So I watched Babadook. I guess it was ok. I thought I was gonna get frightened the good old fashioned way

the scene where Babadook stood behind the old lady was pretty cool

but apart from that it didn't really do it for me.

Also, that kid was really fucking annoying. His face was annoying.

Also, the sound design was embarrassing. I don't care how low budget your movie is... do NOT use Sound Ideas monster sounds in your movies. First of all, it's cheap and lazy and the only thing those sounds can and should remind you of is the Imp from the old Doom games.

lol, I wondered where I recognised that sound from.

I didn't really get the end. It was a bit vague.

I thought it was gonna be that she was going mental from blood poisoning from the bad tooth or something but then there was obviously supernatural shit going on.

Was it that he dead husband was not quite human so neither was the son?

There seemed to be quite a lot of red herrings scattered about but no real resolution.

lol, I wondered where I recognised that sound from.

I didn't really get the end. It was a bit vague.

I thought it was gonna be that she was going mental from blood poisoning from the bad tooth or something but then there was obviously supernatural shit going on.

Was it that he dead husband was not quite human so neither was the son?

There seemed to be quite a lot of red herrings scattered about but no real resolution.

Yeah, it's almost as bad as the elevator/door sounds from Doom (also from the Sound Ideas library) that are also used everywhere.

Hadn't thought about the blood poisoning theory. I thought Babadook was a reflection of her hatred towards her son who more or less caused the death of her husband. It is also mentioned, briefly, that the mom wrote a children's book (maybe more than one, I don't remember) so I thought she wrote the Babadook book herself.

But you're right about the supernatural stuff... it seemed "real" and not just something happening in her mind. But then again, the neighbor did mention that the mom usually had a rough time this time a year, so maybe she freaks out like this once a year or something.

It's funny though... just like in Psycho, the house was a three story house where the basement is the subconscious level where all the secrets are hidden... or something like that.

babadook theories:

the theory i've heard is that the entire movie is about the mom fighting her depression (babadook) and overcoming it in the end (by locking it inside the basement). she wrote the book (she said she used to be a childrens book author at the party they went to), and she keeps putting it back together and adding to it (at the police station the camera pans down to show her hands are all dirty from scribbling - although i figured that was from burning the book, but i dunno).

The scene in the bedroom where Amelia stands up to the Babadook is symbolic of the inner turmoil that is a mental "tug-of-war" that she experiences on a daily basis dealing with the death of her husband. She tells the Babadook that he's trespassing in her house and with that, The Babadook is weakened and falls to the floor whimpering. Amelia feels sorry for it and goes back towards it, to which it dashes down into the basement and is locked away. As the book said "You cant get rid of the Babadook." He will always be there, and much like a mental illness, it will never go away. All you can do is your best to cope with it.

and yeah, i thought the kid was annoying as fuck too, but not because he was a bad actor / casting choice, he just stressed me the fuck out to the point of me wanting to slap him upside the head, which i think was the point, to show what the mother was having to deal with.

Good evening film boffs!

Watched The Wolf of Wall Street and obviously loved it. Maybe it could of been edited a little to pack more punch..dunno it was still good though. The scene when he drives to the country club to take a phone call when the lemmons kick in made me laugh out loud all the way until he was arrested. Great, great film.

ooh some nice theories there thanks. Will bear them in mind when I give it a rewatch.

I did note the writing thing but I thought she just said articles. In my defence I was being distracted in bits because my kittens found a hole I'd never noticed before and were trying to get lost in the walls of my flat.

The Possesion 6/10

I could really feel the Sam Raimi in this one even though he was only the producer but the director could not make this the Drag me to Hell 2 it shoulda coulda been.

Wicked 'based on a true story' wikipediaing to be done afterwards though.

Edge of Tomorrow - 7/10 good beginning but too much basil exposition by the end.

Space Station 76 - 4/10 mind numbingly boring and Liv Tyler's shrill monotone didn't help.

Nightbreed Director's Cut - 9/10 not too noticebly different from original but def better.

Interstellar

Dissapointing/10

This was shit. No two ways about it. I guess i went into silly'ly thinking it wouldn't be just another throw away blockbuster and that it might be one of 'those films' they don't make anymore which somehow makes it way into the mainstream...but nope, utter shlocky shite...for a film that goes to another dimension and inside a black hole it was one of the most unimaginative sci-fi films i'd ever seen...and the script was just awful, no characters ever had one original line of dialogue to say, each time they opened their mouths they just vomited exposition. Also, saw it in IMAX and it really didn't even look that great!

Interstellar - 8/10 - great up until the painfully literal ending... definitely left a bad taste in my mouth. total trip otherwise tho, fantastic film besides those last 20 minutes.

Birdman - 8/10 - still trying to figure out what this film was trying to say... or be... idk. it's an amazing experience but the message(s?) felt lost and forgotten at points. the more I think about it the more it makes sense though. Overall fucking awesome, just a bit too stylish for its own good at times.

Birdman. Honestly loved this movie. Great fast paced dark comedy edited to look like one continuous shot throughout (although there were points where you could tell they made an edit.) Great group of actors. Said a lot about critics, superhero movies, theater, family, and sense of purpose after your prime

guardians of the galaxy - kinda expected more from it knowing it was made by the guy who's responsible for the insane "super", there are some unexpected lols and quirks scattered here and there but by large it conforms to the factory presets of comic book adaptation films, it's pretty much identical to avengers story wise. i kept hoping for it to switch into firescape-like ridiculousness and creativity for some reason, but it never happened.

The Act of Killing - 9/10

Damn. You can't write as original characters as those in this documentary. What a bunch of nutcases. But great twist. Loved it.

Man Bites dog is the only movie with (written) characters that gets anywhere close. I never thought there would be a documentary that reached that level of disturbing

Never watched Man Bites Dog. Doesn't sound like a movie I should watch with my girlfriend.

Didn't think people on watmm had girlfriends :emotawesomepm9:

Man Bites Dog is an essential classic, it predates the dogma manifesto by a few years and it's the darkest comedy. I have been drunk late at night shouting "Cinema, CINEMA!" whilst walking though built up areas.

anyhowz

Le Jette - Basically what 12 Monkeys totally ripped off. 9/10

Computer Chess - Quirky mish mash of retro nostalgia with a little sci-fi thrown in. Has good and bad bits tho need to watch this again.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Well animated shit sandwich 3/10.

Edited by soundwave