and as far as Boyhood's concerned, i've still not forgiven Linklatered for his perversion-verson of A Scanner Darkly

cue lynch mob,,,,,,,

although might rewatch just to see if theres owt worth retrieving from said abortion,,,,,,

scanner darkly fucking rules
Truth. Anything Linklater has done is gold.

Literal 10/10 director.

even Slacker?
Slacker is great as well. You don't like it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmnuHTJI9U

watched this last night. tippi hedren, her daughter melanie griffith, noel marshall (tippi's then husband) and his two sons decided to make a movie with more than 100 wild animals (mostly lions, leopards, jaguars, tigers and panthers) chasing around a house. all the animals were untrained. 70 people were injured. melanie griffith's face was almost ripped off. the cinematographer had his skull lifted by a lion. the assistant director's neck with bitten open. at one point, noel marshall jumps between two fighting lions and gets attacked- then he runs off into a building full of lionesses. that resulted in blood poisoning. later his leg gets bitten. this all happens in the first 15 minutes. it took 4 years to shot and almost bankrupt the family. in the end, tippi and her husband divorced and melanie griffith became a wreck.

this isn't so much a film as it is an endurance test.

Jesus H. Christ wat :wtf:

This sounds amazing

How haven't I heard of this film? Is it one of those where the background of the film is more interesting than the film itself or should it be given a go?

tec: it's kinda like watching a jackass version of swiss family robinson with 50 lions and 2 tigers. so if you like that sort of thing you'll like it. there isn't much of a story and even what's there you forget about it and just watch the attacks. there are two lions that are credited as co-directors because the animals were allowed to do whatever they wanted and everyone improvised around them- which was kinda easy because it was basically run for your life.

if you watch the making of, you get a sense there is A LOT they're not telling you, possibly for legal reasons and also due to the "are you out of your mind" factor. tippi hedren basically stops the interview multiple times crying or saying she doesn't want to talk about it. melanie griffith won't even discuss it. today tippi hedren is the most outspoken person against having wild animals as pets largely due to what happened during the making of this film

Edited by Nebraska

what a birdbrain. this is exactly the problem with sheltered feel-good animal rights casuals. I love animals and believe in keeping human interference in their worlds as minimal as possible, but they are still animals, not people. to attach human trappings/foibles to an animal is a big mistake, which this movie sounds like it was full of.

Edited by usagi

jupiter ascending

some of the worst, most ridiculous looking costume, character and set designs i've ever seen. there's no consistency whatsoever. shit's just all over the place. every action scene is on par with transformers in terms of shaky camera, and it's impossible to see what's going on. millions of dollars spent on crazy expensive cgi, and everytime something went down i felt like looking away from the screen until it was over. it didn't really have an ending either, and not like in an open ended way, im sure the film makers believe it has an ending, but by the end you have no idea what happened to half of all the characters the movie spent 2 hours introducing. i feel kinda bad for mila kunis and channing tatum for having been involved with this.

utter poop.

Mulholland Drive is one of those films that is impressive because it's a trip within itself, making you feel like a conspiracy theorist sleuthing inadvertent genius by putting tons of puzzle pieces in your head with loose connections. I've watched it several times, and I've found what I believe to be "the true story" that I haven't read about or watched in analysis of the film. I was gonna do a writeup or make a video about it, but then I realized that the idea of doing so made me want to punch myself in the dick-- I just imagined aaall the absolutely retarded YouTube comments from people who think The Expendables 2 is masterful filmmaking. But maybe what I've found is so straightforward that it's obvious? I dunno-- but I did watch the film on nights when I was up for a few days after weeks of "staying up modafinil experiments", and it got to the point where I was watching the film, and the fourth wall basically vanished. The film pulled me in and became a direct part of my perception, as if I was imagining it or something like that. But there are reeeally subtle hints with stuff on tables, usage of color, shit like that. It's one of those films that's so well directed and put together, that there are separate and meaningful experiences from watching the film with sound and without. Note: at this time, I also spent 7~9 hours or so watching The Lone Ranger, ONCE, and I came to the conclusion that it's a cinematic masterpiece (not gonna give further enlightenment to Buddha, but it's crafted almost perfectly).

The character of Louise, played by Deborah Harry of Blondie is an exclamation mark, reminding the viewer that we are dealing with a real blonde. The deposit left by her cat part of her vision of shit things in store for said blonde. Um yeah no yes maybe.

