IGNORED

the watmm GAS thread

modey

1 hour ago, cern said:

It seems that people in general have strong opinions on Behringer. Good or bad? 

they are the sadists of the synth world. their entire marketing team needs to be fired. they cocktease out all these cool affordable looking products, then never release them. they must revel in pissing off potential customers...it's like announcing an album that will be released in 3 years time, then delaying it another year. who tf does this?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, zero said:

they are the sadists of the synth world. their entire marketing team needs to be fired. they cocktease out all these cool affordable looking products, then never release them. they must revel in pissing off potential customers...it's like announcing an album that will be released in 3 years time, then delaying it another year. who tf does this?

Yeah that part is annoying for people with GAS.. It is also a very weird thing of a company to do. 
I was thinking about their way of copying every brand and gear. 

But is the quality of the Behringer stuff absolute sh1t or what?
Seems that many who wants to bash at their products just doing it because they don't like the Company copy other brands. 

Are Behringer good or bad? Neither. Do I like them as a company? Not particularly. They have made some useful music tools at reasonable prices. 

Behringer products that I've used: 

808 - Sounds decent. For £300 very reasonable. Is it better than other clones? I don't know or particularly care.

303 - Good for the price point. Lacks the tone of the 'real' 303 but is probably 70-80% there.

MS1 - Was a bit disappointed with this but I think it was more to do with the 808 trigger out not working properly with the seq input rather than the sound quality (although remember not being overly impressed with this either). 

Model D - This did have a nice sound but I didn't enjoy the lack of on board sequencing and linking it with my other gear was a pain in the arse. 

K2 - Was never going to live up to the MS20 but was capable of some decent sounds (although maybe sounded a little thin?) Similar issues with sequencing which I should have known before buying it. 

Issues are mainly down to my stupidity and laziness but I've generally enjoyed messing around with their nostalgia machines. Also got the Pro 800 on order. 

23 minutes ago, flacid said:

Are Behringer good or bad? Neither. Do I like them as a company? Not particularly. They have made some useful music tools at reasonable prices. 

I've got a few, namely Deepmind 12D, RD-6, TD-3, TD-3-MO, and Crave. Deepmind is nice, as is the MO version of TD-3. Looking forward to Edge, their DFAM clone in Crave's form factor, coloured flaming pink. I don't really care for Behringer as a company and how they operate, but that doesn't make me avoid their products completely.

Edited by dcom

I haven't used any of their synths (a friend has a Neutron and it sounds great, I was saving up for a Deepmind 12 before it was released, but I stumbled on a Juno 6 for $300 less than the prerelease MSRP for the Deepmind so I didn't end up getting it), but their Boss guitar pedal knockoffs are FANTASTIC.  I haven't tried any of their other pedals, I looked at some demos of their MuTron Bi-Phase clone and wasn't impressed - by all accounts the modulation sources are all digital and the side by side comparisons I listened to werent even close (for what that's worth).

The CC-300 is one of the better synth choruses I've ever used, but I don't pull it out much since I got a Boss CE-300 (thanks to THawkins for helping with that!) and modded it for line level a few years back.  But I'd absolutely recommend the CC-300 for synths, even at the inflated used prices.  

I had a small Xenyx mixer for a little while and it was the noisiest mixer I've ever used.

The V-Verb was one of my favorite reverbs of all time but one of the analog inputs doesn't work and I don't have any digital i/o on the interface I use now, so it's on a shelf.  Maybe some day I'll find one with a broken display cheap and swap the i/o board.

If I had money to throw around I wouldn't hesitate to get a Behringer 2600 and/or 2500.

MY big complaint about their recent stff is the same complaint I have about 99% of modern music gear - PCB mounted plastic potentiometers and jacks that aren't going to work very well in 10 years, much less 50.  That's where every manufacturer cuts corners now.

Edited by TubularCorporation

That new single-sheet grid looks very, very Linnstrument-like. I assume if they were actually licensing his sensor tech it would be all over the marketing materials, though.

Edited by TubularCorporation

Really, really, REALLY like that they put ADAT in/out on it. Guessing it will only run the Ableton-made synths in standalone (haven't watched any demos yet). The MPE is a great addition (guessing this is what's going to get non-players more focused on MPE-specific performance). 

Oh, small thing, but if you use iOS for music stuff and use an older lightning device, don't upgrade to iPadOS 16.5 yet. They fucked up and made the lightning CCK's stop charging devices (USB3 CCK's still work apparently). Apple knows about it.

7 minutes ago, YEK said:

So now there’s going to be the push 2 and the push standalone model? My push 2 isn’t going to be outdated?

your push 2 is now worthless

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, YEK said:

So now there’s going to be the push 2 and the push standalone model? My push 2 isn’t going to be outdated?

It's 2 versions of the Push 3:  Standalone and the version that only works plugged in. Push 2 still works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YEK said:

As outdated as push 1 is. Same features as when you bought it, still works with the latest version of Live. Ableton is quite nice like that, still supporting a 10 year old device.

after  ten years not buying any new gear, I just bought a TR-6S.

needed a (very) small drum machine for livesets that would replace (or go along with) my beloved old korg ES-1 because I've caned it and need to go further.

classic factory sounds are okay but the important thing is that I needed something i can put my own samples in it so there it goes.

just a few hours on it and I'm pretty happy with it. the sequencer is really flexible as I expected. I love that 8-variations bank - per - pattern and how you can quickly modify them on-the-fly. perfect for live beat jamming /  sequence fuckery.

obviously if you're into total finger-drumming stuff it won't work : too small buttons + no velocity sensing (I mean it's not an MPC)

but i'm more on sequence manipulation so it's okay. obviously not as direct for sound manipulation than the TR8 but it's not a surprise as long as The TR8 has way more faders and knobs. but i don't bother. sequence control was the main deal for me.

the build looks a bit weak though for a 400 bucks gear. it seems not as sturdy as my mate's  TR-8S. time will tell.

and by the way , just moved to another house, with a big basement, so full-size studio rebuild is on it's way, I'll soon be back in making tracks :spiteful:

• Like 1

I just hope Behringer doesn't make a polymoog clone. Because I own a polymoog and it took a lot of work to get it. 

But they are buddies with synthpro and he is the polymoog guru. So I can see it happening. They did a really good job on the solina

6 hours ago, Limo said:

it's just Ableton-made synths and effects in standalone

abelton clip-mode thing without bringing out a computer is a nice thing. (liveset config in mind) but this is waaayy too expensive for me right now. (and I just spend my few money on the TR-6S so I won't be buying anything else soon haha)

give us  a cheap version with just midi and no audio/ synths / effects / and liscensing fee etc that comes with it . like a modern alesis MMT8 :rolleyes:.

6 hours ago, Limo said:

but also, and this is crazy cool, Max4Live.

yes ! probably a bit pain in the ass to work M4L on the tiny screen but I guess you have laptop communication for editing and importing.

Edited by neurone

Looks like my timing was good for selling my Push 2. Managed to pay for most of my Digitone with that. 

Do any of you guys struggle with using multiple synths/drum machines at once? I used to love doing it but nowadays I have a mental block with it and go back to making something with only one synth or Ableton. 

new push looks dope. i really wish logic had a better mpe implementation. logic has better midi editing in every other way and i vastly prefer it over ableton. however the push might be a sweet setup for live sets and jamming around on. i had an original push but it melted in my car on a move