IGNORED

Would You Be Willing To Pay For A Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks?

Joyrex

SoundCloud Tracks  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Pay For a Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks (see topic for details before answering)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (provide reasoning)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest beringelab

for true lossless versions of the soundcloud tracks (digital or CD) I would pay up to $100.

free music is not enough?
you are crazy

i think most of the people voted "yes" quickly without really thinking about this...

I also think it but what? We want all music made by Richard 'cause we love his music... And what does our artist live? It must be something to live and feed his family! It is proposed us. Some, especially the greedy, accept what is being proposed. If one have a reason to say no, it is his problem! ;-)

I think I will risk being disappointed. The goal is, I think, better than all those tracks (155 or 157 in all) is downloadable via Bandcamp (if Richard agrees) - of course - with a base price and ourselves we choose if we want to pay more. Next to us to make a compilation of the best tracks whether cd or vinyl, that gathers to agree. This allows us to memorate together all happened with the community WATMM...

Of course, I add that it would be good if these tracks are mixed... Otherwise, one of us is able to do it for all those who paid...

Of Course! Next you'll be polling us about whether or not breathing is good idea! :cat:

I think he should do a "Chosen Lords" kind of thing, where it's 'marketed' as HIS chosen tracks, that way you can avoid all the upset-ness of your favorite tracks not making the cut etc.

Personally I'd like a box set (though it's not a big deal at all, I liked the choices for Chosen Lords just fine), but it would probably be best to pick the best 'x' amount of tracks since selling 155 tracks doesn't seem feasible somehow.

I don't see why it would be a bad idea for him to 'cash in' on his own music. I don't mind at all to have good masters of some of the best tracks on here.

Add in some Bonus tracks, full titles and artwork and I'm there.

toplel

What ? I could still go for some Melodies from Mars.

How the fuck are you gonna ask for bonus tracks after he just gave away 150+ tracks for free? Like the Bonus tracks are gonna make you pony up, otherwise, nuh uh?

EDit: Sorry, I don't mean to come across as being rude - it's just...a bit cheeky to ask for more when he's already given so much, don't ya think?

Anyways, like I said - if he puts up mastered files for download, I'd cough up some cash. But I have no interest in some fetish physical object.

Add in some Bonus tracks, full titles and artwork and I'm there.

toplel

What ? I could still go for some Melodies from Mars.

How the fuck are you gonna ask for bonus tracks after he just gave away 150+ tracks for free? Like the Bonus tracks are gonna make you pony up, otherwise, nuh uh?

EDit: Sorry, I don't mean to come across as being rude - it's just...a bit cheeky to ask for more when he's already given so much, don't ya think?

Anyways, like I said - if he puts up mastered files for download, I'd cough up some cash. But I have no interest in some fetish physical object.

Not really. If he hadn't put the tracks up for free I would have gladly paid (up to some exorbitant amount) for them. Now that they've been given away for free, I'd need some kind of kicker to make me want to pay for what I've already got.

interesting points all around. here are my thoughts. after having had participated in all aspects of the CWLP "release", I wouldn't hesitate to participate in something tied to this considering its strong impact on me over the last couple weeks.

with respect to the "selected" aspect. two things, it'd obviously be more authentic to have richard compile the arrangement. but as previously stated, it's unlikely that he'd be thrilled about it. On the other hand, he does have a lot of statistics via soundcloud so it could make his job easier in that regard.

if WATMM were to determine a condensed compilation, it could be done similarly to how the baseball HOF voting is conducted; everyone eligible votes on every track and only those with a high enough percentile get through. although I don't see away around some people feeling disappointed.

all or nothing makes sense solely because we have access to all of them at the moment. what if that were different?

If done via WATMM, no I really doubt I would purchase it.

If done via Warp, obviously with some gracing of the project by Richard, I'd almost definitely purchase a CD/CD set.

What's the difference if we release versus WARP? It would still be a professionally-pressed CD or vinyl, etc.

@ goDel - I didn't take part in the CW thing. I wasn't on board with that either, you are correct. I agree w/ Massfreekid's comments a few pages ago, but I don't want to stir shit for no reason, so I've kept my comments brief enough to just answer the poll. This really isn't something I'd care to debate - my opinion is just that, not an argument, and this is pretty low on my list of things to dispute - just wanted to give my answer to JR's question.

