Dune Went to see this in the theater. First time out doing something like this since the pandemic started, such a weird relief to do something as basic as just... sitting in a theater and watching a good movie. And it was very good. It didn't blow my mind as the next coming of the  Kwisatz Haderach (haha), but what it did do is somehow very faithfully (though it has been some years since I read the novels) translate Dune into moving imagery. There was not a moment I felt was wasted and I'm still agog that any studio would lay down the amount of money it must have required to make this very weird sci-fi film (particularly when it is oh so clearly a true "part I of II.") My only regret is that I didn't see it on IMAX because there is an awesome sense of scale that I feel like must be even more impressive on the largest of screens. Something to do w/ combination of practical and CG... really well carried off. 

This may sound like damning praise but I'm also just kind of amazed at how it didn't fuck it up. It's definitely Dune. It's definitely awash in complex tendrils of political intrigue and alien cultures and it would be so easy to tip too far into the weeds or pull back too much and miss the trees - somehow it doesn't do that. The world building is excellent and, honestly, I feel like even if I had never read the books or seen the OG Dune I still would have "got" what was going on. A beautiful marriage of design/cinematography/script/acting. Something greater than the sum of its parts. Never seen Chalamet but he's a great Paul, and even all of the secondary actors crushed it (w/ the exception of the ecology chick... only acting weak spot in the entire thing). 

Mortal Kombat  It was.. ok? Some nice nods, Kano was a fucking hoot all the way through. Felt weirdly too short and overly long at the same time. I'd totally watch a sequel though (as long as I didn't have to pay for it). 

Guys, I just watched The Eternals. Absolutely fucking abysmal.

This will test the patience of even the most hardcore comic nerd. Everyone else will probably just leave the theatre long before the ending.

I wish I had...

On 11/4/2021 at 12:35 PM, fumi said:

Guys, I just watched The Eternals. Absolutely fucking abysmal.

This will test the patience of even the most hardcore comic nerd. Everyone else will probably just leave the theatre long before the ending.

I wish I had...

Holy crap it was bad 

im5932a0bfd2765.jpg

this film was amazing. that family approved sticker is no joke. somehow the fat kid from stand by me is a dad and really chewing up his scenes (because he's the most experienced i suppose). everything that comes afterwards has to be some kind of peyote induced fever dream

• Burger 1

rear window: very nice. not without its flaws though:

Spoiler

the resolution of the mystery is rather disappointing: there is no mystery, no plot twist, james stewart was right all along. 

the killer is just the dumbest criminal in human history, doesn't know that the glass of windows is transparent on both sides, doesn't know what curtains are made for. ironically, doyle misleads the audience by pointing out that fact. but no, turns out the killer is just a idiot. 

the flashbulb scene at the end is plain dumb: the killer didn't think of closing his eyes/putting his hand in front on his eyes to prevent being blinded by benn jordan the flashbulb and continue walking towards james stewart, or simply run towards him. what an idiot.

when stewart sees lisa fighting with the killer in his apartment, neither he or the nurse think of screaming for help. his girlfriend is about to be killed and he just watches.

the subplots are gratuituous (miss lonelyheart, the dancer, the recently married couple, etc.)

everything is caricatural. 

other than that, it's a great flick.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

51YEV+xbabL._AC_SY445_.jpg

this was a "wholesome" re-creation of the book- and by saying that, it is still pretty brutal. what it does (and roots did this as well) as compress decades into seconds and you loose that bond that people have when they've known one another for a long time. imo, it's best to watch this if you've read the book rather than the other way around. also, don't let sam jackson's face on the poster fool you. him and phylicia rashad are barely in it. 

Everest_poster.jpg

i've been watching "almost anything" everest and i have to say the 96 disaster has to be one of the most compelling stories about a sojourn up the (or any) mountain i've seen so far. 

having seen this film previously but not being familiar with the story, i can say that seeing it again i noticed how bad it was. it favors some characters more than others- makes others out to be incredibly unlikeable or just erases others from history all together (eg. why did they completely remove makalu from history?), and looks terrible once they start the climb. 

unfortunate for such a compelling story

MV5BMTYwODcxMTk1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE5

this started off pretty promising, then it just walked off a cliff and into the void. firstly, none of these actors can sell their act, but things are made much worse when the dialogue is so bad. also- the casting is pretty bad. besides the guy playing scott fischer who (i guess kinda looks like him?) i couldn't fathom for even a second why these people were chosen for their characters. 

i'll guess they had a pretty tight window to turn around a profit and just went with what they could and cobbled some music to stitch it all together.

15 hours ago, Nebraska said:

MV5BMTYwODcxMTk1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTE5

this started off pretty promising, then it just walked off a cliff and into the void. firstly, none of these actors can sell their act, but things are made much worse when the dialogue is so bad. also- the casting is pretty bad. besides the guy playing scott fischer who (i guess kinda looks like him?) i couldn't fathom for even a second why these people were chosen for their characters. 

i'll guess they had a pretty tight window to turn around a profit and just went with what they could and cobbled some music to stitch it all together.

Saw you are on an an Everest kick. Took a while to track this down but wife and I watched this documentary a few years ago. Remember it being highly compelling (suspect better than the IMAX film) and includes interviews with the climber/documenter and members of the party that survived. Honestly would watch this over a dramatic re-enactment any day, extremely well done/enjoyable and pretty fascinating insight into how people's minds work in very extreme situations...

been watching a bunch of hitchcock films. spoilers ahead:

shadow of a doubt: it's ok. great atmosphere. the fact that the police ceases to investigate charlie when the other supect dies is completely dumb imo. the way charlie dies is stupid too. 

stage fright: not good. the flashback being a lie is neat though. 

strangers on a train: meh. the character of bruno isn't credible. 

i confess: not bad. 

to catch a thief: meh. the french riviera looks amazing in this film though. 

the trouble with harry: poop. 

the man who knew too much (1956): pretty good. the 1st half of the film in marrakesh is amazing, fantastic atmosphere. the script gets dumb with the foreign ambassy shenanigans, the royal albert hall scene and the piano scene at the end. pity. 

the wrong man: meh.

other than hitchcock flicks, i watched dune. as much as i would have loved to hate it, i actually quite enjoyed it. it's really not that bad. i'm really not a fan of the perfume ad visual aesthetics, i can't stand jason momoa, i don't care for pew pew battle shit (which was kept to a minimum, smart move) and fight scenes (speaking of, the fight scene at the end is complete shit, no tension), the main character looks constantly constipated, his mother isn't credible... but despite all that, it's great entertainment. very immersive, great atmosphere. skarsgard is great as the villain. the sequel will inevitably be shit but that's another story.

Edited by brian trageskin
  • Like 1