mank-default-1241728.jpeg?auto=webp

really enjoyed this, despite it feeling slightly uneven as the conclusion seemed rushed and the cinematography gets soft as the longer it plays.

still, the beginning is so tightly written, edited and directed it's a masterclass unto itself.

ok i watched tenet again to try to understand it and... i kind of wish nolan sat on it for a year at least and did some rewrites. it's kind of a mess. it was a cool attempt but i don't think he gets away with making it so dense and difficult to follow, because there are so many logical issues.

Edited by very honest

Some recent notable things:
Barton Fink (1990) - So good. One of their best. Definitely going on a Coen Bros. bender this week.

Zappa (2020) - Well done documentary, recommended even for those who are not fans of his music.

Son of Saul (2015) - Horrific and visceral descent into a concentration camp, but in a respectful way, I felt.

Citizen Kane (1941) - I wasn't blown away but can definitely see the appeal. Ready to dive into the world of Orson Welles now.

Mank (2020) - Brutally boring. Dogshit script, imo. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

Some recent notable things:
Barton Fink (1990) - So good. One of their best. Definitely going on a Coen Bros. bender this week.

Citizen Kane (1941) - I wasn't blown away but can definitely see the appeal. Ready to dive into the world of Orson Welles now.

love Barton!

Stand out Orson flicks for me are Touch of Evil and F is for Fake. Also really loved the Netflix docu they did called 'They'll Love Me When I'm Dead.' 

• Like 1

Tenet - absolutely unintelligible without subtitles on, fucking Nolan. Another James Bond film with an X-Files plot.

The Christmas Chronicles 1&2 - bit of a family night so we watched both. Kurt Russell was way funnier in the first one, being his trademark asshole 80s self. Part 2 was tons of green screen & CG due to COVID, but it’s nice to see Kurt & Goldie together again onscreen.

Holidate - this is what Chris Columbus has been reduced to, similar to Zemeckis; crappy streaming movies. Some funny R-rated jokes, but we were rolling our eyes almost as much as Emma Roberts.

Godmothered - the last holiday film, thankfully. Basically Elf with a female lead, really bad.

The Godfather Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone - I pretty much just wanted to see how Coppola changed the ending, Michael doesn’t do the lameass play dead falling off a chair, instead holding a photo of his daughter and sobbing. (the “death” of his soul) wa wa waaaa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, iococoi said:

Fear-X (2003)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289944/

me likey ..refn dir.,turturro lead, eno/schwalm ost, some jacob's ladder moments..

end credits:

Funny that Barton Fink and this are mentioned together. The use of fire in both is so similar. Linked by Mr Turturro.