This was really fun and original for its budget, possibly a new classic? The ads on my HULU plan were really annoying though, and halted the kinetic momentum of the film. HULU, put your ads at the beginning like other streamers. The sound is mixed pretty low, to give your surrounds a real workout, great visual fx as well.

Spoiler

The ending took a "wait, what?" left turn, but the lack of dialogue really let you concentrate on the cinematography and sound design, which was top notch.

No one will save you poster.JPG

• Like 1

^ the basic idea of horror benefiting from emotional grounding is now something beaten over audiences' heads relentlessly. Smile was the same deal.

in other horror-related news, I read the other day that the guy who made that mess of an adaptation of Silent Hill is doing Silent Hill 2 as well :psyduck:

• Sad 1

I didn't think it even existed anymore, but 123movies has a pretty cool selection albeit totally jumbled together, just flicking through the first couple pages of the horror section you get one of the infamous Guinea Pig movies alongside Basket Case, Funny Games, The Gate and loads of weird looking stuff I've never even heard of. 

I settled for a Norwegian film called Syk Pike which was excellent. After that watched Salesmen, which felt like it could have been a really good Kevin Smith movie had he not gone off the deep end about a decade ago. 

Also rewatched The House That Jack Built, which was way better on second viewing, that last segment alone is worth it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

James Cameron has done a 4K remaster of The Abyss, apparently in secret. Hopefully it gets a theatrical release.

the abyss.jpg

Holy shit I haven't seen that for years! Blew my mind when I watched it. What an amazing film. I'd actually totally forgot it existed...

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 6:47 AM, Nebraska said:

1273044422038_f.jpg?w=584

a tennis player is mortally wounded after a terrorist attack- then saved by a secret organization that revives her as.... battlecop; a lethal, no-nonsense robocop babe

a wobbly seven out of ten

I have this hazy pre-teen memory of watching a Japanese (or may not have been? could have been a different East Asian joint) scifi/cyberpunk/horror movie on grimy VHS which featured a machine woman put together by scientists. she had rocket feet and could fly. in fact, the scene I always remember from it was one where she malfunctions and goes berserk against her creator(s) in a kind of slapstick runaround and they just manage to switch her off before she flies into someone and nearly kills him. like, she stops midair and just falls to the ground.

I've always tried to dig up whatever that movie might have been. I thought for a sec it was this but I checked it and it isn't.

• Like 1

Noticed The Hurt Locker is on BBC iPlayer so I'll watch that tonight. Seen it when it came out and thought it was a classic. Definite rewatch potential.

Edited by beerwolf

31 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Just watched Prey. Wow, wasn't expecting much. 8/10

I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed it too. I remember catching some shit for posting that I liked it here. 2nd best film in the franchise, imo. 

• Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

14 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The Creator seems to be a real disappointment, 67% RT and $14 million opening weekend. Hoped to see it in IMAX.

reminds me of Extrapolations that also had a really great trailer but turned out to be pretty boring. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I really was surprised at how much I enjoyed it too. I remember catching some shit for posting that I liked it here. 2nd best film in the franchise, imo. 

Funny, I had second thoughts about saying I liked it 😜

On 9/30/2023 at 6:12 AM, Rubin Farr said:

James Cameron has done a 4K remaster of The Abyss, apparently in secret. Hopefully it gets a theatrical release.

the abyss.jpg

Hopefully he walked (well, swam...) back from that bloated director's cut ending?

i'm trying out a free 30 days of Mubi to see if i still enjoying watching movies that aren't just bland shit so might be spamming up this thread for a few weeks (sorry)

Inspector Ike: a cute idea that was twice as long as it needed to be. kitschy detective thing done up as an indie comedy? cool, do it in 50 minutes or less like those 70s shows really did. it was bloated AF. first laugh was almost exactly 20 minutes in, was about to give up until then. everyone in it was pretty fun, music was cool, shot well but just...yeah, bloated.

Blind Beast: had no clue what this was other than the image header and brief description and it got far weirder than expected. not a bad thing, very much had a theatre play type vibe with the containment and set design...weird foreign pseudo-erotica vibes made me feel like i was Nebraska tho but it was interesting enough. not sure i'd recommend it. maybe would've been better as a short story (maybe it was? idk) the last 1/3s narration definitely had it leaning towards those vibes.

Just saw the new Exorcist movie. 5/10.

As this is supposed to be a follow on movie to the original, that score goes down to 2.

Absolute utter rubbish, where everyone involved in this mess had no conception whatsoever of what made the 1973 film so memorable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 10/7/2023 at 6:11 AM, fumi said:

As this is supposed to be a follow on movie to the original, that score goes down to 2.

Absolute utter rubbish, where everyone involved in this mess had no conception whatsoever of what made the 1973 film so memorable.

you'll be pleased to know there are already two sequels planned.

I watched Luz, a weird short experimental/arthouse German horror flick about possession. I liked it.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 3:11 PM, fumi said:

In the middle of an Exorcist binge too, which version of the prequel is worth watching, either? neither?

IMG_4726.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg