• 2 weeks later...

It might be the most important electronic release of the decade, I think. Something about the middle of abundance or those sci-fi synths in pthex transcends time and feels like total bliss. Can't even describe that feeling in words. Like this music is just timeless. We should record it onto a golden disc and send to space.

I Agree:)

Whole Heart-edly

Thanks for this Awesome Creation RDJ!!!

It's Really Healed/Helped Me since hearing/dancing/raving to collapse ep and seeing the video

I'm sure I'm not the only one:)

abundance10edit[2 R8's, FZ20m & a 909]

Always brings water:)

:aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign: :aphexsign:

THANKS RDJ!!!

I really fail to believe I float in a bath of nostalgia. I mean if I did I should be walking around in laceless Adidas sneakers and a Kangol hat, and I don't do that. Or maybe walking around with a denim jacket with sew on patches of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica, definitely don't do that. Maybe walk around in shorts, Vans trainers, Oakley frogskins and some fucking ice cool American band, nah, no thank you Sir. Perhaps walk around in jet black jean shorts (I never wear trousers unless absolutely necessary) with barbed wire tattooed around my neck, jet black denim shirt and DM's, and with Misfits or Stooges or Damned or Velvet Underground or Merciful Release or Dead Kennedys or Johnny Cash (etc etc) tattooed on my arms, hmmm no thanks. Maybe I'd walk about dressed up as a Brit Pop fan, like Liam Gallagher (a casual football hooligan, who's done a bit of cocaine and looking to do a lot more this evening and has got a beanie hat on because it's hot and I'm on holiday somewhere in Greece or Spain). Nope fuck that. Don't do any of those things, but been into that music and still am. Just good old scruffy me. Bit smarter these days and to be honest I do get a few comments on how sharp I look, but then it wasn't hard to improve.

So I guess really nostalgia can kiss my fucking arse. And so with that I fully aware of my senses and can say with pin point clarity that the Collapse EP is one of the best things I've ever heard. And pretty much rules almost anything else I've heard this year. Yeah (cracks open a bottle of red).

Happy new year.

Edited by beerwolf

• 3 weeks later...

damn melon put collapse n1 hands down on his ep's end of year list

I saw another video of his about 'albums' and assume it was inclusive to EPs. Okay yeah much better. This is honestly a surprise considering how lukewarm he is to IDM-esque music in general.

How has you peeps preferences on this ep changed over time? 

I listened to the ep tons initially, kinda stopped over a month or two, now I'm into it again and I've definitely played abundance more than anything else this time. Initially I listened to the First 3 tracks pretty much, but now I am more into Abundance and T69. I haven't played 1st 44 or pthex quite as much. I don't know if I played them out or if my preferences just changed over time.

The same thing kind of happened on Syro where I listened to the Circlont and syro u47... tracks the most, then I stopped listening for half a year, came back and played produk/xmas evet/papat4 more. It's like my second go around I listen to the ambient stuff more, and the first go around the crazy breakbeat tracks stand out for me.

Edited by Brisbot

I listened to it a lot initially but then kind of forgot about it (Ae NTS sessions are still taking a lot of my listening time). Need to revisit anyway.

I play it regularly all the way through. 

Same with Syro and Cheetah. 

Deejay Selek is the one I play least for some reason. I must say I forget that he added some super fat tracks to that ep on his store. 

Rozzboxv is just crazy. 

I've been using shuffle on my phone a lot recently. And at least twice one of the middle tracks have come on and I immediately assume it's a track off a chatmm comp or some EKT thing.

So there you have it. It's as good as chatmmusic/ekt

overplayed it and had to many good moments with it, gonna put it away for a while and let it ripe in my mind

yeah I think that's what happens with every release I like. 

I  over-listen to it, put it down for an arbitrary amount of time, and when I come back to it it's like I have a different opinion on it. I wonder if it's by a change in taste or I'm just hearing the ep fresh again.

Collapse is still on fairly regular rotation here, I mix it up with the Field Day extended LP to form a definite Nu-Phex-Era playlist.

Lol nu-phex... Field day does feel like a bridge doesn't it? It feels like he's trying out the very ideas he ends up using on the record. Just like Analord is to Rushup Edge is to Syro or Hangable Auto Bulb is to RDJ album.

I  Over-listen to it, put it down for an arbitrary amount of time, and when I come back to it it's like I have a different opinion on it. I wonder if it's by a change in taste or I'm just hearing the ep fresh again. Probably both.

What is field day extended ? 

It's on his website. I honestly like some of the bonus tracks more than some of the tracks he put on the album. \

Edited by Brisbot

Probably got nerded out in the thread already somewhere but just noticed the white noise filter shuffle beat thing in T69T07 stasspa+3 off the Field Day LP is the same as in T69 Collapse right before the breakdown

yeah that happens a lot in his music. There is one track from bonus HAB tracks ( I think ) that literally has parts from 2 or 3 different tracks off RDJ album. He so liberally reuses his stuff. It makes sense, once you find a set of sounds that gel then you can combine and recombine them in many ways.

Probably got nerded out in the thread already somewhere but just noticed the white noise filter shuffle beat thing in T69T07 stasspa+3 off the Field Day LP is the same as in T69 Collapse right before the breakdown

yeah that happens a lot in his music. There is one track from bonus HAB tracks ( I think ) that literally has parts from 2 or 3 different tracks off RDJ album. He so liberally reuses his stuff. It makes sense, once you find a set of sounds that gel then you can combine and recombine them in many ways.

I think the track you are referring to is Choir Drill. It definitely has some sounds that were used on the RDJ album. 

Edited by Time Tourist

I think the track you are referring to is Choir Drill. It definitely has some sounds that were used on the RDJ album. 

yeah thanks. I tried looking it up but forgot the name. It's a really good track as well. It has bits from inkey$ and To Cure a Weakling Child, and... one more I think.

This EP is the only thing from 2018 that I both love and can also listen all the way through without cringing or getting bored. Vibes, pacing, memorable moments, tight and clean mixing, and satisfying juxtapositions and transitions, it's got it all. It does feel a bit glib or breezy or vapid, maybe a little below Aphex average in the melody department, but it hits the spot most of the time. Good driving, walking, bus riding, computering music.

Not a moment too long either. I hope we get more solid EPs like this in 2019. It's a great format for these breezy vibes and rhythmic indulgence.