IGNORED

will tom put out a good record ever again?

koolkeyZ865

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol.

I think overall Hello Everything is him at his best. Although I love pretty much all his albums and there are moments on say go Go Plastic and Ultravisitor that are my favorite SP moments, overall as an album Hello Everything is his best. Just the right mix of bonkers electronics and bass guitar... there is a layer of polish on the album not on any other IMO. Oh and it's properly mastered too which helps (looking at you Damaged Furries alboom).

I WISH we could get a "Hello Everything 2".

I recall the production on that album being pretty raw, but in a good way.  I wouldn't really call it polished... but it's been a long time since I listened.  I think it has it's own very well defined aesthetic, as do most of his albums.  Damn it, now I'm going to have to go through the Squarepusher discography to solidify my opinion... ffuuuuuuuuu  :wtf:

This is why I almost never get around to hearing new music.

I quite liked Damogen Furies and prefer it over Ufabulum. "Baltang Ort" is great as is "Kwang Bass." Love the noisy stuff. His set at Day for Night was killer.

• 4 months later...

I listened to a lot of squarepusher last week. It was good. Good. Double plus good.

Ditto here. Did Go Plastic, Ufabulum and Damogen Furies last night, it was splendid.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really listened much to Ufabulum or it's accompanying EP, but daaaaang Damogen Furies was excellent; and Shobaleader stuff is a nice change of pace from the usual routine; the only album of Tom's I've really had trouble with is Solo Electric Bass Vol 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ultravisitor title track is a perfect track. It makes you feel like you're being beamed up. The rest of the album ranges from good to great to okay.

Hello Everything is a very good album and probably, maybably his most consistently good? Well maybe Go Plastic. ahhh.

Ufabulum and Damogen Furies I just have a big playlist of both of them into one mega album where the DF tracks feel better sound designed but both albums still feel interchangable. I just think of it as a double album. Some awesome tracks on there. Though some of the tracks feel like ideas than tracks; just a few.

He never lost it. I feel bad for those who feel he did but he just stopped with the breakbeats so much which is understandable. The only notion i'd agree with is that he hasn't done anything "holy shit" or perfect in a number of albums. But it honestly seems like the choice of aesthetic on making more dancey bangers than "let me take you on a journey"..bangers. He could probably pull off an ultravisitor 2 if he wanted.

i expect another 'step sideways' from him soon. "Music is Rotted One Note 2019 version" then a year or two later a killer follow up of peak squarepusher DSP acid breaks 

not gonna hold my breath but it's a nice dream. 

Go plastic is perfect

Do you know squarepusher is next level

Not so big on the rest

I miss the fat spring reverb he had. Akg bx 20.

I miss the amen choppage on his s6000

And the fm melodies and harmonies, atmospheric

But it’s none of my business what he’s doing now

I’m thankful for the good times

I’m thankful for the good times

same. listening to music of his that i really like is still full of things to explore and of course totally enjoyable. 

let's not forget that music for robots [edit: that was a year before damogen, whatever!] (underrated!) and shobaleader (best live band i've seen) were both after damogen.

and this

Massive pusher fan myself but more the early years so if/when he does pop up again I won't expect much - why do i think he's living in belgium  with a g/f? Maybe he's gone the family way 

Perfection:

- GP, Buzz Caner, HND, S!6, MIRON, BT, BL, DYKS, UV, Venus EP + all those live sets<<<-----fucking unreal!

He started to lose it with Hello Everything and JAS though tye do have amazing moments imo

then warp20 hit us and I was all about him again.. like WOW!

then I got confused with shoba antics and thought about the live band "whats the point?"... especially with the dodgy guitar sounds

UF and Damogene seem to get back into things.. kinda/sorta.... but then diddly squat

so we  shall see......

It sounds like his last two albums were trying to tie together his melodic work and his squiggly zzt bleep bloop material. He'll figure it out eventually.

IMO he was at his peak with go plastic / DYKS / ultravisitor. Would like to see him updating the sound of this era. I’m totally ok with the full digital / computer sound but some melodies are super cheesy on UF and DF. And regarding music for robots lol let’s pretend it never happened.

MfR was great, whatchu talkin' bout?

i enjoyed the interview he did about music for robots where he discussed lot's of topics around the project but i've never given the actual music a fair listen. conceptually it seems interesting though. 

i hold out hope for a new awesome thing from tom that is all mutant like.

Archived