IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

My birthday was over a month ago and when my friends came over to my house my wife told them "he likes chocolate and beer" and this (and a few since eaten candy bars) is what I ended up with... :biggrin:

rYwi8cN.jpg

Doesn't include the dozen and half or so I already drank (a few of them were in 6-packs). I look forward to posting a few reviews here later, normally I just have cheap beer in the fridge in my effort to save money.

I really like that banana bread beer. Did you like it?

Double Chocolate is pretty decent, idk if i'd say it's worth the $16 though, but pretty good... Not much to complain about if it was a gift. Also... mmmmm Nocturnum. What's that Ommegang one on the right?

Answers in order:

- Delirium Nocturnum is great, I'd had it before and was glad to be given another bottle.

- Love the banana bread bear, I had one years ago when my wife told me Bananaweizen was her favorite when she lived in Germany

- lol Newcastle - I like it personally but some people LOVE that beer. I've read it has the working class affiliation to it but is now simply a popular brand - is it like the PBR of the UK or something?

- $16!? I don't think I've seen it for that much...maybe it is in TX though - I've personally only had the Young's cholocate stout myself. I look forward to trying it.

- Three Philosophers is the one in question - I've been recommended it by many friends even before I was given one. I'll probably save it for last.

I actually haven't had most of them yet. I'll be working late and long hours in the next two months so these are basically my source of sanity for when I get home.

I recognise and have drank on a few occasions Delirium.

I remember once me and my friends drinking on an all day session in Windsor and it was my round which ended the final round of the day and I got four bottles of this stuff lol. As you can imagine after we all individualy crawled out the taxi home it was bedtime. Hahah, good times.

Edited by beerwolf

I like Newcastle Brown Ale. It goes in and out of fashion but it' not a bad drop. Rather that than mind numbing generic lager in otherwords.

Edited by beerwolf

It used to be massive in rock/metal music circles (Newki Brown), go to a pub before seeing a gig and almost everyone was drinking it. Last decade or so it seems to of gone off the radar.

However its one of those drinks that even now if you have a bottle of it, other people spy it and and before you know it they are ordering it at the bar lol.

Granted its not a posh beer but its fucking tasty.

I'd send the Newcastle Brown Ale back to who it came from and never speak to them again.

lol, yeah spotted that. Complete with "IMPORTED FROM ENGLAND" sticker on the neck.

Exotic!

ahahaha oh geez I'll never look at a bottle the same again

I've heard that Lonestar fucking sells for much more at bars outside of Texas - specifically I was told once that a NYC bar sold Lonestar at "import" prices which is absurd but hilarious. I never buy Newcastle but I always enjoy drinking one - it's one of those beers some people like to stock their fridges with.

Edited by joshuatx

As I mentioned earlier I'm on a super budget at home so it's usually PBR or lonestar 12/24 packs at home but when I do go for cheaper "real" beer I usually pick up a six pack from a Texan brewery (Real Ale especially but also St. Arnold, Shiner, Independence, Rahr...) or one of the more common American independent brewers.

My friend works for Real Ale and he literally brings dozens of new and completely free beer bottles at any party/get together he goes to. They always put out great ales and IPAs.

Edited by joshuatx

Don't get me wrong now. Am quite partial to a newkie brown.

Just looked very incongruous in amongst the other (actually exotic/interesting) beer.

You're right about the PBR, it would be like I posted that picture but you replaced the NBA with a PBR (and it had a "IMPORTED FROM USA!" rosette stuck to it")

*edit*

Newkie broon also has it's own super hero:

brown-bottle.jpg

Edited by hello spiral

• 2 weeks later...

As a Geordie I'm contractually obliged to respond in this thread.

Newcastle Brown Ale is known as 'dog' on Tyneside and people calling it 'Newkie Brown' is a relatively recent and outside the NE thing. Stop it. Don't call it dog though, that would be worse, akin to football commentator's referring to the 'toon'.

In Newcastle itself NBA has a reputation as an old man and alky's drink. It was the drink of choice of my benign alcoholic grandfather. Its 4.7%, while not high compared to today's craft beer wankery, was substantially above most bitters you'd find in working men's clubs and would keep people happily pissed up during the day.

