videos bring to mind some chilly Silent Hill 2 and Eternal Darkness memories and I very much like that.

Been following Lunar Software as well. Last update was exactly four months ago. Routine alone would give me valid reason to buy another new PC. My laptop is showing its age, and wasn't built to be a high-end gaming rig to begin with.

replaying Fallout 3 for probably the 5th time, still finding new things. I'm deliberately ignoring the main quest to just explore far-flung corners of the map. cleared the Dunwich building yesterday, creepay as hell. nice Lovecraft references.

That and Vault 106 seem to be the two creepiest locations in the game.

Last time I played FO3, Reilly's Rangers became hostile and started attacking me at their base for no apparent reason.

I'm in one of those "game limbo" phases right now, debating which one to play next. Probably the original Deus Ex, since it's been two years.

Edited by ambermonk

What would be scary, is a game that's a first-person DAW music composition simulator, where the goal is to make your ultimate album. You spend months in real-time in the DAW simulator, to make tracks, export the best tracks from dozens of project files, etc. And then, right in the middle of bouncing the last track to your ultimate album (with "Almost There!" Achievement Unlocked), muthafuckin' the (in-game) workstation crashes and your hard drive starts clicking hard like a rollercoaster chain. And then you're like "FUUUUCCCKKK!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO~~~~!!!!", IRL+in-game. Since you've saved enough money in-game by flipping burgers, it gives you the option: "Your hard drive has crashed. All songs have been lost. Would you like to order a new hard drive online and start from scratch?" At this dialog screen, a heartbeat loop would be playing increasingly loudly and rapidly. Then all of a fucking sudden a roaring zombie busts through the wall in front of you and destroys your workstation. You have to use your MIDI keyboard (in-game) to kill the zombie. Then the game becomes a "kill the zombies in your house and neighborhood to acquire a new DAW" game. So after the HD crash, it's like, scare upon scare.

The lighting would be dark like Doom 3. Basically can't see shit, with pointless scary noises in 3-d space.

Published by id Software:

IDM Superstar: Zombie Apocalypse

Edited by peace 7

What would be scary, is a game that's a first-person DAW music composition simulator, where the goal is to make your ultimate album. You spend months in real-time in the DAW simulator, to make tracks, export the best tracks from dozens of project files, etc. And then, right in the middle of bouncing the last track to your ultimate album (with "Almost There!" Achievement Unlocked), muthafuckin' the (in-game) workstation crashes and your hard drive starts clicking hard like a rollercoaster chain. And then you're like "FUUUUCCCKKK!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO~~~~!!!!", IRL+in-game. Since you've saved enough money in-game by flipping burgers, it gives you the option: "Your hard drive has crashed. All songs have been lost. Would you like to order a new hard drive online and start from scratch?" At this dialog screen, a heartbeat loop would be playing increasingly loudly and rapidly. Then all of a fucking sudden a roaring zombie busts through the wall in front of you and destroys your workstation. You have to use your MIDI keyboard (in-game) to kill the zombie. Then the game becomes a "kill the zombies in your house and neighborhood to acquire a new DAW" game. So after the HD crash, it's like, scare upon scare.

The lighting would be dark like Doom 3. Basically can't see shit, with pointless scary noises in 3-d space.

while my concept wasn't as heavy on the drama/zombies as yours, I can safely say I've thought of something along these lines already.

call me, let's work out a deal and make this shit happen.

edit: I still think my nonviolent RTS idea was the shit, and also the most probable one (from the makers of Myst, comes Wololo, a new experience in virtual proselytisation)

Edited by usagi

Haha... Flashbulb Hero. Nice. Oh yeah?!?!?!?! OH YEAH?!

Well here is a concept of mine for a Max/MSP patch that connects to pneumatic pumps and pipes to different parts of your body. So then you have your track split up or whatever, and then it rocks your body hard based on your input, by rapidly inflating and deflating airbags. "The future of feeling your music.... is to FEEL YOUR MUSIC."

Yah, I dunno. Like, half a game, I guess. With the goal of getting rocked by choonage:

mu_me-max-msp-patch.gif

Mix that with a DAW sim, and you got yourself an awesome game. Okay, I'll get a kickstarter up and running for our project: $12million budget.

Edited by peace 7

So then you have your track split up or whatever, and then it rocks your body hard based on your input, by rapidly inflating and deflating airbags. "The future of feeling your music.... is to FEEL YOUR MUSIC."

(ps ace gif !)

Yeah, well that's specifically for crotch masturbation. My Max/MSP project is for full-blown full-body cum-with-your-elbows shit. Unfortunately you prolly can't disconnect yourself with what I designed, so if you send Drukqs through it, you're in for 100 minutes of no-mercy forced-orgasm, forced-piss-and-shitting-- possibly forced-hospitalization.

