i can see why artists don't like coming to a place like watmm where they might actually see brutally honest (as well as knowledgeable) opinions about their work. artists are very shielded these days in real life, everyone pats everyone on the back and acts like bros. phony as shit, but thats the way it is. we're still
not even at a basic honesty level with how ridiculous it is that Red bull Music academy even exists, people still bizarrely defend it all the time

must be extra intense though to be an artist watmm has painted a target on the back of , and we dont have to mention names (of people who may have had brazilian style ass implants). there are just those certain electronic musicians who get fucking hammered over here

Edited by John Ehrlichman

it's a corporate attempt to insert an energy drink brand into underground culture for no other reason than to sell energy drinks and increase brand awareness. For someone who is a fan of industrial music/throbbing gristle you should automatically understand why this type of corporate bullshit is bad, and ultimately not good for the health of a scene. The dishonesty part comes in when people seem to have a hard time facing the reality of the disingenuous intentions of corporations and instead say shit like 'whats wrong with it man they're giving artists a voice' 'well at least they pay people' 'they have good people working for them' 'they have good taste in electronic music' (makes me vom). a Red bull radio host cunt in [unnamed bigger local city] literally tried to steal energy from from a very vital dark electronic circle out in [unnamed smaller local city] (ingratiating himself, buddying up with djs, acting like bros, etc, and then vanishing) basically his crew tried to recreate something with a similar but dumber more watered down vibe in [unnamed bigger local city] (and the ticket prices are twice the price). Problem is since its 'successful' just like standup comedians who steal other people's material no one gives a fuck that its a ripoff of another smaller cooler collective. Red Bull has taught him well

edit: sorry redacted the cities because the piece of shit probably reads watmm

hey guys...i'm daniel lopatin.

hey daniel, i liked your AE reviews better than r+7

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Sorry, it was a bit of a drunken rant.

It could honestly be one of those things where years later it clicks for me and it's amazing (like Autechre did a few years back), but for the time being it's cringeworthy. From a sound design standpoint it's fairly cool, but I don't find the tracks cohesive or anything. Very ADD.

I'll refrain from commenting anything negative just for the sake of, sorry if I offended anyone.

Edit: the execution of what I've heard so far of this record and r+7 somehow sounds pretentious, that bothers me too. Like it's some kind of higher art project rather than just someone trying to make music... I don't know.

Edited by StephenG

It could honestly be one of those things where years later it clicks for me and it's amazing (like Autechre did a few years back), but for the time being it's cringeworthy. From a sound design standpoint it's fairly cool, but I don't find the tracks cohesive or anything. Very ADD.

I'll refrain from commenting anything negative just for the sake of, sorry if I offended anyone.

Edit: the execution of what I've heard so far of this record and r+7 somehow sounds pretentious, that bothers me too. Like it's some kind of higher art project rather than just someone trying to make music... I don't know.

for what it's worth, this happened to me. At one time, especially at the height of the r+7 hype I thought opn was totally overrated and sounded just bad and cheesy in a way I couldn't get on board with. somewhere down the line I gave replica a chance again which I ended up really liking, so I revisited his stuff and it just started to click. I thought Commissions II was especially really good, I think opn and autechre share a lot of similar qualities, mainly the way that they'll sort of drop in a single section or sound that totally makes the rest of an otherwise patience-trying song worth listening to. anyway - I'm really excited for the new album.

Edited by David Bowman

Lots of people have suggested I give replica a listen

Yeah, that's definitely a 'safe' beginners OPN album. If you can get past the super noisy intro (which actually works quite nicely as a comparison/segue to the next track desipte the fact I don't usually like noise artists) Returnal is grand too (was actually my first OPN purchase)

it's a corporate attempt to insert an energy drink brand into underground culture for no other reason than to sell energy drinks and increase brand awareness.

Is this a joke?

Edit: Apparently RBMA is actually owned by Red Bull. I was not aware that they were actually associated with one another. That is quite a dubious thing for an energy drink company to do.

