IGNORED

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

cear

Guest zaphod

well i wanted to, but i've already spent many late nights disposing of a number of girls near highway overpasses for saying "electronica" or "owtekree". i once strangled a girl with her own dreadlocks for calling future sound of london "psybient". believe me though, i had a moment where i imagined smashing my "friend" in the face a la bill paxton in true lies.

the fact that people actually like this makes me want to slit my wrists

what a extreme reaction

edit: just took a quick listen, pretty boring. wrists unslit over here.

I completely understand why people would like it. It's pleasant. It's also dull and not even close to novel but that doesn't give me the right to judge others for liking it. I dunno, I find the casual limited listening habits of most people lame but I don't care and certainly don't get angry over it. I would of felt like Vamos as a 19 or 20 year old, but not now. I was needlessly pissy and cynical then.

it's not so much the actual music itself, which is shitty but whatever, but it's kinda that covering a disco single from a famous band from an album THAT HASN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET really just drives home the cash/internet buzz grab aspect. "Oh, let's just cover this when the song is really hot in the charts so people will listen to us." that kind of smarmy smug business move is really irritating to me. I'm doubly irritated by limpdick indie covers of dance tracks where they actually remove the most interesting part: the rhythm!! much like that retarded cover of heartbeats. all in the name of "emotional" i guess... I love that, like it's impossible to be emotional and reflective when you're dancing or have any sort of syncopated beat.

also i'm 21 so by your rules i'm allowed to be needlessly pissy and cynical so THERE!

Yes, you indeed are! And yeah I must stress my lack of anger is from the futility of expressing it. As I intitially said, I expect to hear this is a lame twee-ish advertisement. There are cool and novel covers of songs sometimes, but I agree, this just screams of someone cashing in on an opportunity for attention and short-lived famed. At least I can take comfort that it's mostly harmless and will be forgotten about. I highly doubt even the most superficial fans of say, those ironic covers of Gnarls Barkley and Justin Timberlake are remember the songs and still listen to them. This kind of music is loved then forgotten, residing quietly in lost iTunes library folders.

Edited by joshuatx

I actually prefer that Daughter cover to the original.

I can't stand the original.... yawn worthy chart pop fodder.

Hoping for better things from the rest of the album.

Guest zaphod

that daughter version is bumming me out. leave it to middle of the road indie songwriters to drain the fun out of pop music and make it all earnest and serious.. i can see a bunch of pissy eyed bearded students swaying softly to it, eyebrows furrowed as they contemplate if they're up all night for good fun, or to get some.

that daughter version is bumming me out. leave it to middle of the road indie songwriters to drain the fun out of pop music and make it all earnest and serious.. i can see a bunch of pissy eyed bearded students swaying softly to it, eyebrows furrowed as they contemplate if they're up all night for good fun, or to get some.

...but that kind of music and those kind of musicians have existed just as long as pop music itself - it's not worth the time to hate on.

You know how many shitty and lameass covers were pressed onto 45rpm records in the 50s and 60s for quick money? And not only that, but often such covers were made by white artists covering R&B, rock, and soul songs tamed down for white audiences.

Case in point, the Pat Boone version of "Tutti Frutti" charted better than Little Richard's.

Compared to many far more tasteless and gimmicky covers, I am militantly indifferent to the Daughter version of a Daft Punk song I was fairly apathetic toward to begin with.

dude i don't need a history lesson lol

can i just hate something?

yes, of course, whether it's Daughter or Amanda Palmer, or pre-meta discussion Skrillex, everyone has that right

Is this album out yet so I can stop hearing everyone getting a hype boner for it everywhere I go?

Is this album out yet so I can stop hearing everyone getting a hype boner for it everywhere I go?

we're up all night to get lucky

she's up all night to get lucky

he's up all night to get lucky

I'm up all night to get lucky

we're up all night to get lucky

she's up all night to get lucky

he's up all night to get lucky

I'm up all night to get lucky