IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

All is well, yesterday I finally got round to whittling all my favourite SC tracks down to a tidy greatest hits package. Zero flab. And finally downloaded them all to my Walkman from the MEGA link. One track though was giving me headache. But I managed to work it all out. And finally I now have my Aphex Soundcloud Greatest hits wherever I go ?

It was this track that was causing me a headache, such a tip-top track

• Like 1

Yeah lovely tune that ^

I also have an old 3 hour greatest hits playlist that I'm super attached to. The tracks are in chronological upload order, and the flow is miraculously perfect. Every time I chuck it on it feels like I'm listening to the greatest album never made.

I recently updated it by swapping out all the tracks that have since been mastered on the Bleepstore and elsewhere (Cheetah EP, Peel Sesh, Nina Kraviz comps, etc.) so at least a chunk of it sounds tastier now. 

• Like 1

Same, it's minus all bleepstore and 'elsewhere' tracks. Also minus one's which I kind of like when in a certain mood. This is just simply all killer and zero filler. And like you said sounds like the greatest album ever made. Or at least one of them.

Wish I could do the same with Analord and not be dicking about with YouTube. I hate the bog standard YouTube app on the iPhone. Ergh. But I guess it's better than nothing.

Edited by beer badger

Too right, I can't believe the store has been live for almost 3 years yet it still doesn't have Analord. It seems the perfect place to house all of Richard's Rephlex/out of print material. 

I wish he'd hire an archival assistant to fill that sucka up

3 hours ago, beer badger said:

Because I'm a dork ?

No, that's why you would use an iPhone.

Without wanting to derail the thread, which Walkman do you have, if you don't mind sharing? WM1A? (Sorry, just always interested in gear.)

On 6/2/2020 at 4:59 PM, Aural Unrest said:

I've got a Sony NW-A45. Very nice! 

Yeah, it's quality gear that's often a bit overlooked but really, really well-made. I recently dropped my WM1A while biking. Was going pretty fast too. It dropped from about waist-high and landed on the street, and there was hardly a scratch on it. Screen was completely intact too. But I think it chipped the asphalt a little, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IDEM said:

Yeah, it's quality gear that's often a bit overlooked but really, really well-made. I recently dropped my WM1A while biking. Was going pretty fast too. It dropped from about waist-high and landed on the street, and there was hardly a scratch on it. Screen was completely intact too. But I think it chipped the asphalt a little, lol.

LOL, wut? Who bikes with gear in their arms?

Not sure @ IDEM 

I'll get back to you tomorrow, I'm sat in a comfy chair listening to Panopticon with a gin & tonic and feel a bit like a happy sloth (can't move much but grinning)

Edited by beer badger

36 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

LOL, wut? Who bikes with gear in their arms?

drug dealer kids without a drivers licence?

Edited by beer badger

20 hours ago, Joyrex said:

:blush:... whoops.

Still - put it in a backpack or pocket!

I had it in my jacket pocket, which even has a zipper, but I hadn't closed it fully and must have pushed it out with the pedaling motion of my very muscular left leg. Anyway, the point being that Sony makes very well-built stuff.

The Walkman is....NWZA 15 A

It's a few years old now but is in perfect condition, had the one before that as well for many years. Always served me well.

Because of Spotify I don't use it as much now, but obviously it comes in handy for stuff that isn't there. Like Soundcloud dump or FLACS like Elseq (even though it's up on Spotify now) or ripping cds like Tool (even though it's up on Spotify now) or like King Crimson (even though it's up on Spotify now!!) . I know the quality isn't as good as FLACs but you know I'm the least lazy person I know and even I admit defeat with the user friendly Spotify. 

I've never used torrent sites because I'm wary of bugs, my computer confidence is low with stuff like that so I just avoid. And so the only way I can access Analord is youtube. Unless one of you bright sparks is going to enlighten me otherwise?

Edited by beer badger

2 hours ago, beer badger said:

The Walkman is....NWZA 15 A

It's a few years old now but is in perfect condition, had the one before that as well for many years. Always served me well.

Because of Spotify I don't use it as much now, but obviously it comes in handy for stuff that isn't there. Like Soundcloud dump or FLACS like Elseq (even though it's up on Spotify now) or ripping cds like Tool (even though it's up on Spotify now) or like King Crimson (even though it's up on Spotify now!!) . I know the quality isn't as good as FLACs but you know I'm the least lazy person I know and even I admit defeat with the user friendly Spotify. 

I've never used torrent sites because I'm wary of bugs, my computer confidence is low with stuff like that so I just avoid. And so the only way I can access Analord is youtube. Unless one of you bright sparks is going to enlighten me otherwise?