Edited by drillkicker

it's a corporate attempt to insert an energy drink brand into underground culture for no other reason than to sell energy drinks and increase brand awareness. For someone who is a fan of industrial music/throbbing gristle you should automatically understand why this type of corporate bullshit is bad, and ultimately not good for the health of a scene.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/cosey-fanni-tutti-visceral-sounds

:dadjoke:

Apparently RBMA is actually owned by Red Bull. I was not aware that they were actually associated with one another.

Post of the year

flol

Edit: Apparently RBMA is actually owned by Red Bull.

You weren't aware Red Bull Music Academy was owned by Red Bull - Did you just think it was a complete coincidence that they both shared the same name and logo ?!

No you were right the first time, watmm is wrong. They will come to realise that in time, but never admit it, they'll be on the next hype train by then. Some people prefer the getting excited over something than the thing itself. They cream off the high it gives them to ride the wave up on the thing, underground hype train is the high they crave.

it's a corporate attempt to insert an energy drink brand into underground culture for no other reason than to sell energy drinks and increase brand awareness. For someone who is a fan of industrial music/throbbing gristle you should automatically understand why this type of corporate bullshit is bad, and ultimately not good for the health of a scene.

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/cosey-fanni-tutti-visceral-sounds

:dadjoke:

Apparently RBMA is actually owned by Red Bull. I was not aware that they were actually associated with one another.

Post of the year

flol
Hoooolllyyyyy shit Johnny boy must be red in the face right about now.

rbma might be a shitty thing, but all broadcast media is sponsored to a degree excepting free podcast's or lucky SOB's that get by with a subscription user base, so any radio show that you go on, even underground is going to have some level of corporate involvement, as that's how they pay the bills, through advertising. Nowadays, though, instead of relying on the middle man to market their thing in the social space, some corporations have taken it upon themselves to directly control the content put out there. This isn't a new phenomena, and has happened with varying degree over the years, coming in and out of fashion. There was generally always that middle man though, be it the publisher, television or radio station. Now with the internet, the corporation can directly present their marketing vehicle to the public. I don't see how this then completely invalidates the content that they create, anymore than it would invalidate all those mediocre american TV shows that you guys seem to want to waste your life watching, or those sponsored programs of yore "These brand name cigarettes are just great lucy, i should get some for fred, so smooth, so sophisticated, so healthy".

Now whether this particular content is ultimately redeeming, or dreck, i don't know, i think i watched part of one of these things once when some warp dude was making a groove for some poorly styled hip kids. So what's it all about, is it a music academy, sounds feral, will not watch those types of reality TV things. heh. Doesn't invalidate my counter argument though. Just because the whole point of the show is to sell a tin of fizzy drink, doesn't mean the show itself is wrong or bad, if we go down that path we won't be able to move, watch or eat in today's society.

chizamaniz .. [-;

y'all need to stop bringing OT shit into this thread. Why is derailment the fate of every OPN topic.

I just rediscovered my favorite thing from the R+7 thread

Guest cult fiction

Lots of people have suggested I give replica a listen

Yeah, that's definitely a 'safe' beginners OPN album. If you can get past the super noisy intro (which actually works quite nicely as a comparison/segue to the next track desipte the fact I don't usually like noise artists) Returnal is grand too (was actually my first OPN purchase)

I'd say it's all about Rifts 4 beginners

Rifts is definitely the easy train way to get into OPN - great melodies, lush 70's vibe, non-repetitive for the most part, good range of styles to pick from

I tried to get into OPN shortly after the R+7 release because I saw you lot (and other friends) ranting about it.

I genuinely thought it was pretentious tripe the first few listens and I really, really didn't understand why you guys were heralding it as the next coming of Jesus.

then it clicked. amazing all of a sudden. then I purchased his entire back catalog and became absolutely obsessed with a bunch of earlier albums and didn't listen to much else for a bunch of weeks.

I don't understand why, but you gotta give it time. some of the tracks are genuinely amazing in a way i only seem to get from a few other artists i can count on one hand but it certainly isn't an immediate thing and I understand the 'what the hell is this crap' point of view entirely.