O, no worries. That's fair. Good to know your being consistent with your principles. I was actually kinda worried (or, jumping the gun) there were some people with similar arguments like yours, but who completely jumped the boat on the kickstarter thingy.

I still think this should be another kickstarter thingy though. Seeing as there has only been less than 100 members actually putting up a vote in this thing. Which might have been less than the average amount of reading members while Richie was dumping his tracks on SC. That's just nog enough. I'm sure a kickstarter could be just as successful as the previous one, if Joyrex is able to make a good proposition. (but that might be my wishful thinking)

Come to think of it...@Joyrex, have you already been in contact with RDJ about this? Or is this just some kind of blimp you're raising to see the amount/type of response before venturing that road?

No, I haven't mentioned this to Richard yet - this is still in the gestation phase, getting feedback, ideas, etc. - once I feel there is something solid enough to propose to him, then I will see what he thinks - he has final say, of course - we're NOT going to do something unofficial.

Joyrex hinted about not doing this officially, but distributed by fans... ? Kind of weirds me out. Not sure what I feel if we become some sort of unreleased Aphex distribution centre.

Just let it go, let the pretties fly away.

No, you misunderstand - see above.

i think most of the people voted "yes" quickly without really thinking about this...

Yeah, I did this I think. I automatically assumed this would be an official release of some sort (a la Richard's comments in interviews of having plans to release his back catalogue on Warp and his comment on Soundcloud of "might re-do the most popular ones"). If this is going to be a CD box set with artwork designed by Joyrex that we can put CDRs that we've burned ourselves into then I'm not too keen on that personally. Was happy to chip in for the CW Kickstarter but I didn't go for the CD case for it. If we're talking about a nice official vinyl box though then hell yeah. Even lossless mastered files would be great too. The fact that we've all heard the music and have copies of the unmastered mp3s doesn't make releasing this properly pointless imo.

No, no CDRs - that was just for the CWLP since there was no physical release.

Only if the only thing we are paying for are production costs and no-one profits.

Richard released these tracks for free, so it would seem in very bad taste to cash in on this.

Nobody's talking about profiting from this - any excess income beyond the mastering and production costs would go to a given charity, a la Doctors Without Borders like with the CWLP.

I think everyone's opinions and responses are interesting - I think based on the reactions to a "best of" (which I suggested just because it's 155 tracks - we're talking about 10+ slabs of vinyl, or potentially 10+ CDs and packaging - which is not unheard of...), a full release might be nice, but honestly there are some tracks that may not be up to the standards of other tracks (and I am sure Richard would agree), so distilling it down to the very best would make more sense from a production standpoint as well as an affordability standpoint (on both the production and consumer side). Whether picked by Richard (using the playcounts from the SoundCloud data is an excellent idea, IMO) or as suggested voted on by the WATMM community would remain to be determined what would be in the best interests of the consumers.

Offering the tracks up on an MP3 player is far too expensive of a proposition, and frankly an annoyance - also, not really special, since again we already have the digital tracks - this is about creating something physical, and offering these tracks up in a higher quality as well providing a collectible item for the fans.

Offering the tracks up on an MP3 player is far too expensive of a proposition, and frankly an annoyance - also, not really special, since again we already have the digital tracks - this is about creating something physical, and offering these tracks up in a higher quality as well providing a collectible item for the fans.

This doesn't really make sense though. We already have the digital files, however, they are not mastered and they are not lossless. How is a custom flash drive with all the tracks going to be MORE expensive than 10+ pieces of vinyl??

Cost effective - check

higher quality - check (if lossless and remastered)

collectible - definitely! (an official custom flash drive with aphex logo or whatever would be pretty slick)

Don't see the downsides to this...

This doesn't really make sense though. We already have the digital files, however, they are not mastered and they are not lossless. How is a custom flash drive with all the tracks going to be MORE expensive than 10+ pieces of vinyl??

Cost effective - check

collectible - definitely! (an official custom flash drive with aphex logo or whatever would be pretty slick)

I quite like the sound of that personally. All the tracks and without being too unwieldy

Cost effective - check

I quite like the sound of that personally. All the tracks and without being too unwieldy

This! And flash drives aren't very expensive at all.

Perhaps in some kind of custom box, like an old dat case with Richard's hardwriting on it, echoing where the tracks came from. Or is that too cheesy/obvious?

Archived