images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoKzh-482BRQjoisGpydZ

this was beautiful. jarringly odd but tender and endearing: like a cross between mike leigh and chuck vincent's roommates, but it also has it's own thing going on. 

solid nine out of ten

21 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

new Blomkamp incoming

he’s also finally working on the script for District 10:

https://collider.com/neill-blomkamp-district-9-sequel-plot/

I'm so ready for this. When I heard he was doing a indie horror flick I was super excited, trailer has me extra pumped. Watching this makes me wish they had given him that Alien movie to make, it would have been bonkers good (tho I'm a pretty big Blomkamp apologist w/ exception of Elysium) 

20 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

I'm so ready for this. When I heard he was doing a indie horror flick I was super excited, trailer has me extra pumped. Watching this makes me wish they had given him that Alien movie to make, it would have been bonkers good (tho I'm a pretty big Blomkamp apologist w/ exception of Elysium) 

Elysium grew on me after a while, the epic scale was great, it’s just an example of the studio giving the director way more money than he needed to tell his story, and it got bloated. 

On 7/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, Rubin Farr said:

I keep reading about Zola. Has anyone actually seen it?

C276FEB3-3F12-4934-83E8-855FD8B9F5FF.jpeg

somewhat entertaining, cringe/humor with a Pulp Fiction kind of energy to it, but similar to Springbreakers in style

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Elysium grew on me after a while, the epic scale was great, it’s just an example of the studio giving the director way more money than he needed to tell his story, and it got bloated. 

Yeah, I'm willing to give it another try - I pretty much have loved everything else he's done (Chappie is way better than people give it credit for IMO) and the Oats Studio stuff was fantastic, even if it was just a lot of proof-of-concept things. Also stoked about the District 10 news, would be REALLY interested to see him revisit that world...

On 7/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, Rubin Farr said:

I keep reading about Zola. Has anyone actually seen it?

C276FEB3-3F12-4934-83E8-855FD8B9F5FF.jpeg

finally did. thought it was okay- a little distracted with itself as it seemed to have unnecessarily long, dragged out scenes sometimes or mtv style edits, transitions and montages the other. 

the girl that plays zola can seriously get it though out of ten

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 11:53 PM, milkface said:

Currently halfway through once upon a time in hollywood. Jesus fuck it's boring.

I watched this last night and loved it.

Leo d cap was really good to be fair.  The scene where he fucks up and asks for his lines... Then realised he's gotta stop drinking. .. then later the scene with the girl and they applaud him; the realisation and the tears in his face that he can do this and doesn't need the booze! 

Also;

Spoiler

I didn't know anything about Sharon Tate so the whole situation made much more sense after I googled her, and thus the genius of Tarrantino was unearthed. This is the Hollywood that could have been, the alternative time line where a slightly nuts acid drenched stunt guy actually got in the way to intercept the Manson gang. 

Sharon and her unborn daughter survived, Roman probably went on to make a ton more great films and Leo's character probably had a golden era of films from his new found friendships. Cliff probably retired a hero.  A proper storybook ending. 

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Soloman Tump said:

Leo d cap was really good to be fair.  The scene where he fucks up and asks for his lines... Then realised he's gotta stop drinking. .. then later the scene with the girl and they applaud him; the realisation and the tears in his face that he can do this and doesn't need the booze! 

Also;

Hide contents

I didn't know anything about Sharon Tate so the whole situation made much more sense after I googled her, and thus the genius of Tarrantino was unearthed. This is the Hollywood that could have been, the alternative time line where a slightly nuts acid drenched stunt guy actually got in the way to intercept the Manson gang. 

Sharon and her unborn daughter survived, Roman probably went on to make a ton more great films and Leo's character probably had a golden era of films from his new found friendships. Cliff probably retired a hero.  A proper storybook ending. 

Roman sodomized a 13 year old girl after drugging her, then fled the US and never returned. He should have died that night.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

3 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

Also;

Reveal hidden contents

i thought the acting was brilliant but the story just dragged on and on and on and some points just felt so irrelevant and left me wondering why it had been left in

Watched The Empty Man last night (not to be confused with the Hollow Man or the Invisible Man). Totally worth a gander if you're into horror (it's on HBO Max if you have it), in a lot of ways kind of a spiritual brother to Jacob's Ladder. It's not omg best horror movie ever, but well directed, well acted, with some twists and turns that legitimately threw me - including the ending which is more ambiguous than it appears on first glance. DO NOT read anything about before you watch it - I happened upon it as a recommend that explicitly said go in knowing as little as possible, and totally agree. 

Spoiler

If anyone watches this, I'd love to hear their take. I read an interview with the director where he said there are actually 3 different interpretations you could argue about the end, and that he sprinkled breadcrumbs for all 3 throughout the movie. 

