IGNORED

Death Grips broke up lol

LimpyLoo

Lol just checked out Death Grips. It's not my thing but I've heard a lot worse.

Turns out I was thinking of some other group else this entire time.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I had a feeling this would happen. That, coupled with the fact that I don't really like Soundgarden, caused me not to buy the tickets. .... But I still haven't seen NIN live, so I need to make that happen one day.

08pare.1-500.jpg

that looks a little sacrcastic heh

i'd love 2 see NIN live once

wow

Yeah, I had a feeling this would happen. That, coupled with the fact that I don't really like Soundgarden, caused me not to buy the tickets. .... But I still haven't seen NIN live, so I need to make that happen one day.

08pare.1-500.jpg

Oh, thanks, John.

If I had the cash and made the effort to go to a show where NIN were the headliners and death grips opened, I'd leave after the DG... but that won't happen because they broke up and I don't have cash and I definately wouldn't have made the effort.

One thing I admire about Death Grips is that they're the last group I can think of that would really scare parents of teens. MY GOD YOUNG JOHNNY, WAT U LISTEN TO. Death Grips is legitimately scary, as well as interesting, well-produced, and innovative. Still found it hard to listen to a whole song at once, maybe because I felt like I was going insane. You have to respect them if only for being so polarizing.

Edit: NIN live is totally worth it, those guys know how to put on a good show and make it sound great. At least if you like the music (I do)

One thing I admire about Death Grips is that they're the last group I can think of that would really scare parents of teens. MY GOD YOUNG JOHNNY, WAT U LISTEN TO. Death Grips is legitimately scary, as well as interesting, well-produced, and innovative. Still found it hard to listen to a whole song at once, maybe because I felt like I was going insane. You have to respect them if only for being so polarizing.

Edit: NIN live is totally worth it, those guys know how to put on a good show and make it sound great. At least if you like the music (I do)

I can agree with the scary part. That would weird many parents and such out. Interesting, innovative, sure, definitely. Well-produced? Now that...lol. I dunno about all that. They put time into Exmilitary but after that their production quality began to become very haphazard. Purposefully so; I remember an interview with Zach Hill where he talked about how they deliberately didn't waste their time getting everything sounding right, recording vocals on iPhones and shit like that. They wanted to keep it 'spontaneous and raw' or whatever he said, which was great in ways, but the end product is so wild that it has a sort of new-punk feel (that sort of shit is the new 4-track garage demo I guess).

No matter, sometimes it works, sometimes it didn't. Government Plates is great front to back. Still not really feeling niggas on the moon but maybe the jenny death will be better when it comes out.

Yeah, I'm sort of surprised to hear so many people comment on how well produced their music is. It's compressed to shit and doesn't sound particularly labored over, but a lot of it is still good in spite of that, and much of it is more interesting because of it... but I think it's been to the music's detriment since NLDW. That album was just rough enough to compliment their aesthetic, but it got kind of ridiculous after that.

I still think that TMS and Exmilitary were by far their best works. I wish someone was still making stuff like Exmilitary. I haven't heard anything like it before or since.

Yeah I have only listened to exmilitary all the way through, so I can't comment on later production. My b guys

Things I (think I) know about Death Grips:

-They cancelled a show in my town.

-They had an erect penis on their album cover.

-They have broken up.

Things I (think I) know about Death Grips:

-They cancelled a show in my town.

-They had an erect penis on their album cover.

-They have broken up.

Yeah, I'm ~90% sure one of their albums had a penis for the cover. Not completely certain.

08pare.1-500.jpg

that looks a little sacrcastic heh

i'd love 2 see NIN live once

wow

lol at 01:04 "assembling the something in the something in the someting" *. The death grips of the 90's. ;-p

* - i could loop that bit for days for the lols. something in the something in the something, thing something something in the something some thing assemble something in the something in the something. Must have been to ikea when he wrote that line. (or doesn't give a fuck cause you guys will just buy whatever he assembles in the something in the something in the something.)

Just listened to NOTM for a second time, and I must say, using Bjork's chopped up vocals as drum triggers is a pretty random, bizarre and great idea. I love how they stretched the concept for a whole album as opposed to a track or two (yeah, i know it's supposed to be the first half of a double album, but they've released it separately so... it's its own thing).

Mods, feel free to put this in the corresponding album thread, but I'm cool with it staying here if you are.

LOL this thread is like a magnet for dickheads

SO ALLOW ME TO CONTRIBUTE

Only just discovered Death Grips. The Money Store is more or less perfect for me, just a grab bag of disparate ideas that somehow come together cohesively. MC Ride feels like Carl Crack reincarnated on some tracks, especially I've Seen Footage.

Hip hop is a genre that I adore when somebody gets it right, but has so much shit in there. The Money Store gets it totally right, Exmilitary is good too, the later albums I don't really care about.

Klobjob have you considered killing yourself? Because I'd highly recommend it.

did they actually collab with bjork or just sample her vox from other tracks? never been too sure about that.

as for the production, I think i find it interesting because their idea of what can be used in a track is at odds with what should work on paper. I feel the same way about actress, dude is able to make all these weird samples fit into a catchy song that can make you dance.

I imagine her phoning them up to collab on something, them requesting vocal samples, and then Zach loading them up into the electronic kit he's using. Either that or adding them with something like drumagog later. I doubt they were hanging in the studio together. Re: production - have you heard Zach Hill solo stuff? He uses a similar approach to the production on those albums.

Hesitation Marks was a great album

I agree.

did they actually collab with bjork or just sample her vox from other tracks? never been too sure about that.

They remixed a song for Bjork and I think that these stems for remix landed on Niggas on the moon

Archived