camp x-ray - [somewhat spoilerish]

don't think i've ever seen a film so completely annihilated by a horrible finale. it gets pretty much everything right and simply destroys it in the last 10-15 minutes. a real shame as it had a chance to say something deeper, at least how it felt during most of it.

Edited by eugene

in real life most of the time people mumble at one another and don't even bother finishing their sentences, and repeat what they say every 20 mins, would make for shit cinema.

Prove it.

I don't have to prove it, it should be obvious if you just open your ears and....

certainly true of the irish

Boyhood

7/10

A little bit overrated I thought. I saw this mentioned everywhere in the press, and I'm a big fan of Richard Linklater.

The concept is an interesting one; following a boy over 12 years and you get to see him grow into a young man.

I just thought the boy actor wasn't that versatile. But maybe that's the point of the film; to demonstrate the reality of how people interact and behave around one another. Not all of us are versatile with our behaviours as we grow older (some of us still behave like we did when we were younger). I just expected a script that showed lots of changes in the boy's character as he grew up, to keep the film interesting, but that expectation wasn't satisfied. Doesn't mean the film is bad though. I did like the grittiness of it; the ups and downs of family life. Linklater captured that really well.

It's a decent watch but too long (almost 3 hours).

edit: Ethan Hawke's Dad character was really cool. Probably best acting in the film.

If I did a concept film like this, the highlight would be the 12 year timelapse shot of the boy's child penis growing to a man's; his smoothness exploding into a wrecked pubic mound of jungle fury. The story would be deep with many sideplots, but the main narrative would revolve around the pubic hair.

Edited by peace 7

12 year timelapse shot of the boy's child penis growing to a man's; his smoothness exploding into a wrecked pubic mound of jungle fury. The story would be deep with many sideplots, but the main narrative would revolve around the pubic hair.

just an advisory note - this might also get you locked up mate

Boyhood

7/10

A little bit overrated I thought. I saw this mentioned everywhere in the press, and I'm a big fan of Richard Linklater.

The concept is an interesting one; following a boy over 12 years and you get to see him grow into a young man.

I just thought the boy actor wasn't that versatile. But maybe that's the point of the film; to demonstrate the reality of how people interact and behave around one another. Not all of us are versatile with our behaviours as we grow older (some of us still behave like we did when we were younger). I just expected a script that showed lots of changes in the boy's character as he grew up, to keep the film interesting, but that expectation wasn't satisfied. Doesn't mean the film is bad though. I did like the grittiness of it; the ups and downs of family life. Linklater captured that really well.

It's a decent watch but too long (almost 3 hours).

edit: Ethan Hawke's Dad character was really cool. Probably best acting in the film.

If I did a concept film like this, the highlight would be the 12 year timelapse shot of the boy's child penis growing to a man's; his smoothness exploding into a wrecked pubic mound of jungle fury. The story would be deep with many sideplots, but the main narrative would revolve around the pubic hair.

Duuuude

Birdman - I could only watch this 'til around half way, I found the acting forced and felt like i could see right through the characters into the actors just acting - I think the camerawork might have had something to do with it (?) for half the movie I give it a 4/10

Edited by sine nomine

So that's an 8/10 for the whole thing then?

No, can't say really ...haven't seen the other half. I know kind of pointless to give it a score if I haven't finished watching it - I just couldn't buy the acting - shame.

No, I'll just stick to a 4/10 final score.

Edited by sine nomine

12 year timelapse shot of the boy's child penis growing to a man's; his smoothness exploding into a wrecked pubic mound of jungle fury. The story would be deep with many sideplots, but the main narrative would revolve around the pubic hair.

This is exactly why Hollywood films are generally shit. It is illegal to make good films. "Yeah, um- if I have to think for more than 1 second in your film, you're getting murdered, and it's gonna look like a suicide."--Hollywood

We are at a time in filmmaking- and in a crazy world- where possibly the only way forward is to do 12 year timelapses of penis and pubic hair growth. Seeing such real footage on the silverscreen (preferably in IMAX 3D) is the only way to wake up the general populace to help them realize: "Oh, yeah-- I'm a human being. Life is precious. I should learn how to do things. Explore the world. I almost forgot that being a slut, only caring about material goods, and being selfish are not on the path towards true happiness. I got lost in Hollywood bullshit values determining my life and stifling growth. We are humans and grow, forever. But Hollywood tries to define values as absolute, intending to keep me an eternal child. Thank you 12 year timelapse of penis and pubic hair growth film-- you have saved me from living a life of chosen retardedness."

