IGNORED

Autechre-Quaristice

Guest Rook

• 5 years later...

The Plc. That shit is just awesome. Also The PlclCpC. Dunno why it clicked with me this way today.

The (Sean/Rob) Pls

Funny that 6 years ago this was my first AE experience via randomly buying a copy whilst looking for AFX. my first thought was 'i can't see myself ever liking these guys'

I finally 'get this album' and only draft is left now. It all makes prefect sense now

Guest eczem

Funny that 6 years ago this was my first AE experience via randomly buying a copy whilst looking for AFX. my first thought was 'i can't see myself ever liking these guys'

I finally 'get this album' and only draft is left now. It all makes prefect sense now

Unlocking Draft will truly be a Divine Moment of Truth. Go in peace.

If only my Draft cherry could be popped twice.

• 3 months later...

Guys it's took 6 years but now I understand the power of Quaristice!

It contains the power of deep space, I knew I'd probably get it eventually, you just have to create the album from all the versions.

I've tried to get it to descend in to ambience, probably needs tweaking but I love this, feels like I have a new 'chre album ;)

Fuck sake the screen print didn't appear in the post

Edited by Lesley

strange coincidence. i just listened to this album today for the first time in a couple years - then came here & saw this thread bumped.

really connected with all their quaristice-era stuff for some reason. had the biggest influence on me & definitely listened to it the most out of all their material.

... and of course who could forget the almighty los angeles bootleg from the quaristice tour ("this doesn't sound like autechre... but there are 2 guys on stage") :lol:

The key to unlocking Draft is to play Surripere at gut punching volume, literally twice as loud as you feel you should. In fact the whole album is much better insanely loud.

While mixing and matching various sounds from the album/versions/quadrangle can certainly produce a very good playlist of songs, in my mind this still doesn't change the fact that Quaristice (proper) is a bit if a weak album

The benefit of mixing songs from all the different iterations just tells me that with better care, Ae could have crafted something that holds up to the rest of their out-put

But they didn't (IMO)

I'm not the kind of guy who makes playlists and change the order of tracks. I believe an album is composed the way it is for a reason and I respect the choice. If I had to choose Quaristice.Quadrange.ep.ae works the best for me as an album (well it's an EP but you know what I mean).

I don't like Quaristice, too much short & pointless jams. But I LOVE the quadrange tracks and my playlist with selected tracks from the regular CD, versions and quadrange eps are probably my most played ae-playlist. It's great to have lot's of stuff to choose from!

The key to unlocking Draft is to play Surripere at gut punching volume, literally twice as loud as you feel you should. In fact the whole album is much better insanely loud.

The key to unlocking Draft was Quaristice! in fact i'm finding, after revisiting LP5 and EP7, and getting more familiar with Gescom and their vast array of remix's, i'm finding that i'm very accustomed to their sound now. Everything hits and i can enjoy it right off the bat.

As for Quaristice, well i wouldn't put it at the top of the pile, but to say its weaker than any other album is a tad harsh IMO. As with most of their catalogue, it is quite timeless music. I think an album like this will defiantly stand the test of time. It is very sonically impressive no doubt, but it's also got a very heavy atmosphere, almost like a singular purpose of alienation thats quite unrelenting. I love that concept, and it has emotion that can change from serious to playful in an instant. It's not a subtle album, yet contains a lot of subtlety.... I know that doesn’t make any sense, but hey!

As for loudness, yeah i'm a bit overzealous when it comes to the volume. if its a choice between volume and being considerate.... Volume wins hands down. A friend of mine, who i've slowly gotten him into Ae has a recording studio and he was saying that their sound design is the most impressive and is a good reference for his bigfoot speakers.

this was the hardest one for me but i'm sure now, it's a work of genius

p.s.

imo, it's absolutely mind blowing how much their music differs from other ppl's music and yet their albums pretty much differ one from the other.

Oversteps is the hardest one for me but Quaristice comes close.

Yesterday I wallowed in the whole colony, Quaristice followed by (versions) followed by Quadrange. Was quite the satisfying listen.

Genius fer shure.