IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

btw all this talk pushed me over the edge, just paid way too much for the Japan release...hope you're happy with yourselves

ps. those mixes are hot

Guest xend0156

Listening to this album on repeat with quality headphones has really improved my alone time. I am loving CIRCLONT14 (shrymoming mix). Super positive and alert is how I feel, great for doing math.

The album has the classic Aphex sound but wow that Japanese bonus track is really futuristic =)

Love this album with good headphones! :music:

I really love the bonus track, sounds very futuristic indeed. Can't believe I even doubted if I shoud get the japan version or not :fail: .

Haven't fed up with the album. Loving it both ways: with headphones or speakers. I still get shivers when listening to Minipops and smile like an idiot when PAPAT kicks in. Have to confess though that I thought that Metz was little bit too long and there was nothing happening somewhere near the end. Now I'm surprised when the whole track seems to end before I even realize. It's as long as it should be. Amen

The album has the classic Aphex sound but wow that Japanese bonus track is really futuristic =)

Love this album with good headphones! :music:

Love the bonus too. It is the newest one on the album he says. I could go for more like that!

But what I can't understand is why RDJ is putting up those bpm info on each and every track on Syro.. I mean it hasn't been relevant in earlier album releases right? So why now?

Also the gear list oboy, he said in the interview it was not 100% and wrong in some tracks.. and no DAWS? come on ;)

But what I can't understand is why RDJ is putting up those bpm info on each and every track on Syro.. I mean it hasn't been relevant in earlier album releases right? So why now?

Also the gear list oboy, he said in the interview it was not 100% and wrong in some tracks.. and no DAWS? come on ;)

My theory on the BPMs is he is putting the track titles exactly as he has them organized himself. As he is into the DJing these days, I bet he puts the BPM on all his tracks to reference when mixing.

My theory on the BPMs is he is putting the track titles exactly as he has them organized himself. As he is into the DJing these days, I bet he puts the BPM on all his tracks to reference when mixing.

Yes, this. It's also part of the design, giving information about every detail, so you know exactly what you're getting, making the whole thing feel demystified, just the cold truth. Hated it when I first saw it, but I find it very interesting now, that it makes more sense to me.

Not exactly Syro related, but I was watching Eastbound & Down last night and noticed this.

2qkjcs6.jpg

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this before, but I thought it'd share it anyway.

woah, love eastbound & down never saw that, well spotted, 'kenny motherfucking apex'in powers'

the reason for that is because the black lady was one from the windowlickers video

Guest xend0156

Not exactly Syro related, but I was watching Eastbound & Down last night and noticed this.

2qkjcs6.jpg

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this before, but I thought it'd share it anyway.

woah, love eastbound & down never saw that, well spotted, 'kenny motherfucking apex'in powers'

the reason for that is because the black lady was one from the windowlickers video

Mind blown.

Xmas_eveT10 is a real grower. I find myself liking it a little more every time it comes on. Great driving music.

Mindblowing fact is mindblowing.

Also, according to my Last.fm, I've clocked 100 listens for XMAS_EVET10. It's a 10-and-a-half-minute track, which means I've spent 1,050 minutes listening to it since Syro came out. That equates to 17.5 hours. Kinda ridiculous when you realise that's just one song from an album that has only been out for a little over two months. So damn good though. I reckon I could have easily gone another few years without another sniff of Aphex acid, had Joyrex not played the tease game with us. :dry:

Guest murphythecat8

for me, the less I care and have expectation of Syro, the more I like it.

most people listen to syro with too much expectation. hes not a god, just a artist like everyone else. I ifind this album very rich in term of melodies

I like syro more and more

fav songs are definitely:

xmas

minipops

produck

papat

bonus track

those tracks are insanely good for me

NME listed it as #4, and in Rolling Stone it was something like #41. Goes to show how subjective music is.

Yeah there is no right or wrong answer, unless it's done on something like sales but that just shows popularity.

Which kinda makes all awards and charts rather pointless :)

I have to agree with the guys saying that Syro's mastering sucks. It is compressed and limited beyond a certain threshold where everything sounds lifeless, dull and boring - where rhythm and playfulness of dynamics disappear. Transients and peaks completely squashed - vacuum.

It feels as if this pure, sterile analog tracks sounded boring during production phase (which would not surprise me if it was the case) and mastering attempted to give them a bit of an excitement factor. It failed. One of the least interesting albums sound-design-wise I have heard in a long time. No dynamics, no fun.

It is sad, because up-tempo tracks from Drukqs were one of the best mix-wise I have ever heard in electronic music. Dynamic, yet powerful. And sound-desing was interesting too.

I have to agree with the guys saying that Syro's mastering sucks. It is compressed and limited beyond a certain threshold where everything sounds lifeless, dull and boring - where rhythm and playfulness of dynamics disappear. Transients and peaks completely squashed - vacuum.

It feels as if this pure, sterile analog tracks sounded boring during production phase (which would not surprise me if it was the case) and mastering attempted to give them a bit of an excitement factor. It failed. One of the least interesting albums sound-design-wise I have heard in a long time. No dynamics, no fun.

It is sad, because up-tempo tracks from Drukqs were one of the best mix-wise I have ever heard in electronic music. Dynamic, yet powerful. And sound-desing was interesting too.

What are you listening to the album on that is giving you the impression the mastering sucks?

My experience is completely opposite.

Edit: in case my question was unclear, what is your method of playback? IE headphones, large system, small monitors etc.

Sounds great off my system.

Edited by StephenG