IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

On 5/22/2023 at 5:30 PM, d-a-m-o said:

https://www.labiennale.org/en/music/2023/biennale-musica-2023/autechre-live-2023-10-26-21-00

Don't know if this was mentioned but they're playing in Venice in october.

Just wanted to say thanks for the heads-up. Haven't been around much the last couple of years and was skimming through thread to see what I missed, stumbled upon your post from May, idly surfed by the Biennale site fully expecting a long sold-out show, and three minutes later I have a ticket in hand (based in Germany, but Venice is always worth the trip). Apparently, sales started five or six days ago. Talk about Serendipity ... Anyway, cheers, mate! :beer: 

:datboi:

Edit: last time I saw the bros was in 2001, so needless to say I'm pretty, pretty stoked.

Edited by IDEM
  • Like 2

I wouldn't call him a hack, some of the tDR Autechre artwork is pretty great. Chiastic Slide in particular. Got a soft spot for the Oversteps and Exai vinyl boxes as well. 

I'm hoping it's now all pretty much ready to go, and they're just waiting on a suitable release date. The Helsinki set has really grown on me but it did take a LOT of listens, still find it crazy their current live stuff is so dense and weird - there's no way you can properly get your head round most of it on first listen. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

I wouldn't call him a hack, some of the tDR Autechre artwork is pretty great. Chiastic Slide in particular. Got a soft spot for the Oversteps and Exai vinyl boxes as well. 

Yeah hack was a bit harsh I guess, it's pretty hit and miss though you gotta admit... the elseq art is an abomination. Quadrange with the squares was a joke. Considering what was used for AE_LIVE this should be a no brainer. I can't remember what was on onesix... faded grey bean shapes?  I mean, who cares? Just put out the music already.
Maybe he's cracking under the pressure now that Sean leaked this info - we know it's all up to Ian now and he's going mad in his studio trying to decide circle or square, black or grey...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Yeah hack was a bit harsh I guess, it's pretty hit and miss though you gotta admit... the elseq art is an abomination. Quadrange with the squares was a joke. Considering what was used for AE_LIVE this should be a no brainer. I can't remember what was on onesix... faded grey bean shapes?  I mean, who cares? Just put out the music already.
Maybe he's cracking under the pressure now that Sean leaked this info - we know it's all up to Ian now and he's going mad in his studio trying to decide circle or square, black or grey...

Yeah some are definitely better than others. The elseq art individually looked pretty rubbish but I quite liked that print that put them all together. Quadrange wasn't great but the Quaristice steel box looks amazing. Overall his stuff is better suited to actual objects rather than just jpegs on a digital release I reckon. 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

Good points. The large elseq print is pretty cool to be fair. And yeah re: objects, the PLUS cover looks a bit less garish on the physical copy. 

5 hours ago, cern said:

s-l1200.thumb.webp.cc0f11035ea19ae954281450847a4f22.webp

Draft was Alexander Rutterford tho

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Good points. The large elseq print is pretty cool to be fair. And yeah re: objects, the PLUS cover looks a bit less garish on the physical copy. 

Draft was Alexander Rutterford tho

Yup totally on another level than Ian 

• Big Brain 1

in all honesty I prefer recent graphics to overly elaborate ones (for example Alexander Rutterford). Instead of representing the nature of sound, which is impossible without falling into clichés, the primary structures (circles, squares...) do not bind the music to an image, and can be based on a stylized idea, a barely suggested one, which is linked not so much to the atmosphere of the sound, but to the principles behind it.
The graphics of exai itself would not say much: it becomes interesting if you suspect a link behind. I don't think imagining that there is a reference to John Conway is conspiratorial or pretentious: the dynamics of the concepts of the game of life have an effective parallelism with the algorithmic compositional processes, and it is at least obvious that if a famous designer decides to solve a representation with simple gray rectangles, the real work, the one for which he is paid and recognized as an artist, lies in the idea that motivates the rectangles, certainly not in the rectangles itself. The fact that there is a reference behind it is not only plausible, but it is also the only reason of being for this kind of approach to graphics. I imagine the same can be said for eleseq (stable geometries such as squares and circles, but assembled so as to transgress the sense of balance), or the triangular patterns of AE_LIVE, even those connected with the random combination of patterns (a tribute to Anni Albers ? Zdeněk Sýkora?). The first printing of AE_LIVE, for example, is a declared tribute by Ian for the first font used in computer s. (who knows why, but i wrongly thought it was connected to Bruno Munari)

All this prolixity just to say, ok Ian take your time 

(not too much pls)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

good post Draft. it motivates my rectangles.

but really, i agree for the most part (tho i generally prefer Rutterford’s art for the albums to tDR’s) i think tDR does a good job in general. i sure don’t mind waiting some weeks or months if things are getting right for the presentation. nbd. there’s hours and hours of old stuff i’ve barely listened to…ffs i still haven’t finished that mix shared from last week.

that said, poking fun at tDR is in good fun (i know you know that too Draft :beer:) but it’ll be a nice surprise when the new live stuff drops in the next few weeks. it’s all good.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

that said, poking fun at tDR is in good fun (i know you know that too Draft :beer:) but it’ll be a nice surprise when the new live stuff drops in the next few weeks. it’s all good.

...yep, on the one hand I support all the possible reasons for tDR, on the other hand I can't resist fucking with it  :cisfor:

• Like 3

love tDR to death huge fan of the elseq poster/artworks, it truly fit the music (variations, loads of, digital all the way; etc) without trying to put sounds into images (which i hate). 

• Like 8

IMO the only tDr works I would call “good” are Chiastic, Envane, and Sign/Plus. Maybe Exai too, but slightly less so. While the rest aren’t truly bad, they just don’t do it for me.

the best Ae album art is non-tDr (EP7, Confield, Draft, Untilted)

imo imo imo

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, trying to be less rude said:

ian has been working on this for months

Rumours say he's trying to freehand draw a trapezoid this time. It's tricky...

Jk, he's a legend. The typography on his releases are underrated too. Very nice attention to detail.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Big Brain 1