This is exactly why Hollywood films are generally shit. It is illegal to make good films. "Yeah, um- if I have to think for more than 1 second in your film, you're getting murdered, and it's gonna look like a suicide."--Hollywood

We are at a time in filmmaking- and in a crazy world- where possibly the only way forward is to do 12 year timelapses of penis and pubic hair growth. Seeing such real footage on the silverscreen (preferably in IMAX 3D) is the only way to wake up the general populace to help them realize: "Oh, yeah-- I'm a human being. Life is precious. I should learn how to do things. Explore the world. I almost forgot that being a slut, only caring about material goods, and being selfish are not on the path towards true happiness. I got lost in Hollywood bullshit values determining my life and stifling growth. We are humans and grow, forever. But Hollywood tries to define values as absolute, intending to keep me an eternal child. Thank you 12 year timelapse of penis and pubic hair growth film-- you have saved me from living a life of chosen retardedness."

think you've completely tangented here chap - if you're trying to extrapolate a relationship between good art and censorship, thats something else entirely

but if yer going to depict images of naked under-age kids in the name of art, then thats a tad different, n'est pas? is that something u'd want your own son/daughter involved with?

so - absolute values? when it comes to kids then yes, every time and the difference is crystal clear, even if naked kids turn up on Led Zep lp's, Brooke Shields (sp?) exploitation films and god know wherever else

Edited by cwmbrancity

you could flip it to make it age inclusive, like what about the cocks with dementia, Alzheimers & Parkisons? arent the olde cock cycles relevant too, or are we all just too petrified of failing boner biology?

eg: imagine that kid from Boyhood in an assisted living apartment aged 80yrs old, pissing n soiling himself, with a broken catheter n no nurse arriving when the on-call button gets pushed

aye, too much reality

Edited by cwmbrancity

Black Narcissus (1947):

After opening a convent in the Himalayas, five nuns encounter conflict and tension - both with the natives and also within their own group - as they attempt to adapt to their remote, exotic surroundings.

Seems to be known mostly for being one of those lush saturated Technicolor affairs. Very surreal and dreamlike but in a way that makes perfect sense (in other words, not the Lost Highway kind of dreamlike). Lots of theatrics and obviousness on the one hand, but at the same time so much is implied rather than shown explicitly. This movie felt special. If you haven't seen it I'd recommend watching it completely unspoiled without even googling screenshots.

And strangely I've never seen Deborah Kerr look better or more interesting than she does in her wimple here, she looks even more meticulously styled than the rest of the movie, even the other nuns' habits noticeably didn't fit quite as well.

think you've completely tangented here chap - if you're trying to extrapolate a relationship between good art and censorship, thats something else entirely

but if yer going to depict images of naked under-age kids in the name of art, then thats a tad different, n'est pas? is that something u'd want your own son/daughter involved with?

so - absolute values? when it comes to kids then yes, every time and the difference is crystal clear, even if naked kids turn up on Led Zep lp's, Brooke Shields (sp?) exploitation films and god know wherever else

he is taking the piss. bran, meet peace7.

Yah, well I was half joking, half making serious deep points about how depiction of humanity in popular film can reverse twisted views that've been shoveled into minds by Hollywood. Tons of explosions and sexuality without benefit to narrative-- what the fuck does that shit have to do with anything?

A pubez growth 12 year timelapse is bad, but freely depicting violence without benefiting thought/feelings/life/paradigms is good and natural? cwmbrancity-- your post is exactly why I was half serious about my post. If you are male, your penis grew from child ages, and now you have pubez. That shit actually happened to you and is relevant, and viewing such a thing could possibly bring to the surface the innate understanding that you are human, you have grown, and you shall continue to grow; thus adding realization of appreciation to the extensions of yourself in this world. But what about dozens of people being shot up and murdered with no plot or benefit to deeper understanding of life or anything? That violent shit happens daily in this world, but by presenting superficialities of it in film, the deeper aspects are not conveyed. If you saw action movie level murder right in front of your face, you'd prolly puke. Why didn't you puke in a film depiction of it? Because heart is usually not given with such depiction-- therefore, such usages are merely skewing and abstracting death to a novelty of really shitty aesthetics. Yet, it's pretty likely that you've been brought to tears by a film, because the superficialities of such scenes held onto heart (though in recent years, there are more love stories that have no backstory, further attempting to superficialize another sacred theme). Pointless shit in film is like a test of how far skewing of mankind can go. Like in other threads here about fucked up USA cops and murder and militarization-- we see hardcore shit in film constantly since birth with no heart attached, so we cannot see how absolutely horrible it is when tamer versions happen in (indirect) life. So we let it happen to others. And we let ourselves be stupified as modern societal people, who don't give a shit about protecting artforms which have the potential to be divine and highly beneficial to all who partake. By fucking up art, we fuck up society as a whole.

