IGNORED

Jackson & His Computer Band - Glow

Redruth

It's probably an attempt to gain more exposure, and let's face it, make some bloody money!

Can't blame them really, even if it is slightly depressing. ISAM tour was fucking amazing though, maybe this new Jackson stuff translates better with his live show?

thats what i wrote some pages ago..

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FUCK GOOD MIXING AND SOUND DESIGN IM ALL FOR SHITTY PRODUCTION THAT SOUNDS LIKE OLDER BOC ALBUMS WHICH IS SO UNNEXPECTED AND IDM BECAUSE ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS GOOD IS "COMMERCIAL SOUND".

smash was fucking phat much more and imo better sounding than this tho so i dont get what ur on about

I've listened to the album a number of time and I'm pleased with the it... a little disappointed it's not as much of a collage as Smash was.

For some reason I really love the 80s vibe of GI Jane. I would be curious to hear the background discussions of artist and labels about what makes the cut.

hudmo remix, quite like it, adds some characrer to the music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-5v4qjzdpfQ

from the comments, oh dear...

"0:00 - 0:13 Panting, he makes it through the door to the club, but can't see his girl

0:14 - 0:28 Starting to panic, he desperately pushes his way through the crowd

0:29 - 0:36 He thinks he glimpses her through the strobes and dives through

0:36 - 0:43 She's there! Radiant and grinning like a madman she pulls him close and

0:44+ THEY KISS

(1:13 - 1:21 Don't care, that was epic.)"

Don't know if anybody is interested in this, but I just bought a seriously overpriced copy of the German "Keyboards" magazine, containing a short article on Jackson and his recent "Glow" production.

It's just half a page worth of information, here is a short summary:

- What are your production tools?
"I have a Mac G5 running a Metric Halo ULN-2-Card. Ableton Live is the basic sequencer, I use virtual instruments made by Native Instruments (Kontakt 5 and others), Arturia and Sugar Bytes[...] NI Guitar Rig is often used for processing."

- What about vocal samples/layering?

"We had guest singers, but still produced sample blocks for further processing. A Roland VP-330 incl. vocoder is also mixed in."

- Any real acoustic instruments?
"Beside a couple of guitar and drum sounds on 'Blow', everything is virtual. On 'More', some basslines were manually played."

- The Computerband live?
"Ableton Live is the basis to control samples, instruments, effects, tracks and controllers organised by Max for Live. The open possibilities of configuration using Max proves to be very suitable for me and my music."

- Which controllers do you use in the setup?

"It will only be one particular type: the Soundplane A made by Madrona Labs, used for all audio and visual tweaking."

http://madronalabs.com/hardware

Furthermore, it was said that "Glow" was mixed by Philippe Zdar in his Motorbass Studio, using a SSL G-Console and high-end outboard.

post-11804-0-75752800-1378462674_thumb.jpg

post-11804-0-01371700-1378462716_thumb.jpg

I am a tad troubled when really talented producers decide to start making chart-ranking attempting pop songs. Jackson's dive into Pitchfork friendly young hipster pop reminds me of Clark's direction post Turning Dragon

I am a tad troubled when really talented producers decide to start making chart-ranking attempting pop songs. Jackson's dive into Pitchfork friendly young hipster pop reminds me of Clark's direction post Turning Dragon

yeah this is true and it always lacks in the pop. ends up being in a grey zone and characterless, this album lacks the attitude of smash (but i still like arp & vista & think they do the pop well!).

Archived