IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

Just started watching Ozark. It seems fine, if a bit cliched in after Breaking Bad, etc. Too mentally exhausted to be arsed to find something better to watch so it'll do for now.

OK I actually like this a decent amount. Shouldn't be a problem to finish this season.

Just started watching Ozark. It seems fine, if a bit cliched in after Breaking Bad, etc. Too mentally exhausted to be arsed to find something better to watch so it'll do for now.

OK I actually like this a decent amount. Shouldn't be a problem to finish this season.

Think I'm half way through Ozark. Not bad so far. Definitely got better as the the episodes progressed.

Took me a little while to get used to that fucking blue colour grading too.

1505129982_the-orville-fox.jpg

well, this was underwhelming. it's (obviously) a spoof of star trek but none of the jokes are funny. even worse is the casting and acting: besides mcfarlane, whose strongest suit is his voice, almost everyone fails to sell their character. another meh show that comes off more as an expensive fan movie on a network budget.

Yeah, I forgot I watched this the other night. It was trying way too hard to be serious/realistic, the comedic aspects were pretty much forgotten and/or very weak. Sad to see, it's a good idea, just reveres the original too much for its own good. Would've been much better as a 30 minute show, and with someone reigning in the writers to be, ya know, funny. A lot of the acting was weak, a lot of the episode and even the characters really felt like filler...and that's sad given it was setting up literally everything for the 'world.'

Worst part of it is, this is probably better than the actual new Star Trek will be.

Is it supposed to be a comedy though? McFarlane hasn't been shy about his love of Star Trek and this just seems like a fanfilm in that regard, like he wants to do a serious SF show with a little bit of humor.

That being said, it was not good. Might stick with it (Trek had much worse premieres/episodes) but if the new Trek show is any good I'll probably quit sooner than later.

Weird timing for the release of Seth's show.

Edited by Lada Laika

Think I'm half way through Ozark. Not bad so far. Definitely got better as the the episodes progressed.

Yeah that's a little funky, isn't it? Makes me feel like I shouldn't be watching it so late in the day.

well, this was underwhelming. it's (obviously) a spoof of star trek but none of the jokes are funny. even worse is the casting and acting: besides mcfarlane, whose strongest suit is his voice, almost everyone fails to sell their character. another meh show that comes off more as an expensive fan movie on a network budget.

Yeah, I forgot I watched this the other night. It was trying way too hard to be serious/realistic, the comedic aspects were pretty much forgotten and/or very weak. Sad to see, it's a good idea, just reveres the original too much for its own good. Would've been much better as a 30 minute show, and with someone reigning in the writers to be, ya know, funny. A lot of the acting was weak, a lot of the episode and even the characters really felt like filler...and that's sad given it was setting up literally everything for the 'world.'

Worst part of it is, this is probably better than the actual new Star Trek will be.

Is it supposed to be a comedy though? McFarlane hasn't been shy about his love of Star Trek and this just seems like a fanfilm in that regard, like he wants to do a serious SF show with a little bit of humor.

That being said, it was not good. Might stick with it (Trek had much worse premieres/episodes) but if the new Trek show is any good I'll probably quit sooner than later.

I saw this the first time when it was called Galaxy Quest

It would've been MUCH more interesting if it was more in that vein/quality of humor, but I didn't really expect that from Macfarlane. I remember either reading or thinking when this show was first announced, "oh great idea! Star Trek but Galaxy Quest humor, in a weekly tv show? Hell yeah!" But this is nothing like that. Nothing at all like that. Ugh.

Yeah, I'll give it another episode or two to see if anything comes from it. Pilots are often the worst episode of a series, I get that.

It was advertised, from what I saw, as a comedy. And I'm one of those horrid tasteless white people who like Macfarlane's comedy usually, so I was hoping for a funny show. The poster there tags it as a 'space adventure show' though, so maybe Fox doesn't even know what it really is yet.