..so I can't remember if we've already talked about how fucking disappointing Watch_Dogs is? What a boring game.

Also, the music is absolutely terrible. Not only the licensed music but the in-game music as well. Gawd.

Agree about the lackluster music selection in the car radio, think the in-game music is functional enough, haven't bothered me playing missions. I understand the disappointment if you fell for the hype, high expectations, or compare it with the ultimate sandbox game GTAV, but I can't say it isn't fun. The story is typical cliche anti-hero bullshit, but I like the arcady feel of everything, the far cry 3 like gang hide-out enemy tagging and strategically taking foe's out or go rambo on their asses. It is a best seller for Ubisoft so I can see them pimping out new versions a la assassins creed and improving it.

Guest bitroast

this game would work well with the Occulus rift. make it feel like you're actually sitting in front of a computer making music.

maxmspvr.jpg

I got DayZ this weekend and went co-oping with a friend. I'd only tried it out a couple times before in short stints.

After working out the initial kinks of navigation and meeting up, gathering basic necessities and various bandit encounters and stupid tripfalls (losing my first canteen and rifle by lag-slipping off an edge of the Rify boat was frustrating), we gradually figured things out and began working as an effective two man survival team.

While I was adamant about going the friendly route to begin with, after losing essential gear too many times we became the kill-on-sight bandits that plague this game. Our first confirmed kill happened while scavenging in Berezino. We had all the basic necessities, plus a fully-loaded shotgun and Mosin rifle (spray-painted black) and were mainly looking for sorely needed backpacks, extra ammo and whatever else would support an extended trek somewhere else. I was going door-to-door like some kleptomanic Jehova's Witness when my buddy, positioned at the roof of the police station, asked me "Is that you coming up the stairs?".

I said no, and we realized we encountered the first player that hadn't opened fire on us before we knew what happened. The stranger had put his hands up while my buddy held him at point-blank range with a shotgun, neither saying a thing. They both stayed like that for a while... until I sneaked up the stairs and shanked the poor guy in the back with a fire-axe. It felt bad killing him for a measly school-back pack and a broken compass, but that's life in Chernarus.

I left my friend behind in some deep forest and used the dirty, barely-readable compass to make it more than halfway across the map westward, to a military site where I found some cool camo clothes, a hunting backpack and an all but ruined scope, plus a fashionable .357 with a holster. Having 60-something Mosin rounds and enough food and water to last a trek anywhere on the map. I'm almost afraid to log back in at this point for fear of losing it all.

This game is a weird thing, riddled with nearly game-breaking bugs but fucking amazingly immersive at the same time. I really dig the atmosphere, the sounds and the intense psychological vibes, being on edge even when you're scavenging some odd backwater village just because one door was already open when you got there. I was a huge fan of Operation Flashpoint when it came out and love that kind of huge world-setting and flexible, realistic interaction. The food and water thing was really annoying in the beginning but now I think it's one of the strong points of this game... makes finding something as simple as a water bottle or a can opener feel like a big achievement. It really brings the worst out in people though. Hearing someone say "I'm friendly" while they're just waiting for an opportunity to kill you in the most economical way makes you lose faith in strangers.

Splendid idea, but I'm afraid the technology just isn't there yet to bring to life your artistic vision. Instead we get this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8O35zgqxjo

I finished up the good karma campaign for Infamous Second Son yesterday.

I thought the whole game was great.

Not sure if I'm going to finish the evil karma game or not yet.

Guest jasondonervan

Ex-Team ICO staffers joining a small team to create Vane:

LandProj_Ball.pngboyStampWater.gif

vane_screen_01.jpg?format=1000w

vane_screen_02.jpg?format=1000w

vane_screen_04.jpg?format=1000w

vane_screen_03.jpg?format=1000w

vane_screen_05.jpg?format=1000w

DitherTest.gif?format=1000w

gifmania_02.gif?format=750w

storm.gif?format=500w

ex-the-last-gaurdian-artists-reveal-shad

"Little is known about the project, but according to Friend & Foe's official site, Vane is "an open-world adventure game based on mystery and exploration". You play as "a child with an odd ability stuck in a strange land." While the early images suggest a SotC-esque wasteland, the dev's description noted that this desolate desert is populated by a "strange civilization" and there will be puzzle solving along with other yet to be revealed gameplay mechanics.

While two of its members have Team Ico pedigree, the other three staffers at Friend & Foe worked in the art departments on Bionic Commando, Battlefield 3 and Killzone.

Vane is set to come to PC first with other platforms yet to be announced. It's release date is "when it's done." How much do you want to bet it still beats The Last Guardian to market?"

I want to play this.

Edited by jasondonervan

"You play as "a child with an odd ability stuck in a strange land."

Sweet. The desert setting is definitely new and refreshing. Maybe it'll even have a calming soundtrack and long sections of walking in a straight line.