really nice mixture of almost all his previous styles so far, only just reached the end of track 2. the sound palette i could see would be annoying to some, it does have a modern squarepusher kinda sound to it but the end result is a lot more interesting and since it doesn't rely on percussion it's not squashed sounding, it has a nice spacious feel to it.
edit: (continues listening) so far this is probably the most detailed music I've heard from him, a lot of very subtle weird sound design layers going on and also touches of Oval that aren't just from his O era, sounds reminiscent of Ovalcommers in parts. a lot of nice physical modeling noise too, at first i thought he was just going to do guitar plucking stuff like in I Bite through it but I hear some nice far-out sounding bending going on, but so far i'm very impressed by his experimenting. Definitely the most exploratory sounds i've heard in a while. the only thing is I feel like im paying more attention to the little details and not being that into the main synth and other sounds taking up most of the mix, especially that very stabby rave sounding synth he keeps using.
edit2: cool use of talkbox, what the fuck is that one apple speech synth song that was used in the trailer for Edge of Tomorrow? one of these songs sounds a lot like that.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

ezra is like the logical progression from chrome country. i can see the oversteps comparisons with the mallet-esque fm sounds.

vocals on sticky drama remind me of james ferraro's bebetune$ stuff

animals is just immense.

wonderful progression from the last one.

On first listen, Ezra, I Bite Through It, and Animals are my favorites. Acoustic guitars on Ezra are the best thing on the whole album, was expecting more stuff like that throughout.

Edited by gmanyo

2nd half of Freaky Eyes probably my favorite bit on the album
opening/ending of No Good would have made a perfect background song in an episode of Breaking Bad, really catchy riff

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guys, I was fairly vocal in not liking r+7.

Do you guys think I should give this one a shot or is it along the same line?

give it another shot but i think if you don't like R+7 your chances of liking his are slim jesus

personally i find it very exciting and definatly will be buying this album

Edited by Ivan Ooze

give it another shot but i think if you don't like R+7 your chances of liking his are slim jesus

personally i find it very exciting and definatly will be buying this album

I'll give it a shot.

My main gripe with r+7 is I didn't really feel the tracks went anywhere.

I want to listen to a track develop for 3-10 minutes not flit all over the place like a kid with bad ADD on crack.

You know though, like anything sometimes it just doesn't click right away. With everyone praising this guys tracks so much there HAS to be something I'm missing (other than brain cells har har).

most awesome albums don't click right away stephG and reveil themself over time

maybe you should revist R+7, put it on when you have some friends over, could be your favorite album in a year, who knows :cat:

Guest bitroast

i mean. i love opn and r+7. gave this a listen and wasn't feeling it at all. reminds me of an edgier more emo hardcore metal version of that channel pressure album (ford + lopatin).

only real way to answer that question is just listen to it man.

not too fussed if this one doesn't click. can't win them all and i generally love his releases so i'm happy to keep paying attention :)

btw enjoying the shit out out of this laek, what a trips ball, thank a lot watmm hype whores :emotawesomepm9:

love that ratboygenius track with the eastern autechre vibes, also that rustie deathmetal track is a hit

album is friggin sick!!

this is pretty rad. wasn't a huge fan of 'i bite through it' alone but it works quite well in context of the album

Edited by xf

Feel sorry for Daniel.

It's a shame if you worked on something for months and then have it distributed for free.

Still, I think the whole three month cock tease was a stupid idea and is symptomatic of where media is now.

I think some of these artists should just do like Bowie did back a while ago, just suddenly release a new album with no hype.

At the end of the day, if your stuff is good, it will sell. You don't need a three month hype machine.

I wonder what Warp are thinking right now? That was probably going to be their biggest seller of the year. Not now, though.

Edited by fumi

It's a shame if you worked on something for months and then have it distributed for free.

without the leak it would be still distributed everywhere for free, just on the release date.

Yeah, I know. It's just.. seems like a lot of people probably had some whole set of promo plans and now that's just back-fired.

without the leak it would be still distributed everywhere for free, just on the release date.

Yeah, I know. It's just.. seems like a lot of people probably had some whole set of promo plans and now that's just back-fired.

as shit as this is for everybody involved - I hope Warp learn not to hype up an album this much for 3+ months again

edit: that said some of the recent touches were nice, like the MIDI files being released & fans adapting their own versions of it. be a shame if there was more of that sort of stuff planned

Edited by xf