Remember not to poo-poo the "Good Life" warns the salt of the earth straight faced buggy enthusiast cowboy to the smirking hip film director.

A portly lady in a downtown office thinks something has bitten her real bad.

Billy Ray Cyrus teaches us the perils of not treating your lady right.

A mildly miffed neighbor comes along to pick up some of her stuff.

We feel bad for the chubby baby faced waiter, forced to partake in the coffee farce of film mogul types.

Bright naked vivacious female bodies on a backdrop of dank L.A apartment.

Phone calls being made/answered.

Trouble within a woman/a woman in trouble

Afflicted - Once I stopped hoping that it was going to be good I enjoyed the dumb fun of it all. A cross between The Fly and Chronicle and not as good as either. But...

sunlight clearly hurts you and it's not one of your first options when you want to die, wtf?

Vampire's Kiss. Every scene was gold

Nic Cage/10

I honestly think this is one of Nic's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS1BkF-TBng

Finally got around to watching this at the weekend, I love all things Nic Cage (recently watched Con Air again, round house kicks/10), and this was up their with his best shit. Amazing.

The-Babadook-Poster.jpg

really impressed. thought this was going to be just another run of the mill horror with a kid movie, then it turns into- well, something rather interesting. the kid in the film has a few funny moments because "just like his father he speaks what's on his mind" and that is charming without ruining the "horror" aspect

The-Babadook-Poster.jpg

really impressed. thought this was going to be just another run of the mill horror with a kid movie, then it turns into- well, something rather interesting. the kid in the film has a few funny moments because "just like his father he speaks what's on his mind" and that is charming without ruining the "horror" aspect

The Babadook started out great. Then at one point it fell on its ass and couldn't get back up.

I know it's an independent movie and all but the sound design was fucking atrocious. The sounds Babadook made (not the spoken part) was nothing but Sound Ideas samples. Anyone who has played Doom and watched this movie will have noticed this.

Also...

ojoTgHK.jpg

babadook-scream.png

babadook8.png

I know I'll probably go to hell for saying this... but man, that kid looks fucking weird and is fucking annoying.

...gawd.

see, i actually thought that was annoying too. it's because as the movie progressed, it made sense, and i started thinking "you know what? if you weren't so annoying... you'd be useless in this movie. scream kid!!!"

The-Babadook-Poster.jpg

The Babadook started out great. Then at one point it fell on its ass and couldn't get back up.

I know it's an independent movie and all but the sound design was fucking atrocious. The sounds Babadook made (not the spoken part) was nothing but Sound Ideas samples. Anyone who has played Doom and watched this movie will have noticed this.

Also...

ojoTgHK.jpg

babadook-scream.png

babadook8.png

I know I'll probably go to hell for saying this... but man, that kid looks fucking weird and is fucking annoying.

...gawd.

yeah, i thought this was a total disappointment. the script was like some one tried to combine a ghost story with the "repression" chapter in a pop psychology book. in addition to the cheesy stock sounds there was no detail that wasn't over-stated: everything in the house painted grey/blue (so sad ;_;); her face and hands covered in soot when she appears at the police station after...uh, burning something on the grill lol; etc.

when she confronts the babadook -- who looks like the shadow of edward scissor hands wearing a top hat -- and yells "get outta my house" or whatever my wife and i burst out laughing. the whole thing was exceedingly cheesy and the story was ridiculously cheap imo i mean, the husband died driving to the hospital where she was giving birth to the kid? and she keeps all of his things locked up in the basement? and then the babadook lives in the basement with the memories of the dead husband and the story resolves when she finally confronts her fears? flol.

overall the non-babadook sound design was cool but the best part of the movie was the design of the book.

in other news...i watched "purple noon" the other day which i thoroughly enjoyed. the scene when ripley is first alone on the boat (i won't give away spoilers) is really incredible. the intensity of the wind, the lack of any music, the length of the scene, the haphazard rhythm of the whole thing...that was truly awesome. a few other striking and unique scenes of that nature throughout. a lovely film. plus how can one not have a hardon for how beautiful the whole thing is?

somewhat strange that the guy who plays greenleaf actually looks quite a bit like jude law who played the same character in the much shittier matt damon version.