• Like 1

Pig (2021)

Pig (2021)
"A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped."
Directed by: Michael Sarnoski
Written by: Vanessa Block, Michael Sarnoski
With: Nicolas Cage, Alex Wolff, Adam Arkin

My opinion:
I really liked this movie.
I highly recommend giving it a watch.
Calm, touching, great cinematography, good acting, layered, real.
One of the better movies of recent years imo.
?

?

Red Letter Media also reviewed it very recently:

Spoiler

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 3

Watched The Empty Man as well, I liked it, warts and all. Reminded me of Session 9 for some reason. Definitely not what I was expecting after seeing the trailer a while back, in a good way.

ps. I haven't seen session 9 since it came out on DVD, so I barely remember any of it.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

^ Yeah, so funny, Session 9 was the first thing I thought of after I got done. Also haven't seen that one in ages, and it's not even like the plots are anywhere alike ... guess it's something about the feel of the movie. 

BTW, the graphic novel it's based on is out there on the internet - doesn't necessarily add to the movie (if anything, I actually think the movie adds to the graphic novel, which is unusual) but entertaining/interesting way to kill an hour .. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, T3551ER said:

Watched The Empty Man last night (not to be confused with the Hollow Man or the Invisible Man). Totally worth a gander if you're into horror (it's on HBO Max if you have it), in a lot of ways kind of a spiritual brother to Jacob's Ladder. It's not omg best horror movie ever, but well directed, well acted, with some twists and turns that legitimately threw me - including the ending which is more ambiguous than it appears on first glance. DO NOT read anything about before you watch it - I happened upon it as a recommend that explicitly said go in knowing as little as possible, and totally agree. 

Hide contents

If anyone watches this, I'd love to hear their take. I read an interview with the director where he said there are actually 3 different interpretations you could argue about the end, and that he sprinkled breadcrumbs for all 3 throughout the movie. 

I did not like it at all.

edit: and I remember really liking Session 9, super effective on a low budget

edit edit: I am keen to see Pig

Edited by usagi

MV5BMjE3ODc2Nzg2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzIx

this was an incredibly silly film with a plot that had so much potential. jason patric(from the lost boys) could have gone on to be a matt damon (type actor), but this euro-trip tv movie didn't do much for his career. what (imo) convinced him to even attempt this role was a very elaborate sequence where he attempts to forge a rembrandt. unfortunately everything else (including the set pieces) are painfully uninspired and the whole thing is rushed to an incredibly clumsy conclusion

in honor of its 30th anniversary, I decided to watch Point Break for the millionth time. this movie is so ingrained into my consciousness...brings back those nostalgic California beach memories that I never actually had, and were implanted into my brain thanks to countless movies & TV shows being filmed there in the '80s/'90s. I remember when PB came out in 1991. that was a massive year for the summer blockbuster. T2, The Rocketeer, Costner's Robin Hood, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey...these were all landmark films for a youngster back then. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 1:16 PM, T3551ER said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ok just realised this is on Netflix UK now, so im gonna watch it tonight.  I watched the trailler, so im primed for a Candyman reboot but judging by many comments it should be something much different.

Edited by Soloman Tump

2 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

Ok just realised this is on Netflix UK now, so im gonna watch it tonight.  I watched the trailler, so im primed for a Candyman reboot but judging by many comments it should be something much different.

Yeah, will be curious to see what you think afterwards. It's not perfect by any means but... yeah, not going to say any more, but def would be interested in your thoughts after you watch. 

@usagiread your comments, totally get why you might not like this one. I think part of it's how much you buy into the film as a whole - it's a pretty slow burn and if you aren't on board by halfway it's probably not going to win you over by the end. 

Also, yeah, Pig so on the radar. 

Also, also REALLY want to see the Green Knight. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

in honor of its 30th anniversary, I decided to watch Point Break for the millionth time. this movie is so ingrained into my consciousness...brings back those nostalgic California beach memories that I never actually had, and were implanted into my brain thanks to countless movies & TV shows being filmed there in the '80s/'90s. I remember when PB came out in 1991. that was a massive year for the summer blockbuster. T2, The Rocketeer, Costner's Robin Hood, Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey...these were all landmark films for a youngster back then. 

Being in high school then, it was weird to see the Chili Peppers pop up in PB, only a year after Flea was in Back to the Future 2&3

39 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

Being in high school then, it was weird to see the Chili Peppers pop up in PB, only a year after Flea was in Back to the Future 2&3

yeah Anthony being in PB was another cool factor notch in their belt whenever they exploded toward the end of '91 after Blood Sugar came out. Flea wasn't in it though.

and while we're at it - Flea will never top his role as one of the nihilist dudes in Big Lebowski. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zero said:

yeah Anthony being in PB was another cool factor notch in their belt whenever they exploded toward the end of '91 after Blood Sugar came out. Flea wasn't in it though.

and while we're at it - Flea will never top his role as one of the nihilist dudes in Big Lebowski. 

Yeah I guess it was the Mandela Effect, I could have sworn Flea was in PB too.