Growing up in the 90s in Newcastle, the other people who drank it were generally those not from Tyneside but from some shithole pit village in County Durham or Northumberland who would go drinking in Newcastle at the weekend and needed to assert their Geordie identity lest they be mistaken for a mackem. What it actually signified was I'm 17 years old and from Cramlington, and me da's picking is up at 11.

Everybody else just drank fosters, heineken, stella, theakston's bitters and cheap triples.

Not that it wasn't held in some affection. The brewery was located next to St James', and on a Saturday the town centre would fill with the smell of malt and the sound of the match. Scottish and Newcastle also sponsored Newcastle United during the late 90s and the iconic blue star appeared on the shirts during the clubs most successful recent period.

It's also used in cooking. Makes good beer batter and is sometimes added to the dough for stottie. A stottie being a type of round, doughy bread, usually split and filled with ham and pease pudding.

First time I ever saw it on tap was when I lived in the States, where it had been re-invented and re-marketed.

It's actually a decent beer, unlike PBR. The only similarity is the play on working class roots.

So a lot more authentic than the poseur's beers it's surrounded by in that photo (that's not a dis, I like my poseur's beers too).

I moved near a Stone Brewery Tap Outlet / Store and have been ODing on ridiculously fresh growler fills. Really friendly staff, too.

They tapped two kegs of 15th Anniversary Black IPA today, but were out by 3pm when I came in. Dammit.

Got some of this instead:

http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/

utemu5u6.jpg

(Enjoy by 4.20.13 "Devastatingly Dank" IPA)

Edited by baph

Guest uptown devil

nice, we had all the vertical epics as well as a few enjoy by ipa's here in denver so maybe that will show up as well.

currently enjoying this barrel aged sour saison:

BStH2Y9.jpg

quite good.

As a Geordie I'm contractually obliged to respond in this thread.

Newcastle Brown Ale is known as 'dog' on Tyneside and people calling it 'Newkie Brown' is a relatively recent and outside the NE thing. Stop it. Don't call it dog though, that would be worse, akin to football commentator's referring to the 'toon'.

In Newcastle itself NBA has a reputation as an old man and alky's drink. It was the drink of choice of my benign alcoholic grandfather. Its 4.7%, while not high compared to today's craft beer wankery, was substantially above most bitters you'd find in working men's clubs and would keep people happily pissed up during the day.

Growing up in the 90s in Newcastle, the other people who drank it were generally those not from Tyneside but from some shithole pit village in County Durham or Northumberland who would go drinking in Newcastle at the weekend and needed to assert their Geordie identity lest they be mistaken for a mackem. What it actually signified was I'm 17 years old and from Cramlington, and me da's picking is up at 11.

Everybody else just drank fosters, heineken, stella, theakston's bitters and cheap triples.

Not that it wasn't held in some affection. The brewery was located next to St James', and on a Saturday the town centre would fill with the smell of malt and the sound of the match. Scottish and Newcastle also sponsored Newcastle United during the late 90s and the iconic blue star appeared on the shirts during the clubs most successful recent period.

It's also used in cooking. Makes good beer batter and is sometimes added to the dough for stottie. A stottie being a type of round, doughy bread, usually split and filled with ham and pease pudding.

First time I ever saw it on tap was when I lived in the States, where it had been re-invented and re-marketed.

It's actually a decent beer, unlike PBR. The only similarity is the play on working class roots.

So a lot more authentic than the poseur's beers it's surrounded by in that photo (that's not a dis, I like my poseur's beers too).

This was very informative! Nice to read about the beer from someone who grew up with it instead of outsider descriptions.

I had the Stone enjoy by 11.09.12 and it was amazing. Sadly Stone doesn't distribute here yet. They're currently in the process of choosing distributors for my state though, and I've heard that they could be in stores as soon as a couple of months!

Enjoyed a Goose Island tap takeover last night; Bourbon County Stout, Big John, and Night Stalker mmmmmmm

Niiice! BBC is one of my favorite beers ever (and fav fap material)

Could you tell that all three stouts come from the same brewery by their sweet and smoky taste profile?