IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

I second that. I absolutely love some parts, others I can’t wrap my head around. It’s so dense it just needs enough attention & time. It’s fine to wait for the properly mastered soundboards, or maybe a tour announcement.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 7:08 PM, Draft78 said:

it's still not clear to me if they record on a single file (therefore ready for mastering but no longer mixable) or if they have the possibility of recording on separate tracks, with the automations open (in this case the work would be much longer, but they could intervene on the mix, correcting where necessary - for example removing the presumably mic feedback of the Greek date).

Def sounds like a question Sean would be willing to answer 

On 4/18/2023 at 11:03 AM, Sam said:

100%

Same at the Barbican. Bass and overall volume just way, way too high. Like, if you listen to that set on youtube, the one with both sets, you might think that it was recorded from inside someone's jacket, or outside the room altogether, but that's *exactly* what it sounded like. Trying to orient yourself in such overwhelmingly complex music when it's played that loud and with that amount of bass is just exhausting. Felt like the sonic equivalent of sitting 2-3 feet away from an IMAX screen and being expected to take it all in 

Love AE and always will and never gonna not attend a show, but each gig I've been to the past three tours the sound has just been muddy muddy muddy 

I'm gonna have to hard disagree here — The Barbican set (first one, didn't have tickets for second one) was the clearest I've ever heard them. I was sat in the balcony, directly in the middle though so maybe where you sat affected the sound that much.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oscillik said:

I'm gonna have to hard disagree here — The Barbican set (first one, didn't have tickets for second one) was the clearest I've ever heard them. I was sat in the balcony, directly in the middle though so maybe where you sat affected the sound that much.

We were second row at the far stage right . Would have made a difference for sure, middle and far back would have been much better I'd say.  

Not sure where in the auditorium this recording was taken from, but it sounds pretty identical to how it was where we were.

https://youtu.be/esnuZ833jYw?t=6162

I mean the material is super dense and there are lots of low frequencies swimming all over the place, but - where we were anyway - most elements were just getting swallowed up by all the lows and didn't really have any room to breathe / stand out. 

Edited by Sam

1 hour ago, Sam said:

We were second row at the far stage right . Would have made a difference for sure, middle and far back would have been much better I'd say.  

Not sure where in the auditorium this recording was taken from, but it sounds pretty identical to how it was where we were.

https://youtu.be/esnuZ833jYw?t=6162

I mean the material is super dense and there are lots of low frequencies swimming all over the place, but - where we were anyway - most elements were just getting swallowed up by all the lows and didn't really have any room to breathe / stand out. 

Main stage area nearer the back and on the right for me - can confirm it sounded pretty dreadful there too, everything swallowed up by the kicks and bass as you describe. They really need a different sound guy IMO. 

On 5/4/2023 at 6:33 AM, DyeMyBlueBlack said:

Def sounds like a question Sean would be willing to answer 

I think they record the sets using a Tascam, with a stereo input form the mixer, so should be a single stereo file

18 hours ago, oscillik said:

Same. Second show. Stalls row G. 

On 5/4/2023 at 4:28 PM, oscillik said:

Can confirm. First set sounded terrible for me, sat somewhere sort of mid-front-left - as described by others, everything swallowed up by bass/kicks. Second set, sat right at the back near the centre sounded in-cred-i-ble.

I know where I'm sitting next time I see music at the Barbican.

Edited by EXTRASUPER81

Milan: I was exactly in the centre, about 10 meters from the stage: the sound was crystal clear and enveloping, like being under a cascade of signals from a parallel universe

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 9:53 PM, Sam said:

Damn we were just a few rows back from you and thought it was spectacular. 

Obviously being over to one side isn't ideal, but the left channel being distant almost gave it more scale. 

It's my favourite ae live set, I wish they'd get a move on and release it ?.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

https://www.labiennale.org/en/music/2023/biennale-musica-2023/autechre-live-2023-10-26-21-00

Don't know if this was mentioned but they're playing in Venice in october.

At the Biennale too! I was there 10 years ago I think, I remember Ben Frost had this lovely room outfitted with speakers and projectors showing the eastern Kongo conflicts but with everything green keyed in as pink. The whole town felt like a feverdream of art, would love to see AE there

• Like 2