IGNORED

Would You Be Willing To Pay For A Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks?

Joyrex

SoundCloud Tracks  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Pay For a Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks (see topic for details before answering)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (provide reasoning)

You recently wrote this in another thread

While Richard I am sure would appreciate the sentiment, if he wanted money for these tracks, he would have not given them away for free.

just out of curiosity do you have any idea of where the money might actually go? or are you just kicking around the idea at this point?

Most likely would cop something btw.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind a CD I suppose.

I do remember Rich saying 'i could remaster a few of the popular ones... but i rather be making new tracks'. And he thought about releasing a boxset before, but he couldn't be bothered. So idk, lets just be glad of all these free tracks and not demand anything more out of them, at the moment. I think he mostly just wants to dump them and not look back too much.

No, I would not. I find it in poor taste to "release" the music of someone who attempted to give it away; especially so to sell it. If RDJ intends to do this on his own terms, that's all well and good, but otherwise, no.

i think a "best of" (30 trx?) on vinyl/cd would fly, but i imagine many would be bummed when their favorite tracks don't make the cut. i would buy if enough of my favorite tracks made it.

releasing them all would be a massive undertaking and expense...$25k for just mastering. release medium would prb. have to be flash drive at this point. 15LP box would be rad, but also v. expensive. also would richard really want to create/oversee the tracklisting or approve the mastering? or just leave it to watmm?

also a few tracks prob wouldn't be officially released due to samples (joni, floyd. kraftwerk)

might be cool if warp remastered the related lp's and added chronologically appropriate remastered soundcloud tracks as bonus discs. although classics/saw are r&s.

Definitely would grab a definitive CD box set of this, a Chosen Loads, not so much, they'rd be too much missing. But in reality you have to consider the cost of putting a box set into production, the fancy packaging, etc. I don't know how these places do it.

No, I would not. I find it in poor taste to "release" the music of someone who attempted to give it away; especially so to sell it. If RDJ intends to do this on his own terms, that's all well and good, but otherwise, no.

what if the moneys go to charity

We're all enjoying immensely Richard's amazing "release" (insert dump, pro-dumpers) of unreleased material via SoundCloud, and making them available for download.

Some have even put together artwork and compiled them into collections, but being digital tracks, there's only so far something like that can go.

What if you could buy a "Best of" compilation, on a physical format(s), selected tracks, remastered, etc.?

Would you? If not, why not?

Of course, Richard would need to be willing to provide masters, and agree to it to begin with...

The mind reels at the possibilities...

- physical format on vinyl = absolutely

- split up into distinct eras or unreleased albums or ep with details, backstory or notes / kit list on each track = 100%

- mastering by a top notch mastering engineer

I do remember Rich saying 'i could remaster a few of the popular ones... but i rather be making new tracks'. And he thought about releasing a boxset before, but he couldn't be bothered. So idk, lets just be glad of all these free tracks and not demand anything more out of them, at the moment. I think he mostly just wants to dump them and not look back too much.

Pretty much this, although my vote is still on 'yes' :)

While Richard I am sure would appreciate the sentiment, if he wanted money for these tracks, he would have not given them away for free.

just out of curiosity do you have any idea of where the money might actually go? or are you just kicking around the idea at this point?

I think if the profits go to charity, Richard may be willing to do something like this, especially if his involvement is minimal, so he can focus on what he does best - making music like this!

Also, it's been suggested that the guy who mastered SRYO/CCAI take on the mastering duties, as he's familiar with Richard/his material.

That's just it - take away all the hard work involved in doing such a thing, and leave it to the fans.

Just spitballing ideas, gang - no discussion about this has occurred beyond this initial thread...

Who came up with the best compilation of the material so far? That guy who did the Raver's Friend folder's? OK, hard work over. Master it, stick in track 1 from AB6. Go to print.

We're all enjoying immensely Richard's amazing "release" (insert dump, pro-dumpers) of unreleased material via SoundCloud, and making them available for download.

Some have even put together artwork and compiled them into collections, but being digital tracks, there's only so far something like that can go.

What if you could buy a "Best of" compilation, on a physical format(s), selected tracks, remastered, etc.?

Would you? If not, why not?

Of course, Richard would need to be willing to provide masters, and agree to it to begin with...

The mind reels at the possibilities...

- physical format on vinyl = absolutely

- split up into distinct eras or unreleased albums or ep with details, backstory or notes / kit list on each track = 100%

- mastering by a top notch mastering engineer

what if the moneys go to charity

That's a nice idea. That said, I still stand by the last sentence of my original comment.

I'd love this.

I would absolutely pay for lossless copies of any of all of these tracks in any format, physical or not. If they are professionally or semi-professionally mastered then even better.

Less interested in the trappings of a physical item on a shelf, although I’m sure that could be awesome if done well. But the highest-quality version of the tracks possible? Yep, would buy

This.

But I have a hard time believing any compilation out of the soundclump will actually satisfy. Just remaster the entire dump from the originals and grab my money already. Heck, I'll buy two copies if it's going to a charity.

That's where WATMM would come in - we'd vote for the top [] tracks, and whatever makes the cut, work from that. The number of tracks would be dependent on what format(s) it would be released on, etc.

The whole point of a physical release would be the collectability of it - taking a digital thing, and making it real - souvenirs are best if they are attractive and can be displayed. Digital files on a hard disk are not, despite their convenience.

I think if the profits go to charity, Richard may be willing to do something like this, especially if his involvement is minimal, so he can focus on what he does best - making music like this!

Also, it's been suggested that the guy who mastered SRYO/CCAI take on the mastering duties, as he's familiar with Richard/his material.

That's just it - take away all the hard work involved in doing such a thing, and leave it to the fans.

Just spitballing ideas, gang - no discussion about this has occurred beyond this initial thread...

So you're thinking that fans who want to purchase something like a limited-run cd/vinyl box set, a best of comp, or mp3s/lossless files could all pitch in towards paying for the mastering and production of all this? If Richard would approve of this and the demand is there, I'd say that sounds pretty awesome. A pledge music campaign would be really cool, with all money exceeding the goal point going to a charity or cause of some sort. Although that's all probably easier said than done, especially considering the fact that he already handed it over to us for free. And then there's the added fact that this thing may be ongoing and would run the risk of becoming a bit too pricy for some people (self included).

So you're thinking that fans who want to purchase something like a limited-run cd/vinyl box set, a best of comp, or mp3s/lossless files could all pitch in towards paying for the mastering and production of all this? If Richard would approve of this and the demand is there, I'd say that sounds pretty awesome. A pledge music campaign would be really cool, with all money exceeding the goal point going to a charity or cause of some sort. Although that's all probably easier said than done, especially considering the fact that he already handed it over to us for free. And then there's the added fact that this thing may be ongoing and would run the risk of becoming a bit too pricy for some people (self included).

Essentially, yes - and yes, Richard (assuming he's done for now putting stuff out) would have to approve of this - we don't have the right to do it otherwise.

As for him stopping putting stuff up entirely... well, if he didn't, there could always be a "Volume 2"...

Archived