IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

that picture on 24 triple d is from the Dyatlov Pass incident which is an extremely creepy read if you've never heard of it before. lots of conspiracy theories around it

Funny I just learned about this recently, because there is a video game in development about it.

afx could do with a pressing plant of his own for all the releasing he's doing

interesting to hear druqks was written in a tracker, i figured fo sho it would was burn drum samples w/ fx w/ kyma ahead of time into samples and the load up into cubase on a laptop

@user18081971: mostly written in Playerpro for the mac, my fave tracker, wish it would be brought back, had some amazing features and i helped code a bunch of top dsp fx for it

wow that's really fucking interesting. I actually started to entertain the idea it was done in a tracker (only in the past few months actually), it dawned on me that most of the synth sounds even we're just loaded in a sampler and pitched up/down. The ease of pitch shifts and spindowns, different drum hits pitch shifted. The overall mechanical feel of the album, and the fact that it was done with relatively low firepower laptop setup. (must have been around 98-2000??)

Zoë Blade says at 1:37:

@user18081971: Are there any plans to release MFM? You wrote a lot of fun, catchy tunes in those sessions that I still love to bits.

user18081971 says at 1:37:

@zoeblade: ah thnx zoe, yeah it is planned, gotta get it together very soon, like in a week as warp say if i dont give it to them by then finished it wont be out till next year as pressing plants are so busy

YUSSSSS....

I believes its whens i's sees its

Kind of surprises me that analord was recorded onto minidisc

very strange if it was, since minidsic has ATRAC compression similar to early attempts at encoding 'high quality' mp3s

bam!! inthesky up for download, we have all the tracks in full glory!!

Wohooooo, thanks a lot...

Zoë Blade says at 1:37:

@user18081971: Are there any plans to release MFM? You wrote a lot of fun, catchy tunes in those sessions that I still love to bits.

user18081971 says at 1:37:

@zoeblade: ah thnx zoe, yeah it is planned, gotta get it together very soon, like in a week as warp say if i dont give it to them by then finished it wont be out till next year as pressing plants are so busy

This is just great news... Warp needs to go at Warp speed or just hire a new pressing plant just for the rdj releases :diablo:

With the resurgence in vinyl, the few remaining pressing plants worldwide are struggling to keep up with demand - after they all downsized, and the equipment fell into disrepair, they thought vinyl would fade away...

if you do all the steps through different companies (jackets, mastering, plating, pressing) there isn't much of a wait at all (im in the US not in europe so this could account for the difference) if you find the right pressing plant. Maybe the one they use is just experiencing backups right now.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Kind of surprises me that analord was recorded onto minidisc

very strange if it was, since minidsic has ATRAC compression similar to early attempts at encoding 'high quality' mp3s

that's right, although I think it can do PCM w/ some recorders.

it would almost have to be, i mean Analord in general sounds CD quality to me id be surprised if it was recorded in a lossy format, but its possible. I know ATRAC also varies, sometimes its the equivalent of 192kbps, sometimes 256kpbs

just found this in a PCMag article about the death of minidisc

Hi-MD MiniDisc format introduced in 2004 allowed for lossless

the date lines up for Analord somewhat, but have no idea how popular this format was or if thats what richard was talking about

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Atrac sounded great, better than mp3 compression, Sony had invested a lot into it but decided to abandon it because they couldn't drag enough napster fiends from their fix.

Also what the hell is fogbeak? this ain't in any of the tracks on my computer, and i sat here for about 10 hours yesterday organising the ultimate set of playlists, which i'll post soon (in an hour), mainly using James' playlists.

they weren't super obscure, i had one around that time. digital field recorders weren't as common/cheap and it was a way to have portable player AND a hi-q recording device in one.

talking about Hi-MD? i've never seen one and now that i know they exist i'm curious about getting one. As much as its convient to have SD recording ability these days, there's something nice about just being able to save a bunch of minidiscs and know you're probably not going to accidentally erase them ( i think aphex mentioned this dilemma in the syrobonkers interview about having a phobia of accidentally deleting your own recordings, which ive done multiple times to my horror. )

Atrac sounded great, better than mp3 compression,

it depends on what iteration of it, the minidisc players I used to own were on par with a 256kbps variable bitrate, but in the sense that it sounded different from mp3 compression i would agree it generally sounds better.

I've seen so much praise for Pretend Analog Extmix 2b, but I'm gonna say it'd have to go into my 'Can't Get Into' selection.
What am I missing? Am I alone?

I've seen so much praise for Pretend Analog Extmix 2b, but I'm gonna say it'd have to go into my 'Can't Get Into' selection.

[youtubehd]M5QGkOGZubQ[/youtubehd]

I tend to play the tracks in my 2 hour /day commute to work in a cd in the car. So i never know the names of what i'm becoming familiar with sonically.

I guess this track is very "Aphexy"-lite hence its popularity - electro bass, burbling acid lines, subtle vocally synths. Its poppy and "manageable".

But it too is prob going in my "can't get into" list along with the other two tops ones, Organ 28 and 14 Cornish Spreek5b [st. Nectan S Glen Waterfalls Mix]

They all just seem a bit meh RELATIVELY speaking.

"Dance and Play" still not getting enough love btw!