So, no- I don't literally want to take photos of some kid's dick until it swells, his balls drop, and his pubic mound becomes a mess of jungle fury, for 12 years straight-- but when the opportunity arose, if I didn't write about a serious topic and view with the intention of benefitting possibly 1 person out of thousands- if even abstractly as I did- then I'd be just as shitty an artist as all the hacks who use artforms to fuck up the world.

If you can't see that a timelapse of crotch for 12 years is more real, more relevant, and less offensive than a lot of what Hollywood spews out, then you've lost the sense of humanity that turned your crawl into a walk. You walked because you wanted to explore your world-- not so you could be spoonfed lies by people who don't care about you.

Guest bitroast

Yah, well I was half joking, half making serious deep points about how depiction of humanity in popular film can reverse twisted views that've been shoveled into minds by Hollywood. Tons of explosions and sexuality without benefit to narrative-- what the fuck does that shit have to do with anything?

A pubez growth 12 year timelapse is bad, but freely depicting violence without benefiting thought/feelings/life/paradigms is good and natural? cwmbrancity-- your post is exactly why I was half serious about my post. If you are male, your penis grew from child ages, and now you have pubez. That shit actually happened to you and is relevant, and viewing such a thing could possibly bring to the surface the innate understanding that you are human, you have grown, and you shall continue to grow; thus adding realization of appreciation to the extensions of yourself in this world. But what about dozens of people being shot up and murdered with no plot or benefit to deeper understanding of life or anything? That violent shit happens daily in this world, but by presenting superficialities of it in film, the deeper aspects are not conveyed. If you saw action movie level murder right in front of your face, you'd prolly puke. Why didn't you puke in a film depiction of it? Because heart is usually not given with such depiction-- therefore, such usages are merely skewing and abstracting death to a novelty of really shitty aesthetics. Yet, it's pretty likely that you've been brought to tears by a film, because the superficialities of such scenes held onto heart (though in recent years, there are more love stories that have no backstory, further attempting to superficialize another sacred theme). Pointless shit in film is like a test of how far skewing of mankind can go. Like in other threads here about fucked up USA cops and murder and militarization-- we see hardcore shit in film constantly since birth with no heart attached, so we cannot see how absolutely horrible it is when tamer versions happen in (indirect) life. So we let it happen to others. And we let ourselves be stupified as modern societal people, who don't give a shit about protecting artforms which have the potential to be divine and highly beneficial to all who partake. By fucking up art, we fuck up society as a whole.

So, no- I don't literally want to take photos of some kid's dick until it swells, his balls drop, and his pubic mound becomes a mess of jungle fury, for 12 years straight-- but when the opportunity arose, if I didn't write about a serious topic and view with the intention of benefitting possibly 1 person out of thousands- if even abstractly as I did- then I'd be just as shitty an artist as all the hacks who use artforms to fuck up the world.

If you can't see that a timelapse of crotch for 12 years is more real, more relevant, and less offensive than a lot of what Hollywood spews out, then you've lost the sense of humanity that turned your crawl into a walk. You walked because you wanted to explore your world-- not so you could be spoonfed lies by people who don't care about you.

oommg is it chris hensen in here or what ???

just shuddup already about the boy penis :pedobear: and let me watch my age of ulton in peace, peace 7.

errrrrrrrrrrm, tldr, but i appreciate your earnest approach......i think yer explaining that a time-lapse of sorts based on an inherent universal biological truth has more cajones (sorry i couldnt resist) and a greater moral imperative than soaking up Hollywood bs and ultra-violent gore?

again - dont be forgetting the alternative end of that spectrum of old age, decrepitude, incontinence, penile dysfunction, GREY PUBES, yeah wait til you get a few of those, waking up in a puddle of your own piss, infinite blood pressure pills, forgetting what you went to the shop for or where you parked your car or what the fuck is even a car in the 1st place......balance, ya dig?

in conclusion - i dunno wtf i just sneaked a few vapes in the train toilet to alleviate this fuckin boring train journey home & now everything is proper spangled

and as far as Boyhood's concerned, i've still not forgiven Linklatered for his perversion-verson of A Scanner Darkly

cue lynch mob,,,,,,,

although might rewatch just to see if theres owt worth retrieving from said abortion,,,,,,

and as far as Boyhood's concerned, i've still not forgiven Linklatered for his perversion-verson of A Scanner Darkly

cue lynch mob,,,,,,,

although might rewatch just to see if theres owt worth retrieving from said abortion,,,,,,

scanner darkly fucking rules