IGNORED

Richard D James SoundCloud - A Gift To The Fans

Guest crowndicey

On 6/7/2020 at 10:59 PM, IDEM said:

There are surely people who handle this better than me, but yeah, I mean we're just getting flooded with stuff, don't we? When's the last time you've actually enjoyed a fucking album, and how long has it been in rotation? How much music from 2017 is still relevant or at least being fucking listened to in 2020? It's like everyone is just throwing shit at the walls and seeing what'll stick. Okay, I'm overdramatizing a bit, but still ... And that's just music. How many other things are constantly vying for our attention? It's fucking insane. So my strategy to cope with that is pretty much retreat to my inner sanctum. I know which artists mean the most to me, and I know that they're not gonna be surpassed every two weeks. In a sense, I could almost just listen to Autechre forever and not feel like I'm missing out on a lot, because I really love that shit, and it's diverse and plentiful enough to last me a lifetime.

I'm currently in the process of listening to my who knows how many thousand CD's and records, many for the first time in literally decades, some perhaps for the second time ever, and many, many for the last time, because I have no desire to keep them as they just haven't stood the test of time. I still have a collector's mindset and the urge to own the things I'm really into, but I get so much more selective and discerning. If I love it, I'll buy it, if I don't love,it, I don't need it in my life, which is too short for mediocre art, and I just don't have the time to keep up with shit anyway. I just buy a 1TB micro SD card or two, put my best tunes in FLAC on there, set it to shuffle and listen to FM IDEM all day, the best fucking radio station in the world as far as I'm concerned. All I need really.

Anyway, sorry everyone, didn't want to derail the thread. ?

Yeah, even though I probably buy as much music as ever, the size of my collection is still gradually shrinking over time. I always tell myself I'm only going to buy something I can guarantee I'll love, but obviously it doesn't work that way. Still, it happens quite often that I listen to an album I absolutely love and in the back of my mind I start thinking "why the fuck do I even own half the albums I do when I could just be listening to stuff like this?"

Sometimes a bit of variety is necessary, and I do turn to less-listened-to albums that I might not love as much just for a change, but I've long since stopped being completist with artists and buying things I like one or maybe two tracks on, 'classic' albums that I feel I should own, etc. I probably have enough music in my collection now to last me the rest of my life, although I'm always on the lookout for albums that are the same quality as my favourites, and they'll still come along.

There are a handful of albums from the last three years that I still listen to loads, but realistically, as time goes on, and we have larger and larger recorder collections and more experience, there's just less and less time to get into new records. There are loads I know I love that I just haven't given the time to, and I'd love to be able to really get lost in in the way I did when I was a teenager and discovering things for the first time.

• Like 3

or he's a troll the likes of which we've never seen 

i don't believe sharing vids that promote mistrust of vaccines is such a good idea though. unless that vid too is a troll and the sarcasm went over my head

damn they're all troll jedis aren't they

On 6/7/2020 at 10:59 PM, IDEM said:

There are surely people who handle this better than me, but yeah, I mean we're just getting flooded with stuff, don't we? When's the last time you've actually enjoyed a fucking album, and how long has it been in rotation? How much music from 2017 is still relevant or at least being fucking listened to in 2020? It's like everyone is just throwing shit at the walls and seeing what'll stick. Okay, I'm overdramatizing a bit, but still ... And that's just music. How many other things are constantly vying for our attention? It's fucking insane. So my strategy to cope with that is pretty much retreat to my inner sanctum. I know which artists mean the most to me, and I know that they're not gonna be surpassed every two weeks. In a sense, I could almost just listen to Autechre forever and not feel like I'm missing out on a lot, because I really love that shit, and it's diverse and plentiful enough to last me a lifetime.

I'm currently in the process of listening to my who knows how many thousand CD's and records, many for the first time in literally decades, some perhaps for the second time ever, and many, many for the last time, because I have no desire to keep them as they just haven't stood the test of time. I still have a collector's mindset and the urge to own the things I'm really into, but I get so much more selective and discerning. If I love it, I'll buy it, if I don't love,it, I don't need it in my life, which is too short for mediocre art, and I just don't have the time to keep up with shit anyway. I just buy a 1TB micro SD card or two, put my best tunes in FLAC on there, set it to shuffle and listen to FM IDEM all day, the best fucking radio station in the world as far as I'm concerned. All I need really.

Don't apologise IDEM this is very great post. 

I like you have adopted similar strategies in navigating the never ending mountain of music. I just focus most of my time on stuff I know I'm into (and the back catalogues of such) and then I spend a modicum of time trying to find new stuff. I'm very happy with this balance.

Edited by beer badger
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, hijexx said:

That feeling when you start to realize one of your musical idols might be an idiot.

Need to stop with the Bill Gates conspiracy bullshit, not really a good look.

