Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Alzado

hint: switch on the english translation subtitles for hilarity

"skin tumor house arrest"

"brazilian hitachi" wtf lol

Edited by xy_politics

Anyone know nederlandish?

[youtubehd]SRsECrUIDZk[/youtubehd]

the discussion about the boc mystery is not very interesting. the older guy with the yellow shirt is a cool guy though. he had the best record shop in Amsterdam until about five or six years ago when the shop had to close because the rent was too high...

Anyone get some sci-fi video game associations with this one? I strangely found myself thinking of MDK and Mass Effect at different time. The album has a streak of epic space opera sounds to it, methinks.

Guest dylanmcknd

That video is amazing to watch when you don't know the language.

coincidence?

http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2013/06/02/ufo_sightings_have_doubled_in_canada_are_there_aliens_among_us.html

How to explain the stunning increase in UFO reports — all those humming, blinking, blinding lights — which have more than doubled in Canada in the last year?

boc fans

the discussion about the boc mystery is not very interesting. the older guy with the yellow shirt is a cool guy though. he had the best record shop in Amsterdam until about five or six years ago when the shop had to close because the rent was too high...

It'd be interesting to mention one of them had an interview session of a couple of hours with the brothers back when the campfire was released in Glasgow. Oddly, although they came from Edinburgh, they were completely oblivious to knowing places in Glasgow. The Dutch interviewer who had been in Glasgow a year before had to tell them which way to go for a nice place for the interview ( some local pub apparently).

About the brothers, Marcus made the impression of a snowboarder with lots of friends. In short, a snowboarding jock. Mike on the other hand, was the silent guy who apparently said he had been dealing with heavy depressions in the past.

Hearing their music, it sounds pretty obvious how big of an influence Mike's emotional state is on the music. A large part of it sounds like an almost desperate search for happiness in childhood memories, in the context of a deep depression, imo. And that's basically what the interviewer thought as well.

Personally, I think one of the reasons for the long period between releases might be this emotional side of the story. There's this discrepancy between the need for this depression to create music, but at the same time a depression might be one of the most unproductive emotional states possible. That's something a lot of people here could confirm.

Also, it makes those boc albums more awesome, imo. If people are able to use their depression to create albums like that... Wow.

Respect.

It'd be interesting to mention one of them had an interview session of a couple of hours with the brothers back when the campfire was released in Glasgow. Oddly, although they came from Edinburgh, they were completely oblivious to knowing places in Glasgow. The Dutch interviewer who had been in Glasgow a year before had to tell them which way to go for a nice place for the interview ( some local pub apparently).

About the brothers, Marcus made the impression of a snowboarder with lots of friends. In short, a snowboarding jock. Mike on the other hand, was the silent guy who apparently said he had been dealing with heavy depressions in the past.

Hearing their music, it sounds pretty obvious how big of an influence Mike's emotional state is on the music. A large part of it sounds like an almost desperate search for happiness in childhood memories, in the context of a deep depression, imo. And that's basically what the interviewer thought as well.

Personally, I think one of the reasons for the long period between releases might be this emotional side of the story. There's this discrepancy between the need for this depression to create music, but at the same time a depression might be one of the most unproductive emotional states possible. That's something a lot of people here could confirm.

Can you find / upload / scan that interview? I have not heard about it before or is he talking about it in the video? Edited by o00o

Good theory, makes sense to me. I was re-reading some BoC interviews on BoCpages the other day, and was surprised to read that Marcus was responsible for the melody on Everything You Do is a Balloon. I had always figured Mike to be the musical heart of the group, for some reason. I also believe I recall reading Marcus was responsible for Pontiac Dream, one of my favorites off of TCH. So maybe I haven't given the "snowboarding jock" enough credit.

Those who have been on watmm long enough may remember my guess that Mike fried his noggin on drugs around the time of Geogaddi, which led to the big shift between everything pre-Geogaddi and everything after. It's just an armchair hypothesis, but I do wonder (no judgment intended, as I've personally fried my brain on drugs and taken several years to recover). Mike has referred to going through a horrible year around that time. I feel like everything up to and including IABPOITC had a very unique feeling, that was not present as much in the later work (and even only partially present in Geogaddi). If you look at earlier pics of the group, Mike often has a kind of mischievous look on his face, but in the later pics he often looks kind of depressed or shell shocked. Could be reading too much into it, I guess.

What you said about depression rings true, it might give you insight, but can also rob motivation and productivity.

He talks about it, although it might be in the interview as well. I don't know if it's available online, but if a search on "oor boards canada" doesn't produce results I'm afraid I wont be of much help.

Fredd-E was from Belgium, I believe. And Aestethics is Dutch, so I'm sure they'll be able to help. I'm surprised they havent put it online already. Although i must admit to not having checked their site. I'm basically operating on the assumption that was your first place to look.

i want a fallout game where "Telepath" is a soundtrack of abandoned rocket base with this looped distorted countdown coming from speakers, and a "New Seeds" as the end titles music. :)

Here's a link to the interview (taken in glasgow in 2005) in Dutch:

http://bocpages.org/wiki/The_Last_Secret_of_Pop

Theres a section for the translation, but it's empty.

I might post some sort of summary later on, but it's a huge piece. So that's going to take a while.

Edited by goDel

Guest Aces

Good theory, makes sense to me. I was re-reading some BoC interviews on BoCpages the other day, and was surprised to read that Marcus was responsible for the melody on Everything You Do is a Balloon. I had always figured Mike to be the musical heart of the group, for some reason. I also believe I recall reading Marcus was responsible for Pontiac Dream, one of my favorites off of TCH. So maybe I haven't given the "snowboarding jock" enough credit.

Those who have been on watmm long enough may remember my guess that Mike fried his noggin on drugs around the time of Geogaddi, which led to the big shift between everything pre-Geogaddi and everything after. It's just an armchair hypothesis, but I do wonder (no judgment intended, as I've personally fried my brain on drugs and taken several years to recover). Mike has referred to going through a horrible year around that time. I feel like everything up to and including IABPOITC had a very unique feeling, that was not present as much in the later work (and even only partially present in Geogaddi). If you look at earlier pics of the group, Mike often has a kind of mischievous look on his face, but in the later pics he often looks kind of depressed or shell shocked. Could be reading too much into it, I guess.

What you said about depression rings true, it might give you insight, but can also rob motivation and productivity.

This is an interesting theory. I too fried my brain, it certainly changed me a lot. Depression is a bitch. I lost a couple of years of music making to it, not totally but I might as well have done.