IGNORED

Geogaddi Turns 20

Friendly Stranger

https://www.stereogum.com/2175272/boards-of-canada-geogaddi-turns-20/reviews/the-anniversary/

I love you Geogaddi, you beautiful sonofa....

Life changing album and that's not hyperbole. It literally changed me. Telephasic Workshop was the track that piqued my interest, but Geogaddi was the album that ultimately sucked me in. Hearing "You Could Feel The Sky" while driving through the Minnesota northwoods was a trancendant moment. 

• Like 10

Big edit: Great album, has it been 20 year already? Wow! wow... Oof. I remember playing this to death back when it just came out. Fine days long gone. 

Edited by Silent Member
Had to fix a clusterfuck shitpost
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I was a bit lukewarm with Geogaddi, in fact I wasn’t a massive BOC fan, I always thought they were miles behind Autechre and Aphex. It was between the releases of TCH and TH when I read the backstory behind the album on BOC Pages that my interest shot through the roof. I found it absolutely fascinating. And then I started to tinker with my approach with BOC and how I listened to them. Then I started to see the light. I always thought they should publish The Boards Of Canada Rough Guide To Geogaddi book with the backstory,photos and pictures and loads of other gubbins. It would be just as good as the music. I don’t believe the art of constructing an album gets any higher  :boc:

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

my favourite of theirs. while it doesn't have their best individual tracks it certainly feels the most cohesive and thought through. if i want to listen to a full boc record i always put geogaddi on

• Like 1

I think 2002 was the year Watmm launched as well, or maybe the year I signed up. The two events are linked in my mind anyway.

There was quite a bit of hype beforehand, mainly centred on the Alpha and Omega promo 12" and the church listening parties. I seem to recall Geogaddi got pretty much universal praise on here, unlike their later records.

Edited by Key
  • Like 3

Even If I love all boc albums and this one isn't my favourite, is another masterpiece. I would outstand music is math, 1969 and over the horizon radar. Marcus and Mike know how to embrace some emotions on this, it's dark and oppressive because of that 11th sept thing, davidians, subliminal messages, etc.

nice job bros! and happy anniversary to geogaddi

Edited by Diurn
  • Like 3

Music Is Math is one of the best album openers ever, on first listen I had to just sit down and shut up.

Spoiler

I don't count Ready Let's Go, it's an intro, not a full track.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4

Happy birthday to my favourite slice of Sandisonia! Twenty years, eh? This album is one of the most cohesive albums I've ever heard and one which lead to an important broadening of my musical tastes and therefore changing my life. There may be other songs of BoC's I love which don't appear on this album but dang, this album is the definition of a unified listening experience. Thank you very much Michael and Marcus for this exquisite release.

• Like 2

I remember introducing BoC to a guy I hung out with back in like 2004. he was a piano player not really into electronic music, but was blown away by MHTRTC. from there we moved onto IABPOITC, Twosim, and Hi Scores. he was still on board. I eventually pressed play on Geogaddi, and he made it maybe halfway before bailing. just couldn't handle it. had another friend back then really into the 4 on the floor donk donk donk techno that claimed Geogaddi gave him a massive headache. point is, I can't recall really ever listening to this album with another person after that. it's always been me alone listening to it. 

Geogaddi was one of those rare cases where an album I was anticipating from an artist was exactly what I wanted it to be. Still their best imo. Great memories crashing around in the woods and at the beach listening to it in those early months. Music just doesn't hit me the way it did back then anymore.  (Posting about nostalgia in the boc subforum lol)

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1