It's a difficult one. Gaz Cobain is a bit of an anti-vaxxer conspiraloon as well and it's sometimes kind of painful to think about. Being skeptical is one thing, but automatically taking on everything that's 'anti' what we're told is just as bad as believing everything we're told.

• Like 1

also people could be drawn a video like that for different reasons.  for instance, some of it is critiquing the capitalist savior syndrome and conditions that produce billionaires in the first place, which.. fine, we probably should have more critical thinking towards.  the optimist in me would like to think he 'gets' that it might be bullshit but agrees with the anticapitalist message

but the tone and style of the video is clearly pushing conspiracy and misinformation with rhetorical/manipualtive means, which is pretty horrible

Edited by markedone

On 6/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, purlieu said:
On 6/8/2020 at 12:59 AM, IDEM said:

Yeah, even though I probably buy as much music as ever, the size of my collection is still gradually shrinking over time. I always tell myself I'm only going to buy something I can guarantee I'll love, but obviously it doesn't work that way. Still, it happens quite often that I listen to an album I absolutely love and in the back of my mind I start thinking "why the fuck do I even own half the albums I do when I could just be listening to stuff like this?"

Sometimes a bit of variety is necessary, and I do turn to less-listened-to albums that I might not love as much just for a change, but I've long since stopped being completist with artists and buying things I like one or maybe two tracks on, 'classic' albums that I feel I should own, etc. I probably have enough music in my collection now to last me the rest of my life, although I'm always on the lookout for albums that are the same quality as my favourites, and they'll still come along.

There are a handful of albums from the last three years that I still listen to loads, but realistically, as time goes on, and we have larger and larger recorder collections and more experience, there's just less and less time to get into new records. There are loads I know I love that I just haven't given the time to, and I'd love to be able to really get lost in in the way I did when I was a teenager and discovering things for the first time.

Strong +1 to both of you. I'm still little old skool, that I don't stream a one bit when doing my "casual listening". Sure, I'm using Youtube/Soundcloud/Mixcloud when trying to find some new stuff, but in regular basis use my precious little Sony/FiiO boxes (also a hobby of some sorts I guess). In home listening simply using my PC library or CD's (remember those?) and yep, it is surprisingly rephresing (:emotawesomepm9:) to listen to an actual album than just random tunes lumped together by some playlist generator or other user.

Like said, the amount of music available is exhausting. It is pretty frustrating to trying to paddle through it to find some real gem, which is like 0,001% of everything. But knowing that there is that little chance, that the next tune you're about to hit play button at, might be the best shit ever, keeps me wasting time to scroll through insane amount of tunes which I end up not liking. Especially since I'm so super picky, that it must meet my taste 100% for getting my seal of approval. That's why these RDJ or Jodey Kendrick dumps feel like a celestial blessing. Amen to that.

10 hours ago, hijexx said:

That feeling when you start to realize one of your musical idols might be an idiot.

Need to stop with the Bill Gates conspiracy bullshit, not really a good look.

Yeah, never been fond of these tin foil hat things. Just here for the choons. :mellow:

• Like 3

Just relistened to both of DJ Food’s Selected Aphex Works mixes of the dump tracks...after not really listening to these over the past couple years. What a ride these mixes are - really tastefully done with track selection and spoken word bits of him mixed in. 

• Like 5

Kevin 

8 hours ago, Extralife said:

Just relistened to both of DJ Food’s Selected Aphex Works mixes of the dump tracks...after not really listening to these over the past couple years. What a ride these mixes are - really tastefully done with track selection and spoken word bits of him mixed in. 

Kevin Foakes is still one of the best mix DJs around IMO, and doesn't get nearly enough credit for being the vinyl historian he is. The man is an encyclopedia of music / culture knowledge, and his vinyl collection is ungodly.

• Burger 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 

Im looking for track 10, 12 and 13 from the Joyrex Tape.

Track 1 is Fresher+Cleaner and track 3 is Step Up To Cornwall. He could not drop track 11 because he did it with Cylob he said.

What is the name of track 10, 12 and 13? Track 10 is superb Afx Jungle track. ?

Thanks! ?

hi! tracks 10, 11 and 12 are the tracks on this tape which were not released or uploaded to soundcloud. track 13, however, was uploaded as 25 rogphlange 1braiNflOSS2.

iirc, rdj responded to a request to upload track 10 - he basically said he had newer/updated versions of this track and that he would prefer to upload those. only time will tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cern said:

Fresher+Cleaner

Comment from user18081971 (RDJ) SoundCloud:

"**fresher and cleaner and very smooth and not at all dry** 1990 This was the fastest techno track in existence when i made it, jus sayin, time is the strangest thing"

Aphex Rave

:aphexsign:

I have taken out the tracks from the Soundcloud dump and even slowed them down like in the Joyrex tape haha! 

I only miss track 10, 11, 12 and 14 now.

Please Richard! I would be so happy if you upload em ?