IGNORED

Syro period interviews

Boris de Vries

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No problems guys, worked fine in between work, was actually fun to do as well :) I hope there aren't too many mistakes / weird sentences!

So, I don't want to read this whole thread. Are there any full interviews published yet other than Rolling Stone?

Just check the OP instead, I'm editing that one with links to every Syro interview whenever it's posted.

Thanks again Jan the Man!

Would it be cool to get this on a pastebin, pur-lease...? :emb:

Is that sort of a pinned thread but then for the entire internet?

Guest jasondonervan

Thanks again Jan the Man!

Would it be cool to get this on a pastebin, pur-lease...? :emb:

Is that sort of a pinned thread but then for the entire internet?

Yessir, nice and simple: pastebin.com

You don't need an account but you won't be able to edit once posted.

nice read herr jan

maybe too literal translation at times tho, i assume "wise nose" was translated from wijsneus ;p

lol, you got it :emotawesomepm9: I forgot to edit that one, I assumed it meant the same in English. I tried to keep it as true as possible as to what Aphex told so therefore you get a few literal translations, but yeah, it was of course translated from English to Dutch and now English again. Would be fun to hear the recording of the interview compared to what I wrote!

Pastebin coming up!

And swantonist, read the r welcome!

Thank Koen Poolman / OOR for the great revealing interview though :)!

It's a bit sad to see how Grant and Richard went about that LP deal. I agree that it would've gotten him so much more cash if he'd openly spoke about it, but on the other hand, he didn't want that (not typically Rephlex fashion so I can see where Grant's coming from) so it's weird Richard is putting it out in the open like this.

I was hoping the Kickstarter money was to keep the cashflow of Rephlex going (in other words, more releases), but alas... It was the least we could do though! I owe Grant for a huuge part of my taste in music.

The Vince Clark bit from Rock School mentioned in the article.

I was hoping someone would post that! Thanks!

Jesus i'm getting very fucking emotional with all tbis family/divorce/kids talk as i'm in the same boat as RDJ was - with a seperation looming and 2 kids, and it being hard to talk to family about it and i'm living in the country..

.....AND the fucking gorgeous music.

It kind of feels like the world is different now with RDJ speaking from the heart....it's m e n tal

Thanks, fantastic interview! The translation sounded pretty smooth to me. The bit about figuring out how to pitch feedback through a parametric EQ was especially interesting --I'll have to scout out that performance as I've only seen the swinging piano portion. I remember discovering how pitching stuff with delay works and feeling like a scientist, but the feedback/EQ thing sounds like a far more complex problem to figure out on your own. I wonder what else his idea notebook contains.

Guest jasondonervan

On the swinging piano:

‘It sounded incredible. I wasn’t sure how it was going to sound. I was hoping for a Doppler effect in the sound, because of the swinging piano. The pitch really went everywhere, especially if you were standing close. The composition was chosen perfectly; for the best results you need long chords. Only then do you really hear the notes being bent. On the stage it was just like all the notes were coming at you and passing each other in different speeds: first the high notes, then the low ones. You could almost see them flying through the air. It was mental.’

I felt privileged enough to be there on the night, and Richard's description nails how it played out... probably one of the most tangible moments I've had when experiencing live music. A shame that the recording on the night wasn't up to scratch for inclusion on Syro, but then I think it would always play second fiddle to the experience of hearing it live. Having a version where he plays it at home seems more appropriate, somehow. I can't wait to hear it round off the album.

Thanks, fantastic interview! The translation sounded pretty smooth to me. The bit about figuring out how to pitch feedback through a parametric EQ was especially interesting --I'll have to scout out that performance as I've only seen the swinging piano portion.

(Might want to turn down your speakers/phones, it's pretty loud)

Archived