IGNORED

Would You Be Willing To Pay For A Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks?

Joyrex

SoundCloud Tracks  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Pay For a Physical Release of the SoundCloud Tracks (see topic for details before answering)?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends (provide reasoning)

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it'd depend. to what degree rich was involved, if lossless masters were used as the source (which would satisfy the part about his involvement, for me), if it were mastered, if the tracks on it were ones i really liked, if there were any exclusives (or even just one) that'd be a nice bonus.

for me it seems like he gave it away free for a reason, but i would've paid if that box set of this stuff, that they hinted at years ago, ever came out. if he (rich) decided to allow some kind of package with mastered (not from the mp3s) tracks on it, i'd prob get it. it obviously wouldn't have every track he upped on it, so it wouldn't really undo his gesture, i suppose.

Put me in the "all tracks on shuffle" camp. The most amazing albums appear out of the aether. The collection as a whole is just dope as hell and it works best when they're all in the same folder where they can mingle and interact. Any kind of artifical subdivision would just rob the thing of its holographic beauty -- one does not dissect gossamer.

"fly away babies, good luck!" is not what you say while physically releasing.

Yes it is. Unless you are a woman in which case you scream "exaiiiiiiii!". Then you sit back and wait for "tomorrow's harvest".

yes, only if its called Dick's big dump: best of.

I second this.

I'm really old school when it comes to music, so I would love a physical release of some tracks from the dump. A vinyl box-set would be a dream, but I would gladly pay for anything else, including a "Best of" on CD.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

i think most of the people voted "yes" quickly without really thinking about this...

Yeah, I did this I think. I automatically assumed this would be an official release of some sort (a la Richard's comments in interviews of having plans to release his back catalogue on Warp and his comment on Soundcloud of "might re-do the most popular ones"). If this is going to be a CD box set with artwork designed by Joyrex that we can put CDRs that we've burned ourselves into then I'm not too keen on that personally. Was happy to chip in for the CW Kickstarter but I didn't go for the CD case for it. If we're talking about a nice official vinyl box though then hell yeah. Even lossless mastered files would be great too. The fact that we've all heard the music and have copies of the unmastered mp3s doesn't make releasing this properly pointless imo.

i think most of the people voted "yes" quickly without really thinking about this...

Yeah, I did this I think. I automatically assumed this would be an official release of some sort (a la Richard's comments in interviews of having plans to release his back catalogue on Warp and his comment on Soundcloud of "might re-do the most popular ones").

yeah, me too.

then again i think this is a bit unfair as there is no true 100% yes / no irl ever. this is not rhetorical btw, i mean when you start thinking hard enough about any question you always end up with "yeah / no, depends..."

i don't think anyone is suggesting doing this without richard's consent...basically it'd be the same as the caustic window cd but much larger...the money would go to richard or a charity or both...and whilst i would love a vinyl boxset i don't think that would really be practicable...it'd be like 25 records or something and cost a bomb...would be awesome though don't get me wrong, but cassette or cd is probably much more realistic.

CD wise, i don't see the point, CD sound doesn't add anything better then what we already have, i'd even say it can be worst because we'll loose the low rate charm here

and last point which is really negative is as a fan boy i'd be upset to not have all the tunes on vinyl, i don't see the interest on making a top 20/30 or 40 it's so subjective,

if at least RDJ would make that top list, it'd make sense, if not, that would be complicated to make people pleased,

there are 155 (+2) fucking tunes, a fair half of them are amazing, the other half are REALLY good. arffff

i can see the furstration coming

sorry for being negative :(

Guest RupturedSouls

for me, a "best of" CD/vinyl feels a little tacky. Like the "Chosen Lords" CD - it was a nice compilation, but as i had all 11 vinyls and ripped them nicely, i could make my own playlists without the CD. The only interesting thing was that it sounded a little different (maybe mastered differently? Or just the difference between CD/Vinyl. Not sure).
Of course, if the chosen tracks were remastered, i would buy it, but for no more than £10.

Now... If there was some super deluxe box set with ALL the tracks - i'd freakin love to own one, and would waste a months salary on it :D haha.
I picture something like the Merzbox. that would be cool ;)

Another interesting point is that many of the Soundcloud Tracks are from possible releases already (eg. AB6) - and we've only got 2 or 3 tracks from each DAT - so, as a completist, i'd love to see an album released each week of each 'release'. So, start with the whole of DAT1, then DAT2, then AB6, MFM, etc.etc. but that would be mental :D

In all, i'm very happy with the free rough cuts on Soundcloud. Happier than ever with a musical release. If there is a physical release, i doubt the majority will buy it (as the trracks are now sitting on torrents) but for the diehard fans (watmmers hehe) something special would be phenominal. Like the Caustic Window Album. But it would have to be VERY special. Either everything and packaged nicely - or Richard's Selection of tracks, maybe with a booklet talking through them, how when where made, and why he picked those tracks. that would be something :)

I think the CWLP is an exception, because that was a notorious album that was on the verge of being released, a very different situation to the soundcloud dump. It should not be compared.

And I'm also afraid that, if we start doing this (especially unofficial), other people will try and do the same with the dump tracks. Scammers paradise...

Beyond consent the biggest problem posed is just the sheer abundance of material. Although having something physical would be nice for some, personally I think it's the possibility of having the tracks mastered that is most enticing. Considering there are 11+ hours of material to master here that doesn't sound like an easy feat, and the box sets are likely to be pretty costly. IF this did go through, it would be nice to have a few options. Sorting this all out does kind of sound like a nightmare though.

Archived