The thing is, if he wants to do a show like ST that stays serious but has some humor in it, okay, but make it good, and unique. This was a total rip-off of ST TNG/Voyager style but *nudges u in da ribs* it's funny hehe right? right? wink wink ....like a SERIOUS rip-off. Which is fine if you take it down a comedy route, Star Trek but hilarious and silly! Great, could be awesome. But that first episode didn't do that at all imo. We'll see I guess.

It would've been MUCH more interesting if it was more in that vein/quality of humor, but I didn't really expect that from Macfarlane. I remember either reading or thinking when this show was first announced, "oh great idea! Star Trek but Galaxy Quest humor, in a weekly tv show? Hell yeah!" But this is nothing like that. Nothing at all like that. Ugh.

Yeah, I'll give it another episode or two to see if anything comes from it. Pilots are often the worst episode of a series, I get that.

It was advertised, from what I saw, as a comedy. And I'm one of those horrid tasteless white people who like Macfarlane's comedy usually, so I was hoping for a funny show. The poster there tags it as a 'space adventure show' though, so maybe Fox doesn't even know what it really is yet.

The thing is, if he wants to do a show like ST that stays serious but has some humor in it, okay, but make it good, and unique. This was a total rip-off of ST TNG/Voyager style but *nudges u in da ribs* it's funny hehe right? right? wink wink ....like a SERIOUS rip-off. Which is fine if you take it down a comedy route, Star Trek but hilarious and silly! Great, could be awesome. But that first episode didn't do that at all imo. We'll see I guess.

I haven't seen this show and I don't think I will, but I quoted your quotes.

He should just stick to doing a sci fi version of All in the Family. The captain is basically Archie bunker and they all make jokes about aliens and shit and none of it makes any sense. Make some ridiculously long intros and outros a la Too Many Cooks and bam...you've zeroed in on the millennial market.

Give me my raise and company car, please.

The Expanse Season 2 - Still great sci-fi. Still let down by hammy acting and dialogue.

Tried first episode of Back, the new comedy with Mitchell and Webb, but it just feels like a really tedious Peep Show. Very predictable and unfunny.

Yeah that's a little funky, isn't it? Makes me feel like I shouldn't be watching it so late in the day.

I enjoyed this show a lot. At first the plot seemed too unrealistic (and derivative), but then it moves so fast you don't really care - a few episodes in and I was happy to suspend disbelief just to see where it was gonna go. Good pacing, and a unique tone - a weird mix of somber and campy. But yeah the color grading was kind of ridiculous, wish they had dialed that down. 

please provide 3 pros and 3 cons of "curb your enthusiasm" which i'm considering starting watching. i recently caught the trailer for the new season and i found about 15% of it quite funny.

I got one con, it's not very funny. 

there are about 3-4 episodes that are some of the funniest tv ever and then a whole bunch of decent ones but don't binge watch because it will becoming incredibly samey. It starts as a sitcom of invented problems for a rich guy but then develops into this bizarre borscht belt routine with j b smoove. It's funny

If you weren't a Seinfeld fan, I'd probly say don't bother. Larry comes off as the stereotypical crass Hollywood Jew, but he plays a parody of himself. If you can get into it, there are only a few weak seasons. One is based entirely on a Seinfeld reunion that never happened.

please provide 3 pros and 3 cons of "curb your enthusiasm" which i'm considering starting watching. i recently caught the trailer for the new season and i found about 15% of it quite funny.

pros:

1. when it's funny, it is very funny

2. the recurring cast is excellent

3. j b smoove

cons:

1. it's cringe comedy

2. every episode is exactly the same

3. j b smoove doesn't show up until season 6

Pros:

1. Very clever

2. Every event that happens in the first couple seasons has a payoff.

3. Larry David plays a terrible human being that always gets what's coming to him.

Cons:

1. It's rich people having "problems."

2. You can usually figure out where it's going after you watch a few episodes.

3. Watching him fall into the same pitfalls gets a bit dull.

Also, it's mostly improv, and when it's great you can't even tell, but when you can tell it's a bit heavy handed.

Edited by Braintree