IGNORED

Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album /...I Care Because You Do

i was just listening to the rdj album this week ............it's just too damn cutesy with the melodies, wacky instrumentation, and such.

lol thats why it's fucking great!!!

hahah, I love this album for all the reasons you describe. It's like a pshycedelic, IDM soundtrack to my childhood. Me and The Twin are roughly the same age and I know exactly where he is coming from on this album. I sincerly love it. And I expect it is not made to particulary age well, it supposed to be wistfull and nostalgic.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was just listening to the rdj album this week ............it's just too damn cutesy with the melodies, wacky instrumentation, and such.

lol thats why it's fucking great!!!

hahah, I love this album for all the reasons you describe. It's like a pshycedelic, IDM soundtrack to my childhood. Me and The Twin are roughly the same age and I know exactly where he is coming from on this album. I sincerly love it. And I expect it is not made to particulary age well, it supposed to be wistfull and nostalgic.

i'm not saying it's not great, just weak compared to his other albums. i can appreciate richard's extraordinary ability to channel that childlike enthusiasm and playfulness into the music, but it's just a little disappointing to hear so many songs of this type in a relatively short album. don't get me wrong, my favorites on rdj album are still monstrous (girl/boy, carn marth, and yellow calx).

then again i started with drukqs and worked my way backwards so my sense of expectation is probably/definitely askew. in any event, i'd prefer more of this sort of music in future than more analord-y type stuff.

think of Drukqs as him perfecting the whole "drill n bass" craft of it....whereas the RDJ album was an experimentation phase...in that context its all the more impressive considering the quality of it all.

• 3 months later...
Dear Customer,

We are sorry to announce that the vinyl re-issues of Aphex Twin's 'I Care Because You Do' and 'Richard D. James LP' have been delayed further.

Warp have had additional problems with manufacturing and have not yet been able to launch the full production run.

In order to ensure the quality of the final product they have set new release dates of the 13th December 2012 for 'Richard D. James' and 21st January 2013 for 'I Care Because You Do'.

We have been advised that Bleep may receive stock for both records before Christmas. If we do, we will notify you and ship it straight away.

Regardless, we will be shipping all copies of 'Richard D. James' before Christmas.

Serious fuck ups going on.

It's a welcome re-issue, especially for people who haven't experienced it yet. I still think it's a great release and absolutely

ahead of the curve for its time. It's odd to hear criticism's (not necessarily on this board) of it saying it's dated

and not as cutting edge as Come to Daddy etc. If anything, it still feels more subversive than his subsequent output in some ways.

It's a captivating album and individual and strange enough to exist in its own time zone as far as I'm concerned.

I still think it's a great release and absolutely

ahead of the curve for its time. It's odd to hear criticism's (not necessarily on this board) of it saying it's dated

and not as cutting edge as Come to Daddy etc. If anything, it still feels more subversive than his subsequent output in some ways.

It's a captivating album and individual and strange enough to exist in its own time zone as far as I'm concerned.

100% agree. It's got so much fucking ENERGY. You can hear him really pouring hours of toil and obsession into the later stuff, but on this release it just pours out like maple syrup. Might even be a suitable replacement for certain antidepressants.

Ack. I looked at the track listing and realized I DO already have this on vinyl. For some reason I thought the CD was the official version with the 18 pound snare rush mix on it. But WTF it's not on there. Oh god I need that track on wax.

Never thought I could say this but I'm kind of sick of ICBYD. I think I could only listen to it for nostalgia now.

QED I'm going to have to pass on this one :/

Guest Gravity

Ack. I looked at the track listing and realized I DO already have this on vinyl. For some reason I thought the CD was the official version with the 18 pound snare rush mix on it. But WTF it's not on there. Oh god I need that track on wax.

Yeah, when RDJ Album was brought over to the US it was bundled with the Girl/Boy EP. It's probably really cheap on discogs or ebay if you want it.

• 2 years later...
Guest bitroast

I really do despise the production on this record. It's too harsh. Makes my ears cry.

the warp reissue in particular ?

anybody who doesn't like RDJ album should be shot

uh also it's cool it was made on a computor in 1996 or whatever? Shit's inspiring when u just have jeskola buzz and no fancy analogs. Like it's just sooo woozy in parts

Amazing album. No other tracks i've heard of his seem to sound like they were done in the same era. Even some of the unreleased ones (that were probably done around the same time) don't seem to match

For me it's his best album hands down, I think a lot of that has to do with emotional nostalgic attachments and so on, but even ignoring that it's still pretty amazing. It's weird to hear some people saying it sounds dated today, still sounds as fresh as ever to me.

Archived