Yeah, I can see that. I've made it a personal rule not to listen to mp3's (well, except for a quick peek into some album or whatever. And except those mighty fine Aphex SC dump things, just to keep it OT). Not out of some sort of audiophile snobbery, but because I feel that it actually makes my life easier. Otherwise, the amount of stuff I have access to would just be overwhelming and start to stress me hard. One of my mates basically has everything out there on his hard disk, often before it's even released. Whenever I tell him what I like at any given moment, he's sure to have downloaded it weeks ago. Thing is, he never seems to actually listen to anything, lol. Every once in a while, I tell him what to check out, but I don't know if he ever does. I recently deleted thousands of files I had from him that had been sitting inside my own HDD for years, untouched.

I pretty much stopped using torrents after college, and  I'm better off for it IMO. But being in the process of digitizing my whole fucking music collection, I can appreciate why one would resort to even lossy streaming. I don"t think I'd be able to do it if I didn't work from home. But yeah, my own Analord vinyl rips sound so fucking good, even on that Walkman.

Also, I sometimes (very rarely) have Spotfy running in the background while cooking or when we have guests over who are into more mainstream stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IDEM said:

Yeah, I can see that. I've made it a personal rule not to listen to mp3's (well, except for a quick peek into some album or whatever. And except those mighty fine Aphex SC dump things, just to keep it OT). Not out of some sort of audiophile snobbery, but because I feel that it actually makes my life easier. Otherwise, the amount of stuff I have access to would just be overwhelming and start to stress me hard. One of my mates basically has everything out there on his hard disk, often before it's even released. Whenever I tell him what I like at any given moment, he's sure to have downloaded it weeks ago. Thing is, he never seems to actually listen to anything, lol. Every once in a while, I tell him what to check out, but I don't know if he ever does. I recently deleted thousands of files I had from him that had been sitting inside my own HDD for years, untouched.

I pretty much stopped using torrents after college, and  I'm better off for it IMO. But being in the process of digitizing my whole fucking music collection, I can appreciate why one would resort to even lossy streaming. I don"t think I'd be able to do it if I didn't work from home. But yeah, my own Analord vinyl rips sound so fucking good, even on that Walkman.

Also, I sometimes (very rarely) have Spotfy running in the background while cooking or when we have guests over who are into more mainstream stuff.

When you talk about your friend, I feel like you could be talking about me...but I still can 100% get down with what you say.

In fact, I am kind of envious.

My listening in the past 15 years is vastly different compared to before that...

Maybe it is time for a Walkman again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DucksOpinion said:

When you talk about your friend, I feel like you could be talking about me...but I still can 100% get down with what you say.

In fact, I am kind of envious.

My listening in the past 15 years is vastly different compared to before that...

Maybe it is time for a Walkman again.

There are surely people who handle this better than me, but yeah, I mean we're just getting flooded with stuff, don't we? When's the last time you've actually enjoyed a fucking album, and how long has it been in rotation? How much music from 2017 is still relevant or at least being fucking listened to in 2020? It's like everyone is just throwing shit at the walls and seeing what'll stick. Okay, I'm overdramatizing a bit, but still ... And that's just music. How many other things are constantly vying for our attention? It's fucking insane. So my strategy to cope with that is pretty much retreat to my inner sanctum. I know which artists mean the most to me, and I know that they're not gonna be surpassed every two weeks. In a sense, I could almost just listen to Autechre forever and not feel like I'm missing out on a lot, because I really love that shit, and it's diverse and plentiful enough to last me a lifetime.

I'm currently in the process of listening to my who knows how many thousand CD's and records, many for the first time in literally decades, some perhaps for the second time ever, and many, many for the last time, because I have no desire to keep them as they just haven't stood the test of time. I still have a collector's mindset and the urge to own the things I'm really into, but I get so much more selective and discerning. If I love it, I'll buy it, if I don't love,it, I don't need it in my life, which is too short for mediocre art, and I just don't have the time to keep up with shit anyway. I just buy a 1TB micro SD card or two, put my best tunes in FLAC on there, set it to shuffle and listen to FM IDEM all day, the best fucking radio station in the world as far as I'm concerned. All I need really.

Anyway, sorry everyone, didn't want to derail the thread. ?

• Like 3

^i am feeling this HARD. i don't think i've heard anything in the last three years that makes it into the ever-shrinking circle of albums i play regularly. one day i realised i didn't need the entire discography of an artist because i like one particular song. now i'm seriously considering going out and about with c90 mix tapes... sure would be a lot easier to find good new music if there wasn't so much shit-throwing these days.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, diatoms said:

Since October 2013

I've only listened to RDJ

no other music sounds alive to me

hope that helps, Ha:)

:aphexsign::aphexsign::aphexsign:

youre missing out on good music mate

Just now, thumbass said:
13 minutes ago, diatoms said:

Since October 2013

I've only listened to RDJ