IGNORED

Flying Lotus - You're Dead!

Guest bitroast

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the singing really twists my tits. plus the fucking demon laughs n evil lyrics are not my thing. the harmonies in basically all the tracks sort of just meander around, the whole vibe is just manic and confused

Just reading that account of Thundercat popping over - only to then jet - felt awkward.

I thought the whole article was awkward. It had a pretty condescending tone toward flylo...made him out to be a childlike recluse who can`t seem to figure out why he`s not the cool kid his music dictates he should be.

I dunno...I can only imagine how weird it must be to have some interviewer show up for a few days and ask why don`t we go to see this show`` ``why don`t we go here blah blah blah`` and you have to go along with it for good press...Maybe why aphex says he lives in a tank lol

Decent article / interview. Had no idea he interned at stones throw. Just reading that account of Thundercat popping over - only to then jet - felt awkward. I get the whole substance addiction/abuse thing but beyond that everything else seems like good ol' FWP Steve. So you keep moving into nicer pads after each album, ego massages all up in the club, hookups from dr. dre, and fucking HERBIE HANCOCK on your album; but no beats on the records of these pitchfork-approved up & coming mcs? cry me a river.

Much much more than a "pitchfork-approved up & coming mc" just FYI.

So I heard the album for the first time last night, through the Boiler Room stream with the animation with it. I was really digging it in combination with the video and it made me consider buying the album anyway, so I wonder if they will release the audio-video together in some way?

P.S. - the video / album is still looping here: http://boilerroom.tv/session/day-of-youre-dead/

definatly get it when you got some cash to spend herr jan, the album is excellent and he's an artist worthy to support!

Yeah, listening to that Boiler Room stream now again and I'm really into it again. I rarely replay his albums though, except for L.A. and a handful of one-off tracks. Still I have every FlyLo album so far and there are some stellar moments on this, so... *ordering*

That said, I am getting really fed up with Thundercat's involvement.

Guest bitroast

definatly get it when you got some cash to spend herr jan, the album is excellent and he's an artist worthy to support!

agreed!! purchased the record (was on sale yesterday in aus!) and it's a great listen.

packaging is nice and shiny as well, rich colours and bits of silver, black and white track by track artwork is included as well.

I really like the pacing and flow of the record.

cosmogramma is great but pretty high energy and demanding. same goes for until the quiet comes but in opposite direction, ie. little energy.

this album has both but also a great flow from the energetic through to the calm and ambient.

it sort of gives his previous albums a bit more context as well. makes me wanna jump back and listen to the albums I thought I was sick of..

the record didn't come with digital or cd. bit lame considering its a bit of a standard these days but whatever..

recommended!

Guest englishbob

Really strange record. Will take a few more plays. Its almost "beatless", bar about 3 or 4 tracks. Glad I didn't plump for the boxset, as there is hardly any vocals on this anyway.

Its certainly a progression in the FlyLo sound, although I don't think the next record will be anything like this.

I'm going to the Roundhouse (Camden) gig in November which proclaims "live band", which I am slightly concerned about. Yes it will be good, but I want some fucked up beats and the FlyLo light show too, not just a jazz gig!

The vinyl is mastered well, more rounded than his others, they where mastered very hot indeed (loud!). Regarding the brickwalling comments, its part of the FlyLo sound, I don't think anything he has done has sounded "clean", and this album is no exception.

I still think Cosmogramma is the peak, but I am confident he will make one better in the future,

post-16912-0-93835000-1412430944_thumb.jpg

Guest bitroast

in regards to Never Catch Me, is stupid rigid 4/4 clapping a 'thing' in hip hop?? or is it a flying lotus sound??

Guest englishbob

in regards to Never Catch Me, is stupid rigid 4/4 clapping a 'thing' in hip hop?? or is it a flying lotus sound??

Not, its his sound. It was in "Putty Boy Strut", mostly to other annoyance on the last LP

The sound is distorted, unpleasant to listen. Not a big loss though, listened to album just because Kendrick is on it.

Common complaint with his sound, and therefore his choice. Some might confuse it with brickwalling, but even since "Los Angeles" its been like that.

Guest englishbob

I've listened to this a few times over the weekend now to properly sum it up.

Its a stoner record for sure. Its too short (39 minutes) to be truely satisfying, I would of liked some extensions to some of the tracks, having a track like "FKN Dead" just start to warm up and then finish within 40 seconds seems daft to me.

I have always been really impressed with the way he edits his material of all the fat, but I think this album takes it a little to the extreme. The music feels a lot loose-r on this album, yet they are over before the begin mosf of the time.

But there is some really good stuff on this album. However "Descent into Madness" and "The boys that died in their sleep" are terrible. They might of survived critisism if they weren't back-to-back, making you wish that, on the next album, he doesn't asked Thundercat to sing again. Given that just about any track that was on the give-away "drafts+loops" download where better than these two is a bit of a crime.

Nevertheless, recommended listening! :music:

Guest bitroast

Not, its his sound. It was in "Putty Boy Strut", mostly to other annoyance on the last LP

thanks for the answer:)

it was a pretty dumb simple question. the clapping stands out to me so much in these tracks and i know nothing about hip hop/pop music so figured i'